i know that its a weird combination, but has it been done before? i know Ben from Dillinger Escape Plan uses a semi-hollow, and his tone comes out very good. but full hollow body seems untouched.

ive seen people say hollows dont handle distortion well because of the resonance, but couldnt there be a way to use the resonance to your advantage? maybe a good set of pickups? i dont know, maybe im barking up the wrong tree, but it seems like a fun idea to mess with. any input on this topic?
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Apparently they feedback like crazy with high gain.

Emil Werstler from Daath plays semi-hollow PRS guitars.

I think Devin Townsend plays some semi-hollows.

Then there's this signature PRS SE for some dude from some rock band...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs-se-zach-myers-electric-guitar/j05066
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
A full big bodied hollow body with a floating bridge and no center block is hard to control at stage volumes but it's not really that big of a problem as long as you learn how to control it.

Ted nugent has always played semi and full hollows.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Barking up the wrong tree. Hi gain and hollow don't play nice. Maybe through an amp sim with zero stage volume.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
A lot of players who use full hollowbody guitars for high gain/volume music control the feedback by stuffing the guitar with foam rubber, towels, shirts, etc.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
It's definitely doable. You'll have to put some effort into learning to control the feedback, but that's the only real issue. It's not like they can't make the metal sounds for some reason. Any guitar can. If you're in a band where feedback is desirable, like a grind band or a noise band, then go for it. Even if you're not, try it out. It'll be cool. I use a semihollow for all kinds of metal. I'd use a hollowbody if I had one.
Not an issue for home practice, especially if you've got a modeler and a good set of headphones.
Stage volume will present a problem, and it's definitely better to have less than more.
My old 335 would howl like a banshee anywhere within 30 feet of my own output. Maybe workable if you have it on low volume, monitored to in-ears and gated to hell. Even then I think the results wouldn't be worth the pain.
Charvel / Godin / Peavey / Marshall / AMT
controlling the feedback is more a technique and having good potted pickups issue.

like I said, emil from daath plays a hollow body live all the time.
the guy from breaking benjamin uses a hollow body baritone.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Had some real trouble controlling feedback on my solid bodies in my old rehearsal space. Too high volume and my preference for treble rich glam metal tones may have something to do with it...

Yes, you can use hollowbodies, but you increase the possibility of feedback by great amounts, and you have to learn to control that. People have already proven it possible, but unless you love hollow bodies so much you can't use anything else, why bother?
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Im curious, why do you want to use a hollowbody anyway? Do you just happen to have one and want to play metal, or are you buying one for that purpose?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Ted Nugent plays about as loud as anyone who ever hit the stage and he has traditionally played a Gibson Byrdland hollow body with awesome results. It's not that it can't be done, it's just something that comes with a lot of baggage to consider.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
I've tried it out at home, but nowhere near stage volume. I can testify, though, that there is a certain fullness to a hollow body with distortion that my other guitars just don't have. I am, for the record, using an Ibanez AFS75T, which is i thinner body full hollow, so not quite the big Jazz Box. Even if it doesn't work too well for the reasons you want it, its still nice to have something rather different in your arsenal, and you may find yourself wanting to learn new and different styles.
Funny but my comments are also based on my experience with an Ibanez AFS75T. It's a great guitar that I bought for certain types of playing and I like it a lot for those mellow tones but it will feed back if you are too close to your amp. The club/restaurant I generally use play it at once month provides very little space for us to set up in (so what's new?). I have to stand about three feet in front of my amp and if I turn to adjust anything on my amp I have to turn down my guitars volume or I'll be doing a poor Hendrix imitation of howling feed back. I do love the tone of the hollow body but it's just something to be aware of. My semi-hollow Epiphone Sheraton does not have this issue with the center block that stops the feedback very well but the semi hollow has a different tone (nice but different).
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at May 11, 2015,
It's a pretty great instrument. I've only used mine at home with low volume on a Fender Hotrod Deluxe III. But i do play pretty close by and can manage to control feedback by eq-ing the middle down somewhat. TS should also remember that if their rig is being run through a PA, then they should have a bit more volume control to work with.
I've seen hollowbodies used for gainy stuff, but they will sound awful with hi-gain. Driving them with a bit of fuzz will sound great though, and you could get some unique metal tones. Said tones might be subjective as to how good they are though.
Quite a few guitarists used hollow body guitars during the 1980s "Hair Metal" phase; so much so that the Gretsch White Falcon and the G6120 got an entirely new lease on life. So it can be done, but feedback will be a problem unless you take steps to rectify it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Stuff the interior with towels and you’ll be fine. There are also hollow electrics without f-holes.