Im replacing my epiphone les paul standard stock pickups with Bare Knuckle Mule pickups. Im planning on replacing them myself, and I was hoping to keep the coil splitting. Is this something I can do myself? Its my first time doing any sort of soldering on my guitar, so Im very inexperienced. Should I just bring it to a store? Ive read about how easy it is to replace pickups, and Im not worried about that part, but I haven't found any guide to keeping the coil splitting. Thanks in advance.
Most pickups made these days are wired in such a way that they have wires dedicated to coil splitting features. So its really no more difficult to wire pickups that can be split than those that don't.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
It's not hard to replace pickups and you can easily do it yourself if you even have a little experience with a soldering iron. Just make sure if you get BKPs that you get the 4 conductor version, that will let you coil tap. The 2 conductor is just an output and a ground.

After that just follow BKP's wiring diagrams and you should be good.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Bare knuckle gives you an option of being able to split pickups when you order from them. It's not a difficult job to do yourself just look at the wiring inside and see if you can figure it out, there's lots of information online to help you. Check the seymour Duncan or bare knuckle websites I believe both have what your looking for.
With coil splitting, and even without coil splitting, you would want to make sure that the wires are soldered to the correct spot. On humbuckers that are coil splittable, they'll have 4 colored wires designating what they go to and colors depend on the brand. Be sure to check colors on BareKnuckle pickups, and be sure to follow and have a decent following of a schematic if you're going to do it yourself.

If you are inexperienced with soldering, you can easily check out YouTube and find many tutorials on soldering guitar electronics. Also, listen to the advice that the other have given you in this thread.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Probably not the smartest question but I can't seem to figure out which schematic I need. This is the bare knuckle schematics website https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/schematics.php An epiphone les paul Im replacing both humbuckers, and my guitar has two volume knobs, two tone knobs, and coil splitting is enabled by pulling on the volume pots. Which schematic is right for me?
Quote by LESPAULESS
Probably not the smartest question but I can't seem to figure out which schematic I need. This is the bare knuckle schematics website https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/schematics.php An epiphone les paul Im replacing both humbuckers, and my guitar has two volume knobs, two tone knobs, and coil splitting is enabled by pulling on the volume pots. Which schematic is right for me?

This is the one you will need (it omits the tone pots, but you will likely not have to touch them anyway).

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/downloads/schematics/general/humbuckers/2_hum__2_vol__2_push_pull_tone_coilsplit__3_way_toggle.pdf
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
One point that hasn't been brought up. Coil split needs to be controlled by a switch. On LP's, this is usually done with a push-pull pot. You can also drill a new hole for a separate switch. At least on my Epi LP Standard, the stock volume and tone pots were just regular pots, so when I added new pickups and coil splitting, I also had to order a pair of push-pull pots to replace the stock volume pots.
I would practice with some junk pots and caps first before you start with the new parts if you have never soldered before. It is pretty easy to overheat things like pots and caps and have them ruined.

I would also recommend you get a higher wattage iron (IE not a weller 25w). Even better would be a temperature comtrolable one. The tip you use is also important. I like using pencil tips if I'm soldering connections and wide tips if Im removing big blobs of solder etc...

Also if you havent already, I would recommend upgrading the wiring since youre doing the pickups. Higher quality pots, capacitors and switches go a long way.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The PUs are worth more than your guitar! I did that years ago when I was a young teenager. I put DiMarzios (PAF & SD) on a Taro LP.
Moving on.....
Not sure how yours is wired, but back in January I had gotten my daughter an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro, and when I peeked into the electronics cavity, they had some sort of molex connector thing coming from the pickups and plugging into the first pot, instead of the standard soldering. Might wanna research that if yours aren't soldered directly to the pots.
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Vulture-Satin Black
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Snakebyte-Snow White
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Iron Cross-Snow White
Jackson Pro Series Soloist SL2Q Trans Root Beer Quilt
Jackson SLATXMQ Soloist3-6-Trans Red Quilt
Jackson Pro Series Dinky DK2QM-Chlorine Burst
Jackson Pro Series Monarkh SC-Trans Purple Quilt
Ibanez Iron Label ARZIR20
Schecter Hellraiser C-1-Black Cherry Burst
Ibanez RG-770-Laser Blue
Jackson Kelly-Trans Green Flame
Line 6 Helix LT
Quote by tc1072
Not sure how yours is wired, but back in January I had gotten my daughter an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro, and when I peeked into the electronics cavity, they had some sort of molex connector thing coming from the pickups and plugging into the first pot, instead of the standard soldering. Might wanna research that if yours aren't soldered directly to the pots.

I just saw that. Do you think I should go to the trouble of removing it or just buy another molex connector and fit it to the new pickups?
i would gut it and go with all new components.

i like bournes for pots and switchraft for switch, and sprague orange drops for caps (they are cheap to experiment with and do good for the money). jacks i am not as picky with.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^reported
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.