So I'm starting up a cover band and need something that can get pretty much anywhere from Foo Fighters to AC/DC, with good cleans.
I have narrowed it down to either the Carvin V3 or the newer Marshall DSL 100, but I feel like the Carvin will be better for me (plus it looks cool!)
Please tell me which you think I should grab between these two, and do not suggest other amps. I have settled on either of these. Thanks.
Just out of curiosity why just those two amps?
Not to complicate the thread and helping you but there might be a better amp out there for what you want, depending on budget. I can't comment on the Carvin, but the newer DSLs are very underwhelming IMO.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
Just out of curiosity why just those two amps?
Not to complicate the thread and helping you but there might be a better amp out there for what you want, depending on budget. I can't comment on the Carvin, but the newer DSLs are very underwhelming IMO.

Basically I just feel like I would be leaving something on the table if I didn't get one of these. It probably sounds dumb, but I would really like either. It's just a matter of which one.
What is your budget? There are plenty of amps out there that are extremely versatile. Not to deter you from buying either of those amps, but its possible that you might be limiting yourself. Of course if you are hell bent on one of those two amps, then so be it.
Line 6 M13
I have about seven Carvin amps (four of them tube), none of them a V3.
Several Marshalls (and a few clones), and no interest in a DSL 100.

I don't think you'd be leaving anything at all on the table by picking something else for what you're going to be doing. Not sure how you settled on those two.

If I absolutely had to pick between the two I'd probably flip a coin or lean toward the Carvin because they're within driving distance and because I'm more familiar with their current build quality (my Marshalls are *old*).

If I were starting up a cover band today, I would definitely be working with modelers, a decent power amp (or powered speaker) and a very wide-range cabinet. That's pretty much as versatile as it gets these days.
The Carvin V3 is a fine amplifier, and it can do a lot of tones and genres very well. One thing to know about Carvin's tube amplifiers: they tend to come from the factory biased a bit on the cold side. Some professional amp techs out here in L.A. have told me that if you just tweak the bias a bit warmer, the improvement (on an already good amplifier) is almost astonishing. Some people do find that the V3 is a bit "bass heavy."

For classic rock stuff like AC/DC, it begins and ends with Marshall. Some people insist that today's Marshall amplifiers are not in the same league as the old ones, but a lot of people still swear by them. Your best bet would be to do an "A/B" comparison side-by-side, if possible.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41

For classic rock stuff like AC/DC, it begins and ends with Marshall. Some people insist that today's Marshall amplifiers are not in the same league as the old ones, but a lot of people still swear by them.

Pretty major differences between the new ones and the old ones, in part because Jim Marshall was always looking for cheaper parts or better suppliers. I think they ran through every power tube design available prior to the mid '70's and the availability of Soviet bloc tubes.

If the name "Marshall" means something to you, great. But there are amps out there that sound more like the old ones but that do NOT have "Marshall" logos. Come to think of it, one of the best Marshalls I have is a Park <G>.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I was going to post some ideas in here but now I see that you are not interested. Never mind and good luck.

+1 really, thats it.

OP what is your budget? give us a shot.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
My first choice would be a Traynor YCV50B:
http://traynoramps.com/guitar/ycv/product/ycv50b/

Built like the made in UK Marshalls, not like their new Chinese factory Korg clones.

Look at JCM2000 DSL UK-made (used) or the V3 out of the two amps you mentioned.
I have a Carvin V3m and like it a lot , the V3 is supposed to have more of everything compared to the V3m so I imagine the V3 will be sweet .... as far as the two amps listed the Marshal will be easier to use , the V3 has a learning curve and like mentioned it probably needs a Bias and/I'll add it possibly needs some better tubes too ..... it took me about three to four months to get a good grip on " dialing in" the V3m and I fricken love it now .... I would also get the speakers that Carvin recommends for the V3 .....
Alright. Sorry to come off as an ass.
I just didn't want a swarm of amps to be recommended (and add further confusion)
But go ahead, suggest what you all think.
Budget?
Location?
Line 6 M13
Quote by cjb1989
Alright. Sorry to come off as an ass.
I just didn't want a swarm of amps to be recommended (and add further confusion)
But go ahead, suggest what you all think.

One of the best sounding cover bands that I've heard was using a big Mesa combo, I think a Lonestar.