Poll: Do you own a Les Paul model guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you own a Les Paul model guitar?
Yes
1 50%
Yes, several!
1 50%
No
0 0%
No, I'm looking to get one!
0 0%
Voters: 2.
Hey, I've just got my first electric guitar, a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro. But with zero knowledge about guitar amps I don't know what could be a suitable amp to buy to this guitar.

I will mostly be playing at home practicing but in time I'm looking to join or form a band and playing some gigs. So I'm looking for something thats good for playing at home, not too big and heavy to carry with me to rehersal with the band or playing a gig and still being able to performe live and when rehearsing without being too weak.

GnR, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Iron Maiden are favourite bands that I will play a lot of songs from.

When I asked the above at a local guitar shop here in Sweden, they suggested:
marshall mg30cfx
or
marshall mg50cfx

Someone a bit more accomplished guitar player then myself have some suggestion or advice on a suitable amp?
Last edited by Hatex at May 7, 2015,
How much were you hoping to spend? People will tell you that Marshall MG series are crap and not worth it, but I have an old MG10, and for lower gain stuff it sounds okay for a first amp.

If you're hoping for something that's going to be able to be your go to amp for a few years as you get better it may be worth looking at something like a Vox Valvtronix, Roland Cube or a Blackstar ID Core. These should all be able to handle the Classic Rock low gain bite for GNR and Led Zeppelin, but also get a higher gain sound for the likes of Metallica. Those amps all have headphone outputs too, which is a nice bonus for learning!
Don't you hate it when you're reading a sentence and it doesn't end how you testicles.

Did you hear the one about the boy with the short atten
Quote by TheKraken
How much were you hoping to spend? People will tell you that Marshall MG series are crap and not worth it, but I have an old MG10, and for lower gain stuff it sounds okay for a first amp.

If you're hoping for something that's going to be able to be your go to amp for a few years as you get better it may be worth looking at something like a Vox Valvtronix, Roland Cube or a Blackstar ID Core. These should all be able to handle the Classic Rock low gain bite for GNR and Led Zeppelin, but also get a higher gain sound for the likes of Metallica. Those amps all have headphone outputs too, which is a nice bonus for learning!

Cheers for the reply, I was thinking about 200-330 Euros but if I'm advised getting something a bit more expensive but with much more value for the money I could extend my budget somewhat.

The amps you are suggesting, how are they in size and watts? I've read somewhere that you should have aleast 30 watts if you are planning to play on smaller stages etc.
All 3 of those amps come in a 40 watt version, which would be a more than suitable size for small venues, and most places will mic up your amp nowadays anyway, so the size of your amp is becoming less important to be heard in live venues. It's mainly for practising with a band, and being heard over the drums, and 40 watts will cut that no problem.

Again all of those amps are about £160 (€220) from Andertons in the UK: Blackstar , Vox and Roland
Don't you hate it when you're reading a sentence and it doesn't end how you testicles.

Did you hear the one about the boy with the short atten
Quote by TheKraken
All 3 of those amps come in a 40 watt version, which would be a more than suitable size for small venues, and most places will mic up your amp nowadays anyway, so the size of your amp is becoming less important to be heard in live venues. It's mainly for practising with a band, and being heard over the drums, and 40 watts will cut that no problem.

Again all of those amps are about £160 (€220) from Andertons in the UK: Blackstar , Vox and Roland

When I last went to the guitar shop in town, the staff told me that tube amps need to get up some in volume for getting the wanted sound. And thats why the marshall MG30cfx would be nice option since im mostly going to be playing at home. Do you have to turn a tube amp up really high in volume for getting the good tunes? Or do they sound as good on low volumes?

I've been looking into the vox one a bit more, it looks really nice, just curious about the volumes and such

Thanks a bunch for the answers m8