I want to increase m sustain and am considering getting an overdrive pedal. I have a randall rd5c diavlo so it has tons of gain on it. I would be using the pedal for solos and right now am considering a ts808 or a fulldrive2 mosfet. I found both for relatively the same price so that wont be an issue. I just don't know much about pedals I have never owned one. I play lots of mastodon and tool. Some of there stuff calls for some pretty good sustain that I have trouble getting. I know that some of the members of mastodon use a tube screamer in their rig. I have also been trying to fine tune my technique to allow for more sustain when bending notes. If you guys have any other pedals that would be good for mastodon tool tones feel free to suggest.
No, it's been around a few years. I think they just changed the paint. If you have enough gain then you probably don't want an overdrive, most likely need compressor and I guess the boost can tighter things up a bit or just punch it in for solos.
Quote by diabolical
No, it's been around a few years. I think they just changed the paint. If you have enough gain then you probably don't want an overdrive, most likely need compressor and I guess the boost can tighter things up a bit or just punch it in for solos.

yeah you are probably right. I think ill get that and a tube screamer and compare them. If that is just a new paint job for it why can I not find an odler version or anything?Its liek that pedal appeared out of nowhere.
I have considerable experience with those pedals. The sustain on the Fulldrive 2, in the comp-cut position and with the boost engaged, is ridiculous. If sustain is what you're after, the Fulldrive does it really well. The caveat to that, though, is that I've found it to be a pretty finicky pedal. In other words, it sounds great with certain settings, on certain amps, but then again, that's true with most pedals--but especially with the Fulldrive. I tend to use in the same way that you intend to use it--to add some sustain and "umph," to an already-dirty amp.
Last edited by Fuzz Aldrin at May 6, 2015,
Full volume on the amp and stand close to it. It has to be loud enough that the sound vibrates the strings.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have collected a number of Ibanez Tube Screamers over the years. I own about 8 different ones (TS808, TS9, Super Tube, TS10 (IMHO the best), TS5, TS7, DS7, Metal Charger) The differences are often subtle. If you want a good Tube Screamer at a low price, buy a TS7 on EBay. You can pick up one for $40.00 or less and it has the TS9 setting and sound just as good as my original TS9 at a small fraction of what a real TS9 would cost. I also recommend the Bad Monkey pedal ($50.00 new). No need to spend big bucks.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Rickholly74
I have collected a number of Ibanez Tube Screamers over the years. I own about 8 different ones (TS808, TS9, Super Tube, TS10 (IMHO the best), TS5, TS7, DS7, Metal Charger) The differences are often subtle. If you want a good Tube Screamer at a low price, buy a TS7 on EBay. You can pick up one for $40.00 or less and it has the TS9 setting and sound just as good as my original TS9 at a small fraction of what a real TS9 would cost. I also recommend the Bad Monkey pedal ($50.00 new). No need to spend big bucks.

Thanks bud for the help I assumed the differences would be super subtle in any variation of TS. I read some of the main differences between the ts808 and ts9 and most of it was technical mumbo jumbo, in other words I wasn't smart enough to understand the differences.If that monkey works just as good as a tube screamer i'm gonna get that cause for 36 bucks you cannot go wrong.
Quote by Fuzz Aldrin
I have considerable experience with those pedals. The sustain on the Fulldrive 2, in the comp-cut position and with the boost engaged, is ridiculous. If sustain is what you're after, the Fulldrive does it really well. The caveat to that, though, is that I've found it to be a pretty finicky pedal. In other words, it sounds great with certain settings, on certain amps, but then again, that's true with most pedals--but especially with the Fulldrive. I tend to use in the same way that you intend to use it--to add some sustain and "umph," to an already-dirty amp.

Did the compression mess with any of your tone? What amps did you try it with?
Sustainiac pickup is an option
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have played it through several amps, including: a Deluxe Reverb, a Princeton, a SamAmp (boutique), a Marshall 8100 (old high-gain solid-state hybrid), and a JCM-2000. It has a harsh, snappy high-end through the Fenders (there are some settings that sound pretty good, though), but it pairs really well with the Marshalls. I guess the take-away is that I wouldn't use it as my only source of overdrive. Instead, it's a pedal that works better stacked or going into an overdriven amp.

The compression sounds a little tight without the boost, but once you flip that on, it gets pretty nasty. Honestly, the boost seems to work best in this setting, for whatever reason. The comp-cut without the boost has the least dirt, but with the boost engaged, it has more dirt than the other two settings boosted and dimed. It doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

Anyway, it's not a perfect pedal, but it's really versatile and I think that it might give you some more juice. Pick one up used and, if you don't like it, you can probably unload it, without taking a loss.