So Anastasia by Slash. I've been learning the song and now suddenly for some reason I've had problems with the acoustic intro. When you pluck the chords at the part when you descend back to the starting note I do upstrokes. When ascending downstrokes. It's not meant to be played with a pick but I'll do that anyways. I didn't have difficulties a few days ago but now I've just been overworking the intro again and again..

Let's just say I had to pluck G from the low E string to the high e fast. Should one be able to descend with upstrokes only? Or is it just easier to use fingers only instead of a pick?
Last edited by Billie_J at May 6, 2015,
And today I have no problems ._. I must've been repeating and just simply overworking it yesterday.
Well shiet. The same problem is back,_,
Are things like this even meant to be played with a pick? Everything's easy but the part where your pluck C# and A# when coming back down (that's three upstrokes)
I don't know why but using this many upstrokes in a row just gets messy. I just somehow start "lagging" with the pick when doing the parts with the upstrokes. The intro is easy with fingers/alternate picking but doing those upstrokes like that just doesn't work..
Quote by Billie_J
Well shiet. The same problem is back,_,
Are things like this even meant to be played with a pick? Everything's easy but the part where your pluck C# and A# when coming back down (that's three upstrokes)
I don't know why but using this many upstrokes in a row just gets messy. I just somehow start "lagging" with the pick when doing the parts with the upstrokes. The intro is easy with fingers/alternate picking but doing those upstrokes like that just doesn't work..

In this particular instance, no, Slash plays it fingerpicked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckk8o4XJDy4

I'm sure you could play it with a pick but it would mean hybrid picking to get some of those dyads (the two notes played at the same time) sounding right anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
In this particular instance, no, Slash plays it fingerpicked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckk8o4XJDy4

I'm sure you could play it with a pick but it would mean hybrid picking to get some of those dyads (the two notes played at the same time) sounding right anyway.

No, you can see him holding his pick with his mouth while playing the intro.
Quote by Billie_J
No, you can see him holding his pick with his mouth while playing the intro.

Yes, that's the point. You could play it with hybrid picking but Slash clearly doesn't.

Unless I'm seriously confused about which part you actually mean...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.