Page 1 of 2
I'm going to buy a blackstar ht60 in a few days, and i could buy new for 999 (before employee discount) or 550 before discount if i get a refurbished model. I'm considering going refurbished, but before I make that decision, I want to hear everyone else's opinion on the matter. Have you bought refurbished amps or guitars? would you?
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
biggest issue is you actually want to buy a Blackstar HT with your money
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
biggest issue is you actually want to buy a Blackstar HT with your money

well i havent read a single bad review on it, seen plenty of videos of people playing it and it sounds great. so whats the problem

and why you gotta derail my thread
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Blackstar HT is bland and 550 is a lot to spend on bland. All opinions or reviews should be taken with at least a teeny, tiny grain of salt. Especially mine, and especially anyone reviewing an HT amp as their very first tube amp.

I once said the Line 6 Spider IV is amazing. You can see where I'm going with this.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by rtfk101
well i havent read a single bad review on it, seen plenty of videos of people playing it and it sounds great. so whats the problem

and why you gotta derail my thread

Just having fun.

Buy which ever you feel is worth it. Does the refurbished come with a warranty? I have bought many refurbished items over the years and 99% of the time I have no issues.

I thought the HT series sounded pretty mediocre. Not bad, but far from great especially at their price point. Another reason is Blackstar markets the HT as all tube, but it is in fact a hybrid amp (tube and solid state) and they will not come clean and continue to call it all tube.
What amps are available to you at the discount?
What type of music do you want to play?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by rtfk101

Hating Blackstar is UG’s favorite bandwagon. Soon someone else is going to tell you about how Blackstar amps aren’t really all-tube and Blackstar are lying scum. Then they’ll tell you to buy Peavey, Jet City, or whatever else is this month’s bandwagon amp.

Anway, hell yeah I’d buy a refurb to save $450. Especially if it comes with a warranty.
Refurb/used gear is a great way to go to save money. At least half my stuff was purchased that way. No regrets.
Quote by lemurflames
Blackstar HT is bland and 550 is a lot to spend on bland. All opinions or reviews should be taken with at least a teeny, tiny grain of salt. Especially mine, and especially anyone reviewing an HT amp as their very first tube amp.

I once said the Line 6 Spider IV is amazing. You can see where I'm going with this.

line 6 spiders arent total shit lol for a beginner/intermediate guitarist those things are the way to go. but i see your point. i just think they (the blackstar) have a good sound though, i was especially impressed by the clean channel's versatility. actually the distortions versatility....its versatile
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by jpnyc
Hating Blackstar is UG’s favorite bandwagon. Soon someone else is going to tell you about how Blackstar amps aren’t really all-tube and Blackstar are lying scum. Then they’ll tell you to buy Peavey, Jet City, or whatever else is this month’s bandwagon amp.

Anway, hell yeah I’d buy a refurb to save $450. Especially if it comes with a warranty.

i had a feeling a bandwagon was afoot
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Robbgnarly
Just having fun.

Buy which ever you feel is worth it. Does the refurbished come with a warranty? I have bought many refurbished items over the years and 99% of the time I have no issues.

I thought the HT series sounded pretty mediocre. Not bad, but far from great especially at their price point. Another reason is Blackstar markets the HT as all tube, but it is in fact a hybrid amp (tube and solid state) and they will not come clean and continue to call it all tube.
What amps are available to you at the discount?
What type of music do you want to play?

(sorry im double posting, im on my phone)
im trying to get a 2x12 tube amp for metal/jazz. weird combo, i know. but im also not trying to spend more than 1000 for a combo amp. im sure there are great amps for 1500 or so, but if i get into that cash territory im just gonna shop for a half stack
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
If you wanna buy a shitty half solid sate amp for 500 bucks go for it. It's your money.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Most of my gear was bought used pp at 1/2 retail. No warranties... No issues...No problem. I did have to put $30 worth of tubes in one once.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Whether one calls something "consensus" or "bandwagonning" is totally dependent on how welcome it is received.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I wasn't aware that recitations of fact were "bandwagoning".

Buy what you want, you've made up your mind and it won't change the lifestyle of anyone here at all, just don't expect us to validate your choice.

Refurb equipment is usually a great deal as it's been checked over more than new gear.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I wasn't aware that recitations of fact were "bandwagoning".

Buy what you want, you've made up your mind and it won't change the lifestyle of anyone here at all, just don't expect us to validate your choice.

Well in his defense he wasn't asking for advice on whether or not the Blackstar was a good choice, he was asking whether or not buying refurbished in general is a good choice.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
I don't usually mess around with the fancy shmancy "refurbished" puffery, I buy used. Let the rich folk take the depreciation.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
i would go refurbished or used. i never buy anything new anymore.

i am also going to say that the blackstar isn't that great. bandwagon or not, it doesn't matter. yes it is half SS, and yes blackstar falsely advertises it as if it were all tube. i don't like when companies do it, but it really isn't that great of a sounding amp, and for the money you can do better.

its up to the OP though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
as far as sound goes, im sure you could do better if you really wanted to. but this amp sold me because its got decent distortion and also a very good clean channel, which in my experiences is hard to find in a metal amp.

if its hybrid, i dont care much either. i dont think tubes always make as much of a difference as people say they do. just my opinion though. its got tubes, a good, deep tone that handles 7 strings well, and its basically new and in my price range. if i ever get rich and famous playing metal (lol) im sure ill upgrade to something better, but at this point this amp is just what i need
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
TS, what other amps have you played at the time you played the HT60? Many amps can possibly nail a metal (depending on the genre you want to play) and jazz tone, if there is a good lead channel, and good clean channel. A tubescreamer-type pedal in front of the amp will give you even more options.

What I'm trying to say is, try out all the amps in your budget you possibly can, with your guitar, before you commit to an amp. Is the HT60 best for you? Maybe. Are there better options out there? Probably. But only you can answer these questions for sure.

Buying used/refurbished is always a good idea too.

If you give us some of the bands or sounds you like, your location, and absolute budget, we may be able to track down an amp thats better suited to your needs than a Blackstar HT60.

But in the end its your money, and your purchase.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Is it the HT-60 combo you're after?

No matter how hard I look, I can't find anything stating the exact speakers used in it. Every single page just says "two 12" Celestion speakers" and Blackstar is guilty of using Celestion's shittiest speaker commonly found in cheapo 12" practice amps.

They really don't want me seeing what's in it.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Chances are there being two Seventy-80's in it. The first cab I bought was a Blackstar HTV-212 (before I knew the opinions of the members of GG&A concerning Blackstar) and it had Seventy-80's in it.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I had the 112 version of the cab. Also Seventy-80. It was returned along with the Blackstar amp I had bought with it.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
5150 iiis go for 1000 just saying... also lots of used mesa f series, dc.. can be had for 600?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by Cathbard
Whether one calls something "consensus" or "bandwagonning" is totally dependent on how welcome it is received.

+1

You didn't call all those good reviews of Blackstar that you read "bandwagon".

(I haven't tried the HT series, I have no opinion on how they sound, but I'm not too keen on how they market them.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I dont mind buyin used gear, i've bought some off people on craigslist, and that may have been a bad choice because i've run into a**hole liars who lied about its condition, but if its through a reputable store, I'd do it, you can always return it if you have problems..?
I buy used and refurbished all the time. I just got my hands on a new IEM unit from Sennhieser off of Sweetwater. Comes with warranty tech support and what not. And they have ALWAYS been no questions asked with me.
"not working? do you want it repaired or your money back" super easy.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I have no problem with refurb gear. It usually means someone returned it.

That said, I also advise against the Blackstar - I just am not a huge fan of the HT series honestly.

The Jet City stuff isn't bad at all, though like the HTs it comes with really mediocre speakers.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'd rock a Blackstar Series, but probably never buy one. It's in the "Yo, I can just buy a Mesa" bracket.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by rtfk101
as far as sound goes, im sure you could do better if you really wanted to. but this amp sold me because its got decent distortion and also a very good clean channel, which in my experiences is hard to find in a metal amp.

if its hybrid, i dont care much either. i dont think tubes always make as much of a difference as people say they do. just my opinion though. its got tubes, a good, deep tone that handles 7 strings well, and its basically new and in my price range. if i ever get rich and famous playing metal (lol) im sure ill upgrade to something better, but at this point this amp is just what i need

if you like it good, but i disagree with the bolded text. most metal amps i have owned or tried have nice cleans. some don't, but not most. 6505+'s are probably the amp that gives metal amps a bad name regarding cleans.

also +1 to the used mesa movement.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

You didn't call all those good reviews of Blackstar that you read "bandwagon".

(I haven't tried the HT series, I have no opinion on how they sound, but I'm not too keen on how they market them.)

Actually, I'm one of the guys accused of starting the 'bandwagon."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Literally everything in my Sig is used except for my amp's speaker and the dragonfire pickup. I've never once had a problem from it.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by Cathbard
Actually, I'm one of the guys accused of starting the 'bandwagon."

Yeah me too

(the bit I wrote under the +1 was to the threadstarter. Sorry for being ambiguous )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Factory refurb is the best bang for your buck. I will do it anytime I am offered a refurb on something I want to buy. Look at it this way. Any product made comes off an assembly line probably goes directly to a box for shipping and if you are lucky someone (who may have no expertise) makes sure that it works (lights up and turns on is often the only test if that). A refurb has been gone over usually from top to bottom by a tech or at least someone with better knowledge of the product. If the product can be purchased at a considerable price reduction as a "refurbished" modal with a warranty, I say do it.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at May 12, 2015,
Quote by lemurflames
Is it the HT-60 combo you're after?

No matter how hard I look, I can't find anything stating the exact speakers used in it. Every single page just says "two 12" Celestion speakers" and Blackstar is guilty of using Celestion's shittiest speaker commonly found in cheapo 12" practice amps.

Should be a set of Seventy 80s. They’re similar to v30s without the pronounced warm tone.
Quote by jpnyc
Should be a set of Seventy 80s. They’re similar to v30s good speakers without the pronounced warm tone.

fixed?

(seriously, though, ages since I've tried 70/80s and I can't remember much about them, but they don't have a great rep.)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jpnyc
Should be a set of Seventy 80s. They’re similar to v30s without the pronounced warm tone.

the only way they are similar is they are celestion guitar speakers, 70/80's sound nothing like a V30.

Yes you can do much worse for speakers, but you can do much better also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Page 1 of 2