which option of these would be better?

1. Installing seymour duncan jb pickup on bridge and play solos on it
2. Installing any of Seymour Duncan single coil pickup on neck and play solos on it

please dont ask me about my gear, I just try to improve my guitar's sound.
Can't answer your question without insight into your goals, guitar gods and yes, your gear.

If we don't know what you want to sound like and if your gear has a chance to generate those tones, we can't help you in your tonal journey.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 7, 2015,
Well, purely on my opinion, I prefer neck single coils for solos. It's my favorite lead tone.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Can't answer your question without insight into your goals, guitar gods and yes, your gear.

I own Yamaha Pacifica 112j and using guitar rig as an amp..

basically I just want to improve the sound when playing rock solos such as GNR, Eagles, Pink floyd and such.. I know that I have to buy a new amp but currently I cant. So I thought that maybe getting some SD pup would help
Quote by tas38
Well, purely on my opinion, I prefer neck single coils for solos. It's my favorite lead tone.

So its a better idea then installing slash pickup on bridge for solos as your opinion?
Pickups are basically a final tweak to your tone. Most of why you sound like you do comes from your amp and your pedals.

That said, as a final tonal tweak, your Yamaha is in the right ballpark for Pink Floyd & The Eagles, but not as ideal for G'nR.

One of the things I have learned about David Gilmour is that he tends to use his gear with subtlety. Instead of cranking everything to the max, his pedals often seem to be dialed in to be barely on- each lending a bit of character to the final product instead of defining it. For instance, when he uses a rotary effect- such as from Leslie cabs- he isn't aiming for a high-speed, in your face rotating speaker sound, but instead, for a gentle warble...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

However, since your guitar is a good- but still entry level- guitar, you're probably better served by being patient and saving up your money. Upgrading the pickups in a guitar like that doesn't deliver the big tonal change you want, especially when used with something like amplitube. In addition, starter guitars, almost without regard to their relative quality, tend not to last too long. Over time, they'll develop problems that are either annoying or actually detrimental to your progress as a guitarist.

Don't misunderstand: Pacificas are pretty nice for the price. They're about as well made as is out there for the money. But upgrading the pickups in one is kind of like putting a Ferrari's engine in a Robin Reliant...

Practice, save up your $$$, and upgrade your amp first...unless you wreck your Pacifica first. You'll find that even your Pacifica will sound better through a better amp. If you don't believe me, take your guitar into a music store and start shopping. I bet you'll be surprised with how much better your playing sounds with a better amp.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 7, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Pickups are basically a final tweak to your tone. Most of why you sound like you do comes from your amp and your pedals.

That said, as a final tonal tweak, your Yamaha is in the right ballpark for Pink Floyd & The Eagles, but not as ideal for G'nR.

One of the things I have learned about David Gilmour is that he tends to use his gear with subtlety. Instead of cranking everything to the max, his pedals often seem to be dialed in to be barely on- each lending a bit of character to the final product instead of defining it. For instance, when he uses a rotary effect- such as from Leslie cabs- he isn't aiming for a high-speed, in your face rotating speaker sound, but instead, for a gentle warble...

General question, using thin cable (aux cable)from guitar to PC could affect the sound? the sound I get from Guitar Rig sounds like crap.
Quote by gabisimonov
General question, using thin cable (aux cable)from guitar to PC could affect the sound? the sound I get from Guitar Rig sounds like crap.

I don't know- I hadn't ever done the direct to computer interface thing- but it wouldn't surprise me.

My first guitar cable was pretty cheap. It was thin. It crackled & popped. The jack came off every once in a while. After a few months, I bought a new cable from a different store for about 3x the cost of the first one. Visually, it was quite different: it was coiled where the other was straight, for instance. But also, it was OBVIOUSLY heavier wire, and the jack was rock stable.

Guess what? No pops. No crackle.

You may be better off getting an audio interface instead of a pickup. Like the Roland Duo-Capture or the Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Why don't you get a decent amp like everyone in all your other threads keep telling you to?

Upgrading your pickups will only do so much, but the amp is the biggest part of your tone.
I'm going to tell you the same thing. Get some sort of audio interface.
Running an "aux" cable from the guitar to the mic input (guessing that is what you're doing) is a terrible way to get the guitar into the computer. Spending money on new pickups isn't going to help you.
The Focusrite that Offworld recommends is $100. That's the price of one of the pickups you mentioned.
I would try that first.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by Offworld92
You may be better off getting an audio interface instead of a pickup. Like the Roland Duo-Capture or the Focusrite Scarlett Solo

This. I haven't tried it, but I have heard that plugging straight to the PC just doesn't sound good. You need an audio interface to get decent tones.

Pickups is not the first thing you upgrade if you are not happy with your tone. Humbuckers sound like humbuckers, single coils sound like single coils. Of course there are differences between them, but it's not as big a difference as you may think. It won't completely change the sound of your guitar. The amp you are playing through is the most important part of your tone. If your amp is not good, nothing will sound good through it. Pickups aren't going to magically turn a crappy amp into a good sounding amp. But even a starter guitar will sound decent through a good amp.

I'm not saying pickups don't make a difference. They do, but they won't help achieve what you are after. If your tone is nowhere near Slash, installing a Slash pickup is not going to change anything.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Offworld92

this will help some. the other thing is that in order for you to get better sound from new pickups what you are plugged into has to be able to tell the difference. sorry but my experience with modelling says that often the program can't really pick up on subtle nuances all that well. all fo my strats sound pretty much the same through my POD when recording despite having very different pickups. through an amp you can hear the difference.