Page 1 of 5
I hate when people say "EXspecially!!"

There are others like that but I'm too damn lazy to think about it. What's your favorite bastardization of the English language?

Have you ever committed an act of spontaneous physical violence against another person as a result?
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Aloominum
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
The extra "x" is one of my pet peeves as well. "I axed him if it was ok."

No you didn't you illiterate dolt, you ASKED him. If you axed him you are probably going to jail!

Then there's "nucular", but that's too easy.

acrost

offen

I'm sure I'll think of others.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Nero Galon
Aloominum

Is correct in the US. We've even altered the spelling to make it so...and had enough clout to make it stick internationally.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I'm pretty anal over who and whom, and ending sentences with prepositions.
Cumfterble.

It's CUM-FOR-TA-BLE, you twat.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Bring da amberlamps!

Too easy......

Milk called Melk

I hate the double negative phrases
"I didn't see nothing"
So you did see something?
"Nah. I didn't see nuffin!"
It's "I didn't see anything", or "I saw nothing", you ret@rd
Last edited by bdof at May 6, 2015,
worsh instead of wash. though I just think it's hilarious and have a hard time not cracking up every time I hear it
"pacifically"

there's an 's' at the start m8
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Nero Galon
Aloominum

btw you know britain made aluminium up right
Quote by Arby911
Is correct in the US. We've even altered the spelling to make it so...and had enough clout to make it stick internationally.

nope

the guy who named aluminum named it alumium but referenced it as aluminum

the brits changed it to aluminium because they're smug bastards
Last edited by whywefight at May 6, 2015,
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
I hate when people say "EXspecially!!"

There are others like that but I'm too damn lazy to think about it. What's your favorite bastardization of the English language?

Have you ever committed an act of spontaneous physical violence against another person as a result?

Everything you're speaking is a bastardization.

it's stupid because it's just a way to feel superior.

Things like saying ax instead of ask is just a fossilization of an older form of English that was made it through the years. The word ask is actually the bastardization of a word pronounced like ax. Pretty sure it started out as the anglo-saxon ascion which was said as axion in some traditions. Basically every word we use has gone through a process of being slurred or changed over time until it's completely different.

Quote by bdof
Bring da amberlamps!

Too easy......

Milk called Melk

I hate the double negative phrases
"I didn't see nothing"
So you did see something?
"Nah. I didn't see nuffin!"
It's "I didn't see anything", or "I saw nothing", you ret@rd

Pretty much more languages use multiple negatives then don't. English originally had multiple negatives but we've shifted over time. If you understand what they're saying then it's still grammatical. You're just being a cunt about completely constructed rules that were made to make English similar to Latin. Just like splitting an infinitive. Totally works with natural English grammar but we aren't "supposed" to do it because someone decided that was a rule.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at May 6, 2015,
Quote by BladeSlinger
axion

askion*
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
askion*

wat
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
You almost made me think that evolution of language doesn't exist for a second.

Almost.

Better luck next time.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
let's be real though, there isn't much bastardisation of English (except in Africa where you might end up speaking Pidgen or Krio or something)

And outside of that, at least we're not Dutch or French, cause they got it pretty bad as well
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
For some reason people from Wales and the California valleys are known for saying like like all the like time like. Its something i've like tried to stop doing like but sometimes I think **** it like, this is like my identity and I should be proud like.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
It's not just a Welsh thing. I've heard all through the north-west of england, especially Liverpool

sometimes i do it too lol. it's a good one like
it's all coming back

jiro

This
Quote by BladeSlinger
it's stupid because it's just a way to feel superior.

Followed by this
Quote by BladeSlinger
Things like saying ax instead of ask is just a fossilization of an older form of English that was made it through the years. The word ask is actually the bastardization of a word pronounced like ax. Pretty sure it started out as the anglo-saxon ascion which was said as axion in some traditions. Basically every word we use has gone through a process of being slurred or changed over time until it's completely different.

Excape, love that one.

Kinda makes sense, though, I mean you're kind of exiting and kind of escaping? You have to exit to escape, right?
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

a friend of mine says "exspecially" all the time.

it's expecially painful, but i can't bring myself to correct him.

i will make fun of his recent weight gain by asking if he's going for a Dean Norris look, though.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
chimnley. I don't know where you got that L from but it shouldn't be there.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
oh yeah, my grandfather is the king of mispronouncing shit.

Exxon = exion
Valero = varazzo, verizon
tilapia = taluhpeeya or tapalleeya
carafe = cruet

there are more, but i can't remember rn.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Who gives a crap? That's either accent, dialect, or just the way people were raised. Don't pin it down on them. It's not cool bro, not cool at all. And to be fair, English is a dynamic language, with new words invented every year, so how we speak now would probably change after 1000 years or so. If an Elizabethan era person were to come to this forum, won't you think they'd feel like their language was getting butchered? I thought so. Bye
When people say Wednesday as 'wendzday' instead of the proper WED-NEZ-DAY
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Arby911
The extra "x" is one of my pet peeves as well. "I axed him if it was ok."

No you didn't you illiterate dolt, you ASKED him. If you axed him you are probably going to jail!

Then there's "nucular", but that's too easy.

acrost

offen

I'm sure I'll think of others.

axe me if i care
Quote by Hence My Name
Who gives a crap? That's either accent, dialect, or just the way people were raised. Don't pin it down on them. It's not cool bro, not cool at all. And to be fair, English is a dynamic language, with new words invented every year, so how we speak now would probably change after 1000 years or so. If an Elizabethan era person were to come to this forum, won't you think they'd feel like their language was getting butchered? I thought so. Bye

you probably have some weird jersey accent or something and yu are jealous of all of us that have cool accents
it's all coming back

Quote by Bubonic Chronic
This

Followed by this

Excape, love that one.

Kinda makes sense, though, I mean you're kind of exiting and kind of escaping? You have to exit to escape, right?

yea, you definitely have the slightest clue about linguistic shift.

the meaning or etymology doesn't mean shit. Most words become slurred because it's easier to say. That new sound eventually takes on its own meaning and the cycle continues. That's why we have stuff like amalgamated compounds where we don't even recognize the word as a compound because one part of it has lost meaning.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
^ e.g. 'Murica, the word, not the place.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
^ e.g. 'Murica, the word, not the place.

some amalgamated compounds are:

garlic
lady
lord
bridegroom
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
can we talk about what a stupid word amalgamate is? like wtf
it's all coming back

Quote by behind_you
English itself is a bastardized language

yup.

Its funny how so many british people take the piss out of Americans for how they pronounce certain words differently to them, when the Americanisms themselves originate from England.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Thrashtastic15

i don't even pronounce the second t in my own city.

no faster way to identify an outsider than if they actually pronounce the name of this city correctly

we're like new orleans minus the witch doctors and roadkill on a plate

Chipolte. Why would you switch the l and the t? It doesn't even make sense

Related: Jalapeño. Halla-Peeeno. There's a fkin ñ there son and the e is short.
Page 1 of 5