I've brought my '08 Gibson Explorer Standard out of retirement for the recording of an album I wrote a while back.

I decided, because of the shorter scale length, I'd move up from my D'addario Regular Light Set (10-46) to their Medium set (11-49.)

Now the Bottom 3 strings play like a dream and sound great, but the top 3 are next to impossible to play and seem a little choked.

My question is this, are these issues I'm having with the high E through G due to the extra string thickness? Or is is a more complicated set up related problem?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You may need to raise the treble side of the bridge up a tad. What do you mean by choked out? Like the notes die out faster?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Yes, and when you play them there's like a little *ping*

Kind of when like when you strum the strings above the nut, but obviously not as bad. The problem starts getting unmanagable around the 12th fret on the afformentioned strings.

I'm playing in Drop D, I'm starting to think they're just too heavy. I did raise both sides of the bridge up as I was having issues with strings touching the neck when fretting lower notes.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at May 7, 2015,
You may just need a setup. You can technically use whatever strings you want for whatever tuning you want to get a preferred tension. The rest is a matter of setup.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Set up as in the nut slots probably need to be filed for the larger gauge. The increased tension of the larger strings may have increased your neck relief as well
Moving on.....
I agree with Stig and Ken....Play with the set-up a bit and let the neck settle.
ping often shows up when the string is binding up in the nut slot and then suddenly overcomes whatever was holding it up and slips. I imagine you're hearing this when you tune or bending rather than just normally fretting notes?
nut problems. i have .11-.49 d'addarios on all seven of my gibsons from 1982 to 2009.

you probably need to have the nut filed a little bit. nuts haven't ever been gibson's strong point . i am having a nut problem now on an LP. get a new nut or a setup and you should be good to go.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I won't be able to set it up myself and can't get it to anyone soon.

What would you recommend in the short term?

I have a set of Dunlop Heavy Core (10-13-17-28-38-48) would they be any better with the nut or is it just a case of going back to my standard set?

Quote by DisarmGoliath