Page 1 of 115
THE UK POLITICS THREAD
PART 1: 2015-2017 PARLIAMENT
THE AUSTERITY EDITION

The UK government has formed with a Tory majority. David Cameron will be our PM until 2020 now, following his manifesto policies including a long term economic plan focusing around austerity for all in the UK. Theresa May is the UK's unelected PM until 2020 and now we got Brexit hell coming up it is awful. The opposition doesn't exist and politics is exciting and uncertain but also completely terrifying.

Recent image showing the UK the morning after Brexit:

The general election thread went well so time for a dedicated UK politics thread, away from the politics/philosophy thread. We can do this like the football thread and have an OP with users and what party they support so just shout out if you want to do that. I'll get seat numbers and maps and stuff up in the OP too.

Party Sizes in the House of Commons:

Conservative Party | Theresa May |330 | 51%

Labour Party | JEREMY CORBYN | 232 | 36%

Scottish National Party | Nicola Sturgeon | 56 | 9%

Liberal Democrats | Tim Farron |8 1%

Democratic Unionist Party | Peter Robinson | 8 |1%

Sinn Féin | Gerry Adams | 4 |1%

Plaid Cymru - The Party of Wales | Leanne Wood | 3 |0%

Social Democratic and Labour Party | Alasdair McDonnell | 3 |0%

Ulster Unionist Party | 2 | 0%

UK Independence Party | NONE | 1 | 0%

Green Party | Natalie Bennett | 1 | 0%

UK POLITICAL PARTIES

Conservative Party
Green Party
Labour Party
Liberal Democrats
Plaid Cymru - The Party of Wales
Scottish National Party
UK IndependenceParty
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Jun 8, 2017,
Most of all I'm just disappointed with the general public. I don't know who to trust in this Tory run country any more.
Sorry, we cut the budget for this thread so you can only have 2 images.
Quote by JackalUK
Sorry, we cut the budget for this thread so you can only have 2 images.

Also all posts must be vetted by a Government Approved Moderator before hand otherwise [redacted by your local Government Approved Moderator].
It's just pretty disgusting that all it winds up being is spite votes that win an election. Scottish nationals, anti-liberals and students mostly trashed the oppositions hopes of drawing close and the porch party just cruised to victory on that.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
It's just pretty disgusting that all it winds up being is spite votes that win an election. Scottish nationals, anti-liberals and students mostly trashed the oppositions hopes of drawing close and the porch party just cruised to victory on that.

"spite votes" "Scottish nationals"

Attitudes like this are why Labour now only have 1 seat in Scotland, dummy
Quote by SkepsisMetal

Lmao absolute ignorance
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by SkepsisMetal

Even if Labour won all seats in Scotland they'd be nowhere near the Tories. Labour can only blame themselves for doing so shit in England
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by raoooos
"spite votes" "Scottish nationals"

Attitudes like this are why Labour now only have 1 seat in Scotland, dummy

And so they should, they alienated themselves. If they wanted those seats they should have thought about it before trying to keep the SNP out of Westminster despite recently seeing how much support they had back home.
And the Lib Dems lost all theirs rightly so too, they ****ed their voters over left, right and centre as well as being Tory bitches for 5 years. Of course nobody had confidence in them.
I fully understand that, but the vast majority of people I've seen and heard talking about this election are just saying they're voting "against" people rather than "for" because there's no leader they like.
So Cameron is prime-minister again? Cool, at least now I don't have to remember a new name when people around me are talking about foreign politics or something.
Skepsis you don't know what you're on about, even if Labour won all of the SNP seats there'd be no overall majority for them.
Quote by Trowzaa
Even if Labour won all seats in Scotland they'd be nowhere near the Tories. Labour can only blame themselves for doing so shit in England

Well, themselves, and Miliband's complete character assassination at the hands of the media.
🙈 🙉 🙊
People, the only reason Labour lost is cause of your ****ing ******ed system.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by SkepsisMetal
And so they should, they alienated themselves. If they wanted those seats they should have thought about it before trying to keep the SNP out of Westminster despite recently seeing how much support they had back home.
And the Lib Dems lost all theirs rightly so too, they ****ed their voters over left, right and centre as well as being Tory bitches for 5 years. Of course nobody had confidence in them.
I fully understand that, but the vast majority of people I've seen and heard talking about this election are just saying they're voting "against" people rather than "for" because there's no leader they like.

That's a problem with the voting system, not the people
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by entity0009
Well, themselves, and Miliband's complete character assassination at the hands of the media.

Well yeah, seriously, **** Murdoch so much, an American-Australian deciding who our PM should be, **** off.

It's more because this election was just tories scaremongering on one side and labour making vague statements about tories destroying everything.

labour should have spent more time actually making very clear their policies and making people pay attention to it.

instead we had a lot of people on both labour and conservative side not really clear on what they are actually voting for. sure it's been like that in previous elections but it felt particularly bad this time around. 2010 it seemed more people were aware of what they were voting for but because they were fed up of labour just put that aside in favour of shaking things up.

imo miliband should have gone hard with the "vote us to stop tories" message and been like "hey cameron, 1v1 me in CoD you pussy". bam youth vote right there when he no-scopes cameron 10 times in a row.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Skepsis you don't know what you're on about, even if Labour won all of the SNP seats there'd be no overall majority for them.

Is that not the biggest problem?
FPTP is archaeic and all but useless outside of a 2 party race. 49% of all votes disregarded, and those that are considered are often voting "against" not "for". The power will stay in power, while the smaller parties who may well have a genuine support will either never gain seats or it will take multiple decades to reach a legitimate standing in parliament. The sooner cumulative voting overrides this, the better.
I have literally not heard either party come up with good policies.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
also this thread will likely be dead once the election smoke has cleared. most people in the uk don't give politics much attention outside of elections and just quietly grumble when something they disagree with gets pushed through.

just saying.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
also this thread will likely be dead once the election smoke has cleared. most people in the uk don't give politics much attention outside of elections and just quietly grumble when something they disagree with gets pushed through.

just saying.

Might've been the case in 2010. This is quite different I think, well for some
Quote by ErikLensherr

Knowing nothing about the UK and 'just winging it' from that choose your policies thread (and picking a naturally scottish bias for no reason, cuz fk it), I got:

Conservative - Economy
Labor - Environment
Scottish party - Education & Foreign Policy

Looks like my thumbs on UK's voting even though IDKWhatImDoing
Quote by steve_muse
Might've been the case in 2010. This is quite different I think, well for some

do you mean the latter part of that post? cause yeah that'd be great. let's have some proper street activism flip this country upside down.

(as long as russell brand doesn't form a party to represent the cause)
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
The money that benefit fraud costs the state is absolutely minuscule in the grand scheme of things, but it is a very effective political weapon designed to turn middle class against poorer class, and distract from who the middle class should be angry with, the people who actually affect what they earn.

As I've said before, you think because you wear a shirt and tie, and the richest of the rich wear a shirt and tie, you're like them, when in fact your income is far closer to that of the woman who goes around in her pyjamas all day. And you say that's because the woman in the pyjamas earns too much. No, it's because you earn too little because the man you consider your peer, even though his income vastly eclipses yours, earns too much. You are poor too, you just work harder to be poor and get angry at other poor people who don't work as hard, when you should be angrier at those that earn so much.

You live near the breadline. The poor person lives below the breadline. The rich person can't see the breadline. The problem is with your income being so close to the breadline, when it needn't be if things were a bit more fair. If you were earning more, you wouldn't give a shit what the poor earned, or about immigration. And as an aside, it's worth remembering that the more money the poor have, the better the economy of a country does, because there's a lot of them and they spend their money, while the rich don't spend their money, so the economy stays small. No VAT, no tax paid by small businesses where they poor might spend their money, no staff required where the poor spend their money, no income tax paid by that staff, that staff then being off the dole as a benefit to the state, and then also having more money to spend in local businesses, and so on. More tax for the NHS and better quality of life all round. We should be throwing money at the poor.

And yet they're still thought of as the bad guys. Technology has made so many jobs irrelevant, and capitalism has meant that the money saved by those jobs being made obsolete is filtered all the way to the richest. In business, no decision was ever made that benefitted the take home pay of the employees below the rank of where the decision was made, and so money has been getting sucked to the top for decades. If technology had been used to benefit all, everyone would work a lot fewer hours every week, and have a lot more leisure time, but instead, the benefit of the technology was all sent to the richest in society, and just made everyone towards the bottom much worse off.
I'm betting on riots at some point when the 40% of 18-24yos who didn't vote suddenly decide to get indignant about their government
🙈 🙉 🙊
Did you see that ludicrous voting last night? What was Labour thinking sending Ed Miliban on that early? The thing about Miliban is, he always tries and walk it in!
superman is killing himself tonight
@Tanglewood +1

@entity

I was literally thinking the same thing earlier today. Wouldn't surprised me if it happened sooner than expected, like, either this year or next.
Quote by slipknot5678
if the EU in/out referendum becomes a thing this thread will blow up don't worry.

if this site lasts that long lol.

Can't let austerity take away UG #believe #hope
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by theguitarist
It's more because this election was just tories scaremongering on one side and labour making vague statements about tories destroying everything.

labour should have spent more time actually making very clear their policies and making people pay attention to it.

instead we had a lot of people on both labour and conservative side not really clear on what they are actually voting for. sure it's been like that in previous elections but it felt particularly bad this time around. 2010 it seemed more people were aware of what they were voting for but because they were fed up of labour just put that aside in favour of shaking things up.

imo miliband should have gone hard with the "vote us to stop tories" message and been like "hey cameron, 1v1 me in CoD you pussy". bam youth vote right there when he no-scopes cameron 10 times in a row.

Ed actually did this but because he didn't have the media on his side everyone was like "haha funny Ed" rather than being like "shit, why doesn't Cameron want to debate his policies? Isn't that a bit fishy?".

The Tory establishment controlled the election due to misinformation spread by a right wing media. We need to wake up to this and DO something about it rather than just moping about for the next 5 years.
Quote by entity0009
I'm betting on riots at some point when the 40% of 18-24yos who didn't vote suddenly decide to get indignant about their government

And then Cameron will be all like, this is hooliganism and opportunism at its finest, we need to shut down social media again blahblahblah. We need to censor music and video games that are making the youth of today violent.

Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
The money that benefit fraud costs the state is absolutely minuscule in the grand scheme of things, but it is a very effective political weapon designed to turn middle class against poorer class, and distract from who the middle class should be angry with, the people who actually affect what they earn.

As I've said before, you think because you wear a shirt and tie, and the richest of the rich wear a shirt and tie, you're like them, when in fact your income is far closer to that of the woman who goes around in her pyjamas all day. And you say that's because the woman in the pyjamas earns too much. No, it's because you earn too little because the man you consider your peer, even though his income vastly eclipses yours, earns too much. You are poor too, you just work harder to be poor and get angry at other poor people who don't work as hard, when you should be angrier at those that earn so much.

You live near the breadline. The poor person lives below the breadline. The rich person can't see the breadline. The problem is with your income being so close to the breadline, when it needn't be if things were a bit more fair. If you were earning more, you wouldn't give a shit what the poor earned, or about immigration. And as an aside, it's worth remembering that the more money the poor have, the better the economy of a country does, because there's a lot of them and they spend their money, while the rich don't spend their money, so the economy stays small. No VAT, no tax paid by small businesses where they poor might spend their money, no staff required where the poor spend their money, no income tax paid by that staff, that staff then being off the dole as a benefit to the state, and then also having more money to spend in local businesses, and so on. More tax for the NHS and better quality of life all round. We should be throwing money at the poor.

And yet they're still thought of as the bad guys. Technology has made so many jobs irrelevant, and capitalism has meant that the money saved by those jobs being made obsolete is filtered all the way to the richest. In business, no decision was ever made that benefitted the take home pay of the employees below the rank of where the decision was made, and so money has been getting sucked to the top for decades. If technology had been used to benefit all, everyone would work a lot fewer hours every week, and have a lot more leisure time, but instead, the benefit of the technology was all sent to the richest in society, and just made everyone towards the bottom much worse off.

Real shit.
#DTWD
Quote by entity0009

I'm betting on anti-capitalist backlash led by the young and the educated experts who back things like Tanglewoodguit is saying up.

people flipped shit about the last riots and those overall weren't about anything more than having a laugh and getting some free stuff.

riots where people are as a whole really pissed off about the nature of the country would be fantastic.

I wouldn't be surprised if scotland possibly getting independence kicked people off at getting mad at the system. If people in our country want to separate, you can either be mad at them (which the right are trying to get people to do) or get mad at the system pushing them away (which they left ought to be doing but our left is centre, so lol.)
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Now, I been lookin' for a job, but it's hard to find
Down here it's just winners and losers and don't get caught on the wrong side of that line
Well, I'm tired of comin' out on the losin' end
So, honey, last night I met this guy and I'm gonna do a little favour for him

How things never change.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
The excuses and placing of blame for losing now that the conservatives have pretty much crushed the other parties is both amusing and pathetic.

Mongol General: What is best in life?

Conan: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Quote by theguitarist

riots where people are as a whole really pissed off about the nature of the country would be fantastic.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at May 8, 2015,
Quote by Arby911
The excuses and placing of blame for losing now that the conservatives have pretty much crushed the other parties are both amusing and pathetic.

Mongol General: What is best in life?

Conan: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Okay bud

@arby my god you are so obnoxious
Quote by ErikLensherr

Last edited by steve_muse at May 8, 2015,