Years ago I bought a head+cab combo, it served me well however recently my amp went belly up. My cab is a 4x8, I like it because it pushes out massive sound and volume but also sounds really light and defined. Not to mention it is smaller in size and light in weight so it is very easy to load in and out and transport. Keeping with that way of thinking I have been looking into possibly getting the Orange Micro Terror. I have seen them at Guitar Center's sometimes going for less then $100 used.

I have watched a few YouTube videos with sound clips and read a few reviews and the consensus overall is for the money and value they are a hell of a little amp. They mention is has pretty much all the same settings as the bigger brother Tiny Terror but the components and electronics are different.

Just looking for opinions from you who have either used or currently own and use the Micro Terror and what you think about it. Would it be a good purchase for me or should I look for and invest in something else. Right now I only have a budget of around $120-150 so I am looking used and obviously not expecting to find "JCM 800 quality." Thanks.
I'd save my money up for something a bit better.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
I have tried one for 15 minutes through a 1x12" with a v30.
Sounded "grainy" to me, with grainy being the opposite of smooth - the distortion in particular had this mid-low ugly sounding distortion.

Nothing special, definitely.

Also it's not much of a tube amp - it has a single preamp tube and some OpAmps help raising the gain in the pre to achieve that much distortion.
It also has a solid stare class A/B power amp.

In your budget the only amp I'm thinking might work nicely for you is a used blackheart BH15, tho ymmv.

Do you need an amp that can do loud cleans?
What sounds are you looking for?
Please provide bands/songs for reference.

Also what cab and what speakers are you using if I may ask?
I've been thinking about a 4x8" or 2x8" recently and I'm looking for options
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
It's worth buying as a backup/practice amp but I would look for something better for performance.
Look around for a Kustom 15H. I see them used for around $100.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
In my oppinion it's only practice amp. Mayge something from Laney ? CUB ?
If you already have a cab and you want tube sounds, how about the H&K Tubemeister 5 head, Randall Diavlo 5 head or maybe the Blackheart BH5H?

Heard the first two and was pretty impressed for the money. The H&K has quite a few options and a nice redbox DI. Both might be stretching your budget a bit but offer far more then the tiny terror. Which is imho pretty limited in tones.
Gear Whore
Thanks for the suggestions. My budget is pretty tight right now, however I'll keep my eyes open for one of your suggestions to come up. May have to wait a bit, but at least I have my Marshall combo to get me by for the time being.
The micro terror is a great bedroom amp considering they cost next to nothing. Dont be fooled by the size, its still 20 watts and loud enough to upset the neighbours when dimed.

The main reason people say they sound thin and tinny is because they dont use them properly - volume barely up but with the gain on full. Most people on youtube are using them like this, and is why some videos sound so bad.

To get a nice full sounding tone using a micro terror or tiny terror, you need to have that volume knob up to at least 12 o clock position, 3 o clock position even better. Keep the gain below 3 o clock and use pedals instead if you want a heavy rock sound.

The main reason is because your speakers need to have a decent amount of beef behind them to achieve that bigger sounding tone. Volume on 0.1 will barely move the speaker cone.

Try a dimed micro terror into a 4x12 loaded with vintage G12H. Defintiely not thin and tinny.

Dont forget your guitar has knobs too. The amp is only one part of the equation. This is worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkGCvLstPrE
Bygone Tones
Vintage Guitar Speakers & Cabinets
Last edited by bygone_tones at May 14, 2015,
i think they are pretty badass. the 8" speakers are terrible though. i tried one with an orange ppc112 and a 1960a cab, totally different amp through decent speakers. also if you hit it with an OD, it sounds much better. i am going to buy one just to use it as a toy.

i don't think there is better for $100 (used), especially something with quite a bit of gain on tap.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by *Def*
If you already have a cab and you want tube sounds, how about the H&K Tubemeister 5 head, Randall Diavlo 5 head or maybe the Blackheart BH5H?

Heard the first two and was pretty impressed for the money. The H&K has quite a few options and a nice redbox DI. Both might be stretching your budget a bit but offer far more then the tiny terror. Which is imho pretty limited in tones.

I might be in the minority but imho the Tubemiester sounds like ass. (the 5 and 18w. The 36 is quite as bad but still not very good for the price)
it's not all tube either. the cleans get really shrill, their gain is harsh and just generally brittle. The Stock tubes (all 2 of them) are really mediocer and just generally not nice, the power tubealso is some weird tube that's kind of hard to find. its also only 5 watts so it cant really compete for volume with the MICRO terror.

for the price you could get a Jet City. that'd sound so much better than the H&K, keep up in a band, and have 2 channels.

The price of the H&K is 4 times the Op's budget, and saying how I consistently see Microterrors for $50-60 used.

the orange will be able to play with drums a lot easier than those you mentioned too.

the terrors are fun lil amps. they dont sound bad by any means but as you said yourself: they're no JCM800.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Quote by klejst
Right now I only have a budget of around $120-150 so I am looking used and obviously not expecting to find "JCM 800 quality."

On that budget you aren’t going to do much better. But you can always build a rig piecemeal. Start with the Micro Terror, and try to get it used with a cabinet. When you have another $200 watch Craigslist for someone selling a 2x12 and lowball to get it for $200 or less. Then start saving up for a Tiny Terror or an OR15. And then start saving for an OR120.
Quote by bygone_tones
The main reason people say they sound thin and tinny is because they dont use them properly - volume barely up but with the gain on full. Most people on youtube are using them like this, and is why some videos sound so bad.

That and people tend to buy them with the matching 1x8 and then they wonder why it sounds like a speaker jammed into a lunchbox.
Quote by jpnyc
That and people tend to buy them with the matching 1x8 and then they wonder why it sounds like a speaker jammed into a lunchbox.

BIG +3.1415

Put it into a 2x12 cab and it really wakes up. The 1x8 is shite.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I'm honestly considering getting one and a 1x12 cabinet for recording at home so I can leave my 6505 at my drummers house for band practice. Not to hijack the thread or sound like I'm not contributing, but it seems to be a really cool answer for a compact unit for home recording that doesn't take up much real estate and just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Dual Terror FTW
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Dual Terror FTW

hell yea, i love mine.

i just got a rockerverb 50 mki a few days ago (incoming NAD post), and love the damn thing, but its not replacing my dual terror. they both kick ass, but the rockerverb is pure secks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
hell yea, i love mine.

i just got a rockerverb 50 mki a few days ago (incoming NAD post), and love the damn thing, but its not replacing my dual terror. they both kick ass, but the rockerverb is pure secks.

Congrats!