Hey guys. I've been playing guitar for a few years now, and while my Epiphone Standard has served me well, I think it's about time that I get something better suited for my needs.

I mess around in pretty much every genre, from metal to blues to neoclassical, and a lot of jazz fusion. Therefore, I need a pretty damn versatile guitar.

Here are my requirements:
  • HSH configuration (Though I'm open to HH or HSS)
  • 24 frets
  • Solidbody
  • Locking Trem (Preferably a Floyd)
  • Unlaquered (Spelling?) neck, if at all possible

All this would suggest a nice Charvel or something, but the problem is I would like to keep it around 600 USD or under. I was also thinking Ibanez, but I heard from several people that their Edge II trems suck (Any input on this would be appreciated). Thanks in advance for any replies!

(Also, forgive me for any problems with this post )
Last edited by DrMonsieur at May 8, 2015,
You "could" find a used so-cal, but your best bet might be a used rg550 (if age is just a number for you, too) or used 1550/1570. I believe those trems should be better than edge II's.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
If you can get past the name snobbery, look around for a Squier Stagemaster Deluxe. Great guitars that can usually be found inexpensively because there are a lot of people that CAN'T get past it.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xC7rzRRss5s/ULK-BuTn04I/AAAAAAAAGLE/EoOlJIDeMVA/s1600/squier+stagemaster+guitarz+by+bertram.jpg
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
You "could" find a used so-cal, but your best bet might be a used rg550 (if age is just a number for you, too) or used 1550/1570. I believe those trems should be better than edge II's.

It's funny you say that about the So-Cal, my friend is actually looking to sell his. Unfortunately, it has 22 frets, and I would really like to have 24 if possible. I'll make sure to check out the Ibanez.

Quote by !..!_Rock_!..!
ESP LTD MH-103 maybe.

I went to the ESP site and checked out the spec, it seems like a nice guitar. And if the reviews are to be believed, it's a serious bargain for the price. Do you know whether or not the neck is lacquered? It wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, but I would definitely prefer it without.

Quote by Arby911
If you can get past the name snobbery, look around for a Squier Stagemaster Deluxe. Great guitars that can usually be found inexpensively because there are a lot of people that CAN'T get past it.

Yeah, I should have mentioned in the first post: I couldn't care less about the name, so long as the quality of the instrument itself is fine. I'll make sure to check it out.
Quote by !..!_Rock_!..!
ESP LTD MH-103 maybe.

Huh?

For a budget of under $600 USD you can get a much better guitar than that. Like already mentioned I would look into older MIJ Ibbys, the RG550/570/1550/1570 are solid guitars. The 550 and 570 are Prestige guitars before the Prestige on the headstock. They are well built and have solid trems.
Other than that you should be able to find an LTD MH or H series used for your budget. I am not too familiar with the trems on them, and I will let others chime in.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13

I mess around in pretty much every genre, from metal to blues to neoclassical, and a lot of jazz fusion. Therefore, I need a pretty damn versatile guitar.

Here are my requirements:
  • HSH configuration (Though I'm open to HH or HSS)
  • 24 frets
  • Solidbody
  • Locking Trem (Preferably a Floyd)
    Quote by dspellman
    You're in used Carvin territory there. The DC-145 is their superstrat HSH configuration, comes stock with a 24-fret 25" (not 24.75", not 25.5") scale with neck-through construction, an extremely smooth neck heel, ebony fretboard standard. I have several, including two mahogany/mahogany neck/body versions and an all-koa version. You can also get solid maple and a bunch of other body woods (I think maple neck/alder or poplar body is their current standard config). They use only real Floyds.

I've only heard good things about Carvins, I always assumed they were super high end guitars. Based on what you've told me, I'd be a very happy person if I managed to grab one. I'll definitely be looking into this, thanks for the suggestion!