Hi every one so I though about replacing the Licensed Floyd Rose on my ESP LTD M-400 with a Original or Special. I know the things I should look before buying it (every measure is correct etc) but i still doubt if it is worth. The cheapest Floyd i've found is this one at rareelectricguitars.com
http://www.rareelectricguitar.com/Floyd-Rose-Special-Double-Locking-Tremolo-FRTS1000-Chrome-sale_2399.html
and as I don't want to **** it up I'll have it changed by a good luthier i know, cause I don't trust myself on this

so tell me please your experience if you have done so (replacing a FR) and especially if it pays off

thank in advance
is there anythig wrong with the floyd that is on it? not really to sure that the floyd you have listed would really be much better. zinc alloy isn't all that great for floyds, they just wear out faster.
You should totally get the Original, or a Schaller Lockmeister or a Gotoh. The Special is made of zinc, while the others are hardened steel. That makes the knife edges much more resistant and less prone to tuning stabillity issues. Zinc wears out faster, the Special is not worth it.

The Gotoh FR costs as much as that Special here in Europe and its quality is much much better. Not sure how much it costs where you live though.

It's not that hard to swap a Floyd Rose, as long as you get one with the same dimensions. I suppose there is no need for a luthier for this.
Last edited by DanyFS at May 9, 2015,
Quote by DanyFS
You should totally get the Original, or a Schaller Lockmeister or a Gotoh. The Special is made of zinc, while the others are hardened steel. That makes the knife edges much more resistant and less prone to tuning stabillity issues. Zinc wears out faster, the Special is not worth it.

The Gotoh FR costs as much as that Special here in Europe and its quality is much much better. Not sure how much it costs where you live though.

It's not that hard to swap a Floyd Rose, as long as you get one with the same dimensions. I suppose there is no need for a luthier for this.

Mmm didn't know that about the zinc, you have saved my a lot of money, thanks a lot. I know Schaller makes original floyds, do you know if their licensed could be as good?
Quote by monwobobbo
is there anythig wrong with the floyd that is on it? not really to sure that the floyd you have listed would really be much better. zinc alloy isn't all that great for floyds, they just wear out faster.

thanks for the info about the zinc, I should be more carefull with those things. The problem is that it goes out of tune if I use it, with dives of pull ups, and as I want to learn to use a floyd, i need something that holds up my playing
I'm using a Floyd Rose 1000 series and it's absolutely incredible. Tuning stability is great. I can practice pretty rough on it, and tug all over and it still holds up and stays rock solid in tuning. (Granted I don't tug TOO far on it.)
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Quote by Diego Carnero
Mmm didn't know that about the zinc, you have saved my a lot of money, thanks a lot. I know Schaller makes original floyds, do you know if their licensed could be as good?

I never tried a Schaller Lockmeister myself, but I've heard some people saying that they are as good or even better than the Original.

Again, I don't know the prices where you live, but here a Lockmeister costs around 170 euros and an Original Floyd Rose around 330 euros.

If the difference is as big where you live as it is in here, buy the Lockmeister if it fits your guitar. You save a lot of money and get an awesome Floyd.

I'm talking about this one: http://www.thomann.de/pt/schaller_original_tremolo_lockmeister_c.htm

It is also available in other finishes.

I'm not sure if you meant this one when you said Schaller Licensed FR, but if you did, I'm quoting what a guy told me on a thread I created yesterday: http://www.thomann.de/pt/schaller_fr_tremolo_i_370_bk.htm

Quote by dspellman
Not likely to be any differences, honestly. Certainly not in materials.

My guess is that the black one is just old stock (Schaller I 370), thus cheaper. Left over from before they started calling them "lockmeisters."

Since the price difference is only 20 euros, I would say that the Lockmeister is more worth it.
Quote by DanyFS
I never tried a Schaller Lockmeister myself, but I've heard some people saying that they are as good or even better than the Original.

Again, I don't know the prices where you live, but here a Lockmeister costs around 170 euros and an Original Floyd Rose around 330 euros.

If the difference is as big where you live as it is in here, buy the Lockmeister if it fits your guitar. You save a lot of money and get an awesome Floyd.

I'm talking about this one: http://www.thomann.de/pt/schaller_original_tremolo_lockmeister_c.htm

It is also available in other finishes.

I'm not sure if you meant this one when you said Schaller Licensed FR, but if you did, I'm quoting what a guy told me on a thread I created yesterday: http://www.thomann.de/pt/schaller_fr_tremolo_i_370_bk.htm

Since the price difference is only 20 euros, I would say that the Lockmeister is more worth it.

yeah, that one is the licensed i was refering to. I live in spain, and the lockmeister is 170€ at Thomann, so judging by what you said, price and schaller's reputation it's by far the best option

really thanks mate, you've helped me a lot
Quote by Diego Carnero
yeah, that one is the licensed i was refering to. I live in spain, and the lockmeister is 170€ at Thomann, so judging by what you said, price and schaller's reputation it's by far the best option

really thanks mate, you've helped me a lot

You're welcome man! Here's the Lockmeister and Gotoh dimensions so you can compare them with your LFR:

Gotoh:

Lockmeister:

Quote by Diego Carnero
WOW thanks for caring so much, I was searching for this right now

Quote by DanyFS

from what i hear, the lockmeister is an OFR with a schaller stamp on it (schaller makes the OFR). Once the patent expired on the OFR, they (presumably) figured offering their own version of exactly the same thing, at a cheaper price, was a good idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by DanyFS
I never tried a Schaller Lockmeister myself, but I've heard some people saying that they are as good or even better than the Original. .

The Original Floyd Rose came in two versions: The korean version that Floyd sold to large manufacturers like Gibson and Fender and the Schaller version that went into bubble packs for sale to aftermarket buyers and to small builders. The Korean version was produced on two different production lines "to Floyd Rose Specs."

There are no more "licensed" versions. As of a couple of years ago the patent ran out on the one we're most familiar with, and there's no longer any reason for the folks that build them to license them. Schaller's Lockmeister and the Gotoh version are generally considered slightly *better* than the OFR.

Floyd itself has renamed the OFR the FRO (Floyd Rose Original) -- don't ask. That's the Schaller-made version.

There's also another name for what WAS the OFR from Korea, and that still goes to the large manufacturers. In fact, the only way you can get one of these is to buy a guitar from a large manufacturer. The materials and measurements are supposed to be identical.

At some level, Floyd itself sells what we knew as a Licensed version, and it has slightly different materials and it's less expensive.
Quote by dspellman
The Original Floyd Rose came in two versions: The korean version that Floyd sold to large manufacturers like Gibson and Fender and the Schaller version that went into bubble packs for sale to aftermarket buyers and to small builders. The Korean version was produced on two different production lines "to Floyd Rose Specs."

There are no more "licensed" versions. As of a couple of years ago the patent ran out on the one we're most familiar with, and there's no longer any reason for the folks that build them to license them. Schaller's Lockmeister and the Gotoh version are generally considered slightly *better* than the OFR.

Floyd itself has renamed the OFR the FRO (Floyd Rose Original) -- don't ask. That's the Schaller-made version.

There's also another name for what WAS the OFR from Korea, and that still goes to the large manufacturers. In fact, the only way you can get one of these is to buy a guitar from a large manufacturer. The materials and measurements are supposed to be identical.

At some level, Floyd itself sells what we knew as a Licensed version, and it has slightly different materials and it's less expensive.

Quote by Dave_Mc
from what i hear, the lockmeister is an OFR with a schaller stamp on it (schaller makes the OFR). Once the patent expired on the OFR, they (presumably) figured offering their own version of exactly the same thing, at a cheaper price, was a good idea.

Thanks for the info guys! That was really interesting
Quote by DanyFS

The baseplate & knife edge's on the FR Special are NOT made of Zinc. It is made of the same grade of hardened steel as the German & Korean OFR. It's the saddles & sustain block that are made of Zinc. So the most important part for tuning stability & longevity is made of the good stuff. It's the saddles you need to be careful with.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
The baseplate & knife edge's on the FR Special are NOT made of Zinc. It is made of the same grade of hardened steel as the German & Korean OFR. It's the saddles & sustain block that are made of Zinc. So the most important part for tuning stability & longevity is made of the good stuff. It's the saddles you need to be careful with.

Oh, I did not knew about that. Thought the knife edges were made of Zinc too. But I went to Floyd Rose official website and the steel used in the Special is not of the same grade of the OFR.

http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/tremolos/6:special-series/special
riginal-series/original">riginal-series/original">http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/tremolos/6riginal-series/original

It's steel, but not as strong as OFRs.

But in any case, the Schallers and Gotohs are more worth it.
Quote by Way Cool JR.

saddles hold strings in place so having those wear out doesn't help at all. keep in mind that what the clamp at the nut is made out of is very important a well. if the nut doesn't clamp tight then your tuning goes out the window.
Quote by monwobobbo
saddles hold strings in place so having those wear out doesn't help at all. keep in mind that what the clamp at the nut is made out of is very important a well. if the nut doesn't clamp tight then your tuning goes out the window.

I get what you are saying. I was only clarifying that the baseplate & knife edges are not made of Zinc, like stated. I've never had any issues with Zinc saddles over the decades anyways, so they don't bother me to bad. The nut used on the FRS's is the same as the Korean & German OFR's so that shouldn't be a problem. The only thing I would feel the need to upgrade on an FRS (or FRS equiped guitar) is the trem block.
Quote by DanyFS

I'm not sure that it matters at all, though.

I've got a '92 Samick with a cheap gold licensed Floyd. I've got a brand new shiny Schaller sitting on the shelf, waiting for the day the thing goes belly up. Thing is, that old licensed Floyd with the "not as strong as OFRs" steel is doing easily as well as my new ones on other guitars. And trust me, it's been used.

Unless you're Brad Gillis or the thing is made of paper mache or you're a complete idiot, that "not as strong as OFRs" thing is likely to last as long as you're going to have the guitar.
Quote by dspellman
I'm not sure that it matters at all, though.

I've got a '92 Samick with a cheap gold licensed Floyd. I've got a brand new shiny Schaller sitting on the shelf, waiting for the day the thing goes belly up. Thing is, that old licensed Floyd with the "not as strong as OFRs" steel is doing easily as well as my new ones on other guitars. And trust me, it's been used.

Unless you're Brad Gillis or the thing is made of paper mache or you're a complete idiot, that "not as strong as OFRs" thing is likely to last as long as you're going to have the guitar.

I know what you're talking about, I have a Jackson with a LFR and it works fine. All it needs is a good setup and good care.

But, what I was trying to say was, if the FR Special costs as much as a Gotoh or a Schaller, it is more worth it to buy the Gotoh or the Schaller. They are made of higher quality materials than the Special.