Hey. Some weeks ago I opened a thread about issues I have with improving at economy picking which I try to incorporate naturally into my playing; no matter how long I practice it - and it's overdue by months upon months, I can't get it right. I've also been trying to practice rather often at more straightforward sweep-picking since perhaps the first year I've been playing, which is close to 6-years by now, and I got OK-yish at some parts of it, but I can't get anything crazy done properly even though I've put more hours than what your average adequate sweeper would put to get at a professional level. I think my main issue with the technique, which is usually more prominently evident in economy picking of scales, is doing the upstrokes and the changing of direction; it also tends to get more troublesome at the thinner strings.

I just put together a simple short sweeping pattern that I (on purpose) broke into short chord-sections which quickly alternate between picking direction through a measure and then change into a lower part of the chord, which also involves repeating the last note of the previous measure.
If anyone who's capable of playing it properly ON CLEAN could perhaps get a closeup of his guitar while performing it, once more slowly and then at about the tempo I set in Guitar Pro, that would be great! Maybe then I could catch a better grasp of how the picking hand of a good sweeper should look like.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments:
Sweep.gp5
Last edited by TLGuitar at May 9, 2015,
Do you really expect someone to learn and record themselves playing that so you can get a better idea of how the picking hand should be? Seems a bit excessive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw5FL69WBk4

This is pretty much the same idea as what you wrote, and he's going to play it cleaner than anyone on this planet. I understand you're looking more so for patterns that have those real quick switches without the hammer-on, but you're probably never going to get a video response here.
Last edited by vayne92 at May 12, 2015,
Quote by vayne92
Do you really expect someone to learn and record themselves playing that so you can get a better idea of how the picking hand should be? Seems a bit excessive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw5FL69WBk4

This is pretty much the same idea as what you wrote, and he's going to play it cleaner than anyone on this planet. I understand you're looking more so for patterns that have those real quick switches without the hammer-on, but you're probably never going to get a video response here.

Well, I assumed most people wouldn't care for the effort, but amateur players who can play highly technical pieces seem to have become a dime a dozen, and with almost everyone today having a smartphone that can record in HD - if you can play what I posted, recording yourself sweeping a couple of bars of Ab minor (that's all it is, if you didn't take a look) shouldn't take more than a few moments. I don't diminish from anyone who may be willing to do so, but I mean that it isn't excessively more demanding than answering someone's question with a few paragraphs of text.

Either way, I'll also take a look at the video you linked to. Thanks.