okay so I live on a farm and we have several rifles and shotguns for pest control (ie javalinas, raccoons, coyotes, etc). We have a .270 bolt action, .223 bolt action, .22 browning semi-auto, a .22 marlin semi-auto, a 12 guage pump (forget which manufacturer off hand), and an old Mosin-Nagant that my grandpa bought back in the 50s or 60s from one of them GI Surplus stores.

The Mosin-Nagant is very old, but should still fire. I can dry-fire it (ie firing without any ammo loaded). The springs, sears, pins, etc sound fine. A little stiff from age, but otherwise good to go. The barrel is rusty, reciver, bolt, mag, etc all have a decent layer of rust and possibly corrosion. I just know its dirty as hell. The upper handguard and bayonet (if it was a model that could take one), cleaning rod, barrel bands were taken off to reduce weight. This was done by my grandpa when he bought it. <- according to my dad. Taken to a good gunsmith it could be restored. Itd be a ton of work, but its still salvageable.

But that's not what Im asking. I seem to be having some difficulty identifying what model, year, etc, and deciphering the Soviet markings. From what little research Ive done, it seems to be a Soviet-issue M91/30 manufactured by/at Tula.

The date stamp on the barrel looks like it says 1907, and its serial number appears to be 8138. Now its highly unlikely that that early of a serial number made it to the US. Even if it was a war trophy or something, its still a longshot. A lot of the markings have rubbed off with age, so Im thinking it MAY be "1937" which seems more believable, but age has worn the stamp in such a way that it APPEARS to say 1907. <- Im assuming that's the case? I'll post some pics if my Dad will let me (hes kinda paranoid about that stuff so I cant promise anything).

But whatever the year stamp if its '07 or '37, it is DEFINITELY a Soviet M91/30. What do y'all think? I also used this site to help identify everything: http://7.62x54r.net/
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
Don't you think you'd have better luck on a dedicated gun forum?

Even if people do have the guns and stuff here, I doubt many people are up on vintage rifles and identifying factors.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
inb4 the old jokes come back etc
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
for real though, I hear that Mosin Abasi is a good guitarist, never listened to his stuff though so I can't really help. Sorry
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
for real though, I hear that Mosin Abasi is a good guitarist, never listened to his stuff though so I can't really help. Sorry

You said the other day that he was a shotty guitar player.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
The Mosin–Nagant (Russian: Винтовка Мосина, ISO 9: Vintovka Mosina) is a bolt-action, internal magazine-fed, military rifle, developed by the Imperial Russian Army in 1882–91, and used by the armed forces of the Russian Empire, the Soviet Union and various other nations. It is one of the most mass-produced military bolt action rifles in history with over 37 million units produced since its inception in 1891, and much like the AK-47 it has shown up in various conflicts around the world, despite its age and obsolescence.
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
oh you haz Wikipedia on da interwebs! impressive! *sarcasm* :rollseyes:

We love you. God Bless.
all i know is mosins are the sexiest guns ever so cherish that bitch hard

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Baby Joel

His burst fire to semi-auto technique is amazing.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
But that's not what Im asking. I seem to be having some difficulty identifying what model, year, etc, and deciphering the Soviet markings. From what little research Ive done, it seems to be a Soviet-issue M91/30 manufactured by/at Tula.

The date stamp on the barrel looks like it says 1907, and its serial number appears to be 8138,

it is DEFINITELY a Soviet M91/30. What do y'all think?

Without seeing any pictures, I'd have to say it's probably a M91/30 made at the Tula plant in 1907, with a serial number of 8138.

What are you asking? Because you seem to answer your own questions in the same post. It's entirely possible that it is actually an '07 Mosin. I've never heard that piece about early Mosins not making it into the US. There's several people on /r/guns with World War I or earlier era Mosins and this rifle is from that same era.

If you're looking to restore it, I wouldn't. The Mosin Nagant is one of the most common firearms around. The Soviets plans to bring communism to the world apparently involved drowning their enemies in millions upon millions of rifles until they literally suffocated from the weight. You can buy an M91/30 in good condition for about $180 today. If you want a Hex receiver or an M44 carbine, that'll run $230-$250. Basically, you're going to spend more to restore the gun than it is worth and I don't know how well you're going to be able to do, depending on how bad the rusting and corrosion is. The gunsmithing fees alone are going to dwarf the cost of just buying a new rifle. The gun might function well, but if there's rust on the outside, there is most certainly rust and pitting in the barrel. This will drastically cut down accuracy and the Mosin is already considered to be less-than-stellar in the accuracy department when it's in good condition.

I don't want to just beat you down about how shitty your rifle is. It's definitely cool to have a rifle that is potentially over 100 years old. My oldest is a K98k made in 1943.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at May 7, 2015,
Quote by VanTheKraut
Without seeing any pictures, I'd have to say it's probably a M91/30 made at the Tula plant in 1907, with a serial number of 8138.

What are you asking? Because you seem to answer your own questions in the same post. It's entirely possible that it is actually an '07 Mosin. I've never heard that piece about early Mosins not making it into the US. There's several people on /r/guns with World War I or earlier era Mosins and this rifle is from that same era.

If you're looking to restore it, I wouldn't. The Mosin Nagant is one of the most common firearms around. The Soviets plans to bring communism to the world apparently involved drowning their enemies in millions upon millions of rifles until they literally suffocated from the weight. You can buy an M91/30 in good condition for about $180 today. If you want a Hex receiver or an M44 carbine, that'll run $230-$250. Basically, you're going to spend more to restore the gun than it is worth and I don't know how well you're going to be able to do, depending on how bad the rusting and corrosion is. The gunsmithing fees alone are going to dwarf the cost of just buying a new rifle. The gun might function well, but if there's rust on the outside, there is most certainly rust and pitting in the barrel. This will drastically cut down accuracy and the Mosin is already considered to be less-than-stellar in the accuracy department when it's in good condition.

I don't want to just beat you down about how shitty your rifle is. It's definitely cool to have a rifle that is potentially over 100 years old. My oldest is a K98k made in 1943.

what Im saying is the M91/30 was a regular M91 that received design upgrades in 1930. Hence the name 91/30. So if the 91/30 didn't exist until 1930, and the rifle was made in1907...how could it be a 91/30 that was issued 23 years before it was actually manufactured? thatd be like saying you had an AK47 that was made in the mid-20s. Simply not possible. Unless they (Tula) used a 1907 barrel, re-machined it to 91/30 specs, and stuck it in 91/30 stock. Which they did do, such examples are commonly known as ex-Dragoons or ex-M91s. So its plausible that could be the case. I wish it still had the handguard and bayonet, that would REALLY help confirm it.

And yes I know Mosin-Nagants are dirt cheap. According to Wikipedia, they made around 37 million of these. Depending on condition Ive seen them go for as little as $75-$500 easy, unless you have the sniper variant which runs about $500-700 (last time I checked). But yeah Mosin-Nagants are ridiculously dirt cheap especially for vintage rifles.

We love you. God Bless.
Last edited by neptune1988 at May 7, 2015,
Quote by neptune1988
what Im saying is the M91/30 was a regular M91 that received design upgrades in 1930. Hence the name 91/30. So if the 91/30 didn't exist until 1930, and the rifle was made in1907...how could it be a 91/30 that was issued 23 years before it was actually manufactured? thatd be like saying you had an AK47 that was made in the mid-20s. Simply not possible. Unless they (Tula) used a 1907 barrel, re-machined it to 91/30 specs, and stuck it in 91/30 stock. Which they did do, such examples are commonly known as ex-Dragoons or ex-M91s. So its plausible that could be the case. I wish it still had the handguard and bayonet, that would REALLY help confirm it.

And yes I know Mosin-Nagants are dirt cheap. According to Wikipedia, they made around 37 million of these. Depending on condition Ive seen them go for as little as $75-$500 easy, unless you have the sniper variant which runs about $500-700 (last time I checked). But yeah Mosin-Nagants are ridiculously dirt cheap especially for vintage rifles.

The soviets are pretty famous for taking surplus guns, completely disassembling them, servicing all the parts while throwing away anything broken, and then rebuilding rifles from the pile of parts to export to allies or for sale. You probably have one of these mixed parts guns. If it were me, I'd hold onto it as a great momento of my grandpa and buy a different rifle for hunting or whatever your chosen application is. If the exterior is rusted, then the bore is also likely rusted and you'll have to spend 50% of the price of a new gun to buy a new barrel if you want it to shoot straight.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at May 7, 2015,
where in the **** did you get a bolt action .270?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
where in the **** did you get a bolt action .270?

That's a really common bolt caliber. Ruger offers their American series in a .270 chambering. Savage offers the ultra-popular, ultra-afforable Axis and Axis II series in it. One of the most common bolt action in America, the Remington 700 is offered in .270. Winchester, Tikka, CZ, Thompson. I can't think of a rifle manufacturer that doesn't make a bolt action in .270. It's a really popular deer caliber, so everyone makes one.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Last edited by VanTheKraut at May 8, 2015,
Damn those Mosins taking over our country and putting mosks everywhere!! Keep bri-en bri-ish!
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by VanTheKraut
That's a really common bolt caliber. Ruger offers their American series in a .270 chambering. Savage offers the ultra-popular, ultra-afforable Axis and Axis II series in it. One of the most common bolt action in America, the Remington 700 is offered in .270. Winchester, Tikka, CZ. I can't think of a rifle manufacturer that doesn't make a bolt action in .270. It's a really popular deer caliber.

Das a good gun right there.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
what does that have to do with anything?
anyway, the .270 is a Sako for whoever asked it. we don't really use the bolt actions anymore for some reason. we mostly use the .22's (and yes, theyre LR)

also not to be a dick or whatever, but PLEASE do not refer to them as 'guns'. The term 'gun' refers only to pistols, guns they use on naval ships, or guns in artillery batteries. otherwise refer to them as rifles, weapons, or firearms. (sorry but I was in ROTC back in high school so its kinda been drilled into me)

We love you. God Bless.
Last edited by neptune1988 at May 8, 2015,
Quote by VanTheKraut
The soviets are pretty famous for taking surplus guns, completely disassembling them, servicing all the parts while throwing away anything broken, and then rebuilding rifles from the pile of parts to export to allies or for sale. You probably have one of these mixed parts guns. If it were me, I'd hold onto it as a great momento of my grandpa and buy a different rifle for hunting or whatever your chosen application is. If the exterior is rusted, then the bore is also likely rusted and you'll have to spend 50% of the price of a new gun to buy a new barrel if you want it to shoot straight.

yes that true. which can make it difficult to correctly identify certain firearms. so-called "franken-rifles" are fairly common.

We love you. God Bless.
Quote by neptune1988

also not to be a dick or whatever, but PLEASE do not refer to them as 'guns'. The term 'gun' refers only to pistols, guns they use on naval ships, or guns in artillery batteries. otherwise refer to them as rifles, weapons, or firearms. (sorry but I was in ROTC back in high school so its kinda been drilled into me)

I don't mean to be a dick, but your ROTC instructor was a moron.

Oxford definition of gun:
A weapon incorporating a metal tube from which bullets, shells, or other missiles are propelled by explosive force, typically making a characteristic loud, sharp noise.

Merriam-Webster:
A weapon that shoots bullets or shells.

Cambridge:
A weapon from which bullets or shells (= explosive containers) are fired through a metal tube

"Gun" is correct when referring to any firearm. Including rifles.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by neptune1988

lol, I refer to every single firearm as a "gat."

does this aggravate you
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought

a gat is man's best friend
KIFFLOM
Quote by Dreadnought

does this aggravate you

if youre from the hood...no.

and yes vlasco it MIGHT be an ex-Dragoon
see question number 51:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinFAQ.htm

without handguard, Im not sure how to confirm if it is an ex-Dragoon. But otherwise its a fair possibility.

We love you. God Bless.
Last edited by neptune1988 at May 9, 2015,
I'll see if my dad will let me post some pics in the next few days. cant promise anything. hes kinda paranoid about that stuff, but we'll see.

We love you. God Bless.
I've had a couple ex-dragoons in the past so I can probably tell you if it is one when I see it. No guarantees, though.