Hey guys!

So, a friend of mine has a Jackson with a Jackson LFR and he wants to put on a new floyd rose. He was thinking about getting a Gotoh GE1996T, but how good is it? Will it fit the routing of the Jackson LFR?

I was also looking at these Schallers and suggested them to him, but he said that the Gotoh was his priority since it is cheaper and is available at a local store:

http://www.thomann.de/pt/schaller_fr_tremolo_i_370_bk.htm
http://www.thomann.de/pt/schaller_original_tremolo_lockmeistersc.htm
http://www.thomann.de/pt/schaller_original_tremolo_lockmeister_c.htm

What are the differences between those 3 Schallers? I suppose the 370 one has weaker materials, but I'm not sure. The difference between the SC and C is only the finish I think, one is Chrome, the other Satin Chrome.
Last edited by DanyFS at May 8, 2015,
Not likely to be any differences, honestly. Certainly not in materials.

My guess is that the black one is just old stock, thus cheaper. Left over from before they started calling them "lockmeisters."
I know for sure (because I've done it to my own Jackson) that the Lockmiesters will directly replace the old Jackson LFR without any mods required. I think the Gotoh one might require some modifications made to the guitar to fit because of the stud spacing, but I might be wrong.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I see guys. Thanks for the answers! I found the Gotoh diagram and I'm sending it to my friend so he can measure his LFR and compare it with the Gotoh.

Anyway, if anyone can tell me if the Gotoh is a direct replacement on a Jackson LFR just to be sure, I would be grateful.
I've never used a genuine schaller tremolo design but I have used an OFR manufactured by Schaller and the Gotoh GE1996T I would say from a manufacturing perspective, Gotoh is superior at powder coating, and gotoh trem arms by design are more durable. in my experience I have broken one of the OFR/Schaller style arms, and the power coat of my OFR started to chip after 2 years of use (not really sure how it happened, but its chipped and rusted progressively as I've used it, could of been a lemon). Granted that is an OFR is not the schaller designs but it is manufactured by schaller, so take that for what its worth.

The gotoh is unique in that it's knife edge on the low E side is open allowing for various post spaces, and if you compare the specs of each, the older schallers are 74.5mm, the lockmeister is 74.3mm the OFR is 74mm and the gotoh is 74mm but can accommodate wider post spacings as well. The gotoh is smaller than the lockmeister in every dimensions by at least 0.5mm, so I would think if a lockmeister fits a gotoh should as well. See dimensions in the spoiler.

Steel quality, the gotoh is hardened steel, the old schallers are cast steel saddles and plate with hardened steel knife edges, and the lockmeister is C45 steel, which I understand to be cold worked steel, which should be comparable in strength to hardened steel. Pretty much any one of these tremolos would be an upgrade in quality to the Jackson tremolo. I personally favour the Gotoh of the listed options.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by Ethanb08
I've never used a genuine schaller tremolo design but I have used an OFR manufactured by Schaller and the Gotoh GE1996T I would say from a manufacturing perspective, Gotoh is superior at powder coating, and gotoh trem arms by design are more durable. in my experience I have broken one of the OFR/Schaller style arms, and the power coat of my OFR started to chip after 2 years of use (not really sure how it happened, but its chipped and rusted progressively as I've used it, could of been a lemon). Granted that is an OFR is not the schaller designs but it is manufactured by schaller, so take that for what its worth.

The gotoh is unique in that it's knife edge on the low E side is open allowing for various post spaces, and if you compare the specs of each, the older schallers are 74.5mm, the lockmeister is 74.3mm the OFR is 74mm and the gotoh is 74mm but can accommodate wider post spacings as well. The gotoh is smaller than the lockmeister in every dimensions by at least 0.5mm, so I would think if a lockmeister fits a gotoh should as well. See dimensions in the spoiler.

Steel quality, the gotoh is hardened steel, the old schallers are cast steel saddles and plate with hardened steel knife edges, and the lockmeister is C45 steel, which I understand to be cold worked steel, which should be comparable in strength to hardened steel. Pretty much any one of these tremolos would be an upgrade in quality to the Jackson tremolo. I personally favour the Gotoh of the listed options.

Very good answer, thank you!!

Gonna show this thread to my friend and let him decide
yeah if you've got the diagram, that's the best thing. IIRC the gotoh studs are marginally bigger than the OFR ones. and the block might be bigger.

I haven't done the swap myself but there's this info site here (I haven't corroborated the info in it, and it doesn't list the gotoh but hopefully better than nothing): http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm

the gotoh trem is very, very good. arguably made better than the OFR, and nicer feel under your hand (fewer sharp edges etc.). that being said, with the stock springs it feels a little stiffer than the OFR, and it seems to be more or less preference as to which people prefer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah if you've got the diagram, that's the best thing. IIRC the gotoh studs are marginally bigger than the OFR ones. and the block might be bigger.

I haven't done the swap myself but there's this info site here (I haven't corroborated the info in it, and it doesn't list the gotoh but hopefully better than nothing): http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm

the gotoh trem is very, very good. arguably made better than the OFR, and nicer feel under your hand (fewer sharp edges etc.). that being said, with the stock springs it feels a little stiffer than the OFR, and it seems to be more or less preference as to which people prefer.

I see man, thanks! That link may come in handy too.