as the title says. my nut on my LP is wearing down a little bit and i need a new nut (i have played it heavily for a long time).

i don't feel comfortable filing my own.

i like bone, its all i have ever had other than graphtech (i only had that guitar for a few days), what about brass?

how much should it cost to get it installed and filed?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, if you're the handy type...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slCMkvEfK_U&sns=em

neat. i don't have the precision files and stuff. should i find a luthier? or would a premade tusq nut be close enough?

what about brass nuts?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
For a guitar as "standard in the industry" as a Les Paul, you might be able to find a pre-filed; pre-shaped nut rather easily. But if not; do not despair. Nut replacements are not as difficult or as expensive as a lot of people think they are.

Bone is the traditional guitar nut material, and if your repair tech is a traditional guy (or girl), they will probably recommend going with bone. As long as your repair tech has (a.) the right files, and (b.) the right string spacing gauge, you should have absolutely no problems. I have seen repair techs do a first-rate job of replacing a broken string nut (file, shape, and install a bone string nut) for about US$50.00. I would expect the high end to be around US$80.00, and that is if your guitar has some odd string spacing, or if someone replaced the nut before, and used some powerful glue (or worse) to glue the thing in. That can jack up the labor cost, because it is a royal pain to remove the old nut. I have seen that happen a few times.

Brass string nuts on guitars were the thing back in the late 1970s. They had a couple of things going for them: they did not break, and as long as the brass alloy was properly hardened, they did not wear out. The original hype for brass string nuts was that they were said to increase sustain, but if you think about it, that would happen only with an open string. But assuming it is properly sized, spaced, and installed, it would probably be the last string nut your guitar would ever need.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
For a guitar as "standard in the industry" as a Les Paul, you might be able to find a pre-filed; pre-shaped nut rather easily. But if not; do not despair. Nut replacements are not as difficult or as expensive as a lot of people think they are.

Bone is the traditional guitar nut material, and if your repair tech is a traditional guy (or girl), they will probably recommend going with bone. As long as your repair tech has (a.) the right files, and (b.) the right string spacing gauge, you should have absolutely no problems. I have seen repair techs do a first-rate job of replacing a broken string nut (file, shape, and install a bone string nut) for about US$50.00. I would expect the high end to be around US$80.00, and that is if your guitar has some odd string spacing, or if someone replaced the nut before, and used some powerful glue (or worse) to glue the thing in. That can jack up the labor cost, because it is a royal pain to remove the old nut. I have seen that happen a few times.

Brass string nuts on guitars were the thing back in the late 1970s. They had a couple of things going for them: they did not break, and as long as the brass alloy was properly hardened, they did not wear out. The original hype for brass string nuts was that they were said to increase sustain, but if you think about it, that would happen only with an open string. But assuming it is properly sized, spaced, and installed, it would probably be the last string nut your guitar would ever need.

lots of good information, thanks!

where would be the best place to look for a pre-filed nut?

i have removed and installed a nut before, but it was on a friends bass and it wasn't the most precise.

i think i will drop the brass idea, what do you prefer? bone or tusq?

where is a good place to find a tech? i haven't ever needed one before, i have done everything myself.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Tusq and graphite are among my faves. Or, more accurately, are used on some of my favorite guitars.

If you want to DIY, start looking at places like STEWMAC, WDMusic, Allparts, Guitar Parts USA, Guitar Parts Global, etc.

Otherwise, most guitar shops either have a tech or have one on speed dial. There really is no good rule for selecting one, although the shops specializing in high end gear will usually have top notch techs just to keep the clientele happy.

My closest GC had a guy who was a touring guitar tech for some big acts, but now that he's in his 60's, he doesn't want to put up with the grind of the tours anymore. So, to keep busy, he took a job at GC.

I've been lucky with my FLMS, too. The guy they had for years was, like the guy at GC, someone who had worked for some demanding taskmasters, so knew his stuff. He left for a different store last year, only to be replaced by a guy who has been making guitars since the 1970s.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Even a pre filed nut will need some work done to it. Your better off taking it to a luther if you don't want to buy a set of nut files.