Looking for advice on the best way to go about this -- I'm sure others have this issue...

I'm basically trying to navigate teaching myself guitar and building good foundation of skills and theory, but at the same time I'm mostly interested in playing my favorite metal songs that are usually down-tuned.

Do I first master playing in standard tuning and only practice classic rock stuff for awhile? It's kind of a bummer if my goal is to play stuff like Mastodon or Lamb of God, but I have to practice in a completely different genre because the tuning is simpler for a beginner.

I want to find balance in playing the music that actually stimulates and interests me (non-standard tuning), while also learning the basics of music theory, which I presume is easiest in standard tuning.

What do you recommend I do? Practice and learn songs that I'm not into until I get better and gradually switch over? It's just strange seeing these young guys in the bands that I love and I don't understand if they learned standard first or just dove into down-tuning and learn as they go.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks
there are a billion tunings andstuff, but the most regular ones are going to be E standard, Eb standard, and Drop-D
Most other tunings (rxcept for open tunings but won't worry about them) are derived from the three tunings i mentioned.

If a song requires you to be in B standard (my favourite weeee), the strings relate to eachother n the same way an E standard tuning.

That was poorly worded so I'll phrase it like this. for any standard tuning, it's a transposed version of E. n fact, Eb standard is literally E standard but down a tuning

if a song askes you to play in drop c, then your tuning will have the same pattern as drop D, but with every string tuned down twice.

you don't need to practice on learning lunings really. Because they are just built off E standard.

if this is confusing i'm sorry and i might be able to reword it late :p:
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Work on your technique and play what you like dude, you can always learn theory and all that later.

Start with simpler songs from your favorite bands though. Like from LoG, I'd say learn Omerta. It's fairly simple, not a whole lot of speed and jumping around in that song.

You can also find examples of techniques and stuff on the web, so you can really build a strong foundation to pull of the technical stuff that LoG and Mastodon are known for. I recommend going on YouTube and searching "Andy James tips", this guy really can help explain picking patterns and building your technique correctly.

As far as the theory, a scale is a scale, no matter what tuning your guitar is in. A minor is A minor. Luckily most of LoG's stuff is in Drop D so you can learn theory in standard since only one string is tuned down, and you can learn what you want to play.
You don't have to be in a certain tuning to learn a certain song, and not all extreme metal bands tune down.

Sylosis plays in standard E for example
ayy lmao
E standard, D standard, C standard etc are all the same really. The intervals are the same and everything you know in standard will work in those tunings too, they'll sound lower. An E major chord played in D standard will just be a Dmajor chord, same with C, it'll be Cmajor. If the songs you want to play are tuned lower, then why play in E standard? The only real variation you'll need to think about is drop tunings, ie drop d, drop C, drop B. The only difference here is the bottom E string, the rest of the strings are the same standard. But after learning a couple of songs in a drop tuning you'll get comfortable with it, it's an extremely common altered tuning that you're bound to use eventually. One exception to this is a tuning that Mastodon uses every now and then which is low to high: AGCFAD. This is basically D standard, with the low E going all the way down to A. Basically this means your power chord shapes on the low E and A won't be power chords anymore, they'll be octaves (which sounds pretty badass, the intro to March Of The Fire Ants makes me drool every time). It's fun to muck around in, but if you're just starting out it's best to get comfortable with standard and drop tuning first.

To sum it all up, there is no difference between playing in D standard, C standard, or anything-standard compared to E standard, it'll just be lower, E standard is in no ways "easier" for a beginner, in fact the lower string tension in lower tunings is actually easier to play. Mastodon and Lamb of God play pretty much exclusively in either D standard or Drop C, so I'd say just stay in D standard, everything you learn for E standard will work, you'll be able to learn your favourite songs, and if you want to play in drop C just tune the E string down another 2 steps. Play what you want to play, there's no better way of learning your instrument.
Last edited by Jimjambanx at May 8, 2015,
playing your favorite songs will make your learning ride more enjoyable. geometry of the standard tunings is the same, so it does not really matter if you play in standard E or standard C.

I challenged myself with tuning my guitar to the lowest tune...at that time it has been B. Then I played all the other "higher" songs with that tuning. Ear, interval and geometry training advanced.
"dream your life and make it come true"
My first guitar, which is still my main, has been tuned to D standard (full step down) since I got it, which was when I had been playing for like a few months. Using a tuning other than standard will not inhibit your ability to learn about chords and scales and keys and whatnot. The patterns are all the same from one tuning to another, save for some open tunings and other weird stuff, which your favorite metal bands probably aren't using. And even if you want to use some weird tunings, it's still just notes. learning your theory is about learning the notes and the ways the relate to each other, and the patterns and stuff. Different tunings just move where the notes are on the fret board. All you need to do is understand where they move to when you change tunings, and compensate.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by Jimjambanx
just stay in D standard, everything you learn for E standard will work, you'll be able to learn your favourite songs, and if you want to play in drop C just tune the E string down another 2 steps.

It's actually only one more step down, on the low string, to go from d standard to drop c. But yeah, this post is otherwise exactly right. It's all the same patterns, which is what matters, and songs in standard will totally work in any other standard tuning, and just be lower. I do that all the time. keep in mind that this won't work if you're trying to play along with the recorded version of songs in another tuning. You'll sound off. Personally, I just capo my d standard guitar at the second fret for E standard stuff, if needed. Similarly, I'll go to drop c and capo for drop d. It all works.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by the_bi99man
It's actually only one more step down, on the low string, to go from d standard to drop c. But yeah, this post is otherwise exactly right. It's all the same patterns, which is what matters, and songs in standard will totally work in any other standard tuning, and just be lower. I do that all the time. keep in mind that this won't work if you're trying to play along with the recorded version of songs in another tuning. You'll sound off. Personally, I just capo my d standard guitar at the second fret for E standard stuff, if needed. Similarly, I'll go to drop c and capo for drop d. It all works.

Lol yeah screwed up there, 2 half steps is what I meant.