...pick my guitar.

I want to develop my fingerpicking technique. At the moment I can play songs like Hallelujah by fingerpicking the notes, but I want to learn to be able to develop my technique and ability.

Does anyone know any exercises I could use to help?

Thanks.
Some may disagree with me, but I never do exercises to learn some technique. I learn songs that use the technique that I want to develop and it works better that way for me. I find exercises to be quite boring and using a song is much more fun. Plus, I prefer to learn new techniques in a musical context.

I only use exercises when it is really necessary (like, if I am really struggling with a certain technique) or when I need to warm up my fingers a bit before playing.

And remember, when learning a song that uses fingerpicking (or any other technique for that matter) and you can't play it, slow it down and increase the tempo gradually.
Last edited by DanyFS at May 9, 2015,
Most folks start learning fingerstyle by doing "Travis Picking" or "pattern picking". It's one of those things that's difficult to describe in print but easy to learn when you see it done....There are all manner of Youtube vids and instructional pages on the basics. Listen to well-known tunes like "Landslilde" and "Dust in the Wind". Standard stuff.

For most (for me, at any rate) it was a matter of struggling for a while with the technique and then one day it clicks and you have it.
From that simple, repeating pattern you can add the usual embellishments; hammers, pull-offs, bass runs, and so forth.
You can take this as far as you like.....Try giving a listen to James Taylor, Joan Baez, Paul Simon, even Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul, and Mary.
Quote by Ieuan93
...pick my guitar.

I want to develop my fingerpicking technique. At the moment I can play songs like Hallelujah by fingerpicking the notes, but I want to learn to be able to develop my technique and ability.

Does anyone know any exercises I could use to help?

Thanks.

Simple solution practice finger picking patterns you're interested in slowly to a metronome. That's how I did it especially with Travis picking since you need your thumb to have a mind of it's own.
I've been learning fingerstyle since October(ish) last year. Making great progress and really enjoying it. I've started learning songs that have the bass line and accompanying melody, songs I used to sit and watch people play, with awe. But to start with you just want to learn to play simple patterns so that you eventually get used to the positioning of the right hand.

I started by following the guide on fingerpick.net - though I use nails/flesh, not finger picks as he suggests. The other thing is he suggests is anchoring with your pinky. This will likely make it easier to pick up fingerstyle as it gives you a reference point. However, as you get better I suggest removing the anchor as it gives more flexibility in ring finger - but that's not a hard and fast rule. Some great guitarists still anchor the pinky.

Lastly, when you feel like you're comfortable enough to start learning some songs, guitarnick.com has some great tabs with accompanying video. A lot of recognizable, but short, songs from beginner all the way up to very advanced.

It's a long journey, but an immensely satisfying one.