i want a single channel straight up rock amp because i never use a clean tone and that makes channel switchers pointless. i am looking at a couple high gain single channel heads and i just want to know how they compare. they are the jcm900 slx, the vht deliverance, and the laney gh50l. i would say the soldano avenger and orange or50 but im not rich. anyway how do the slx, deliverance, and gh50l compare for a general mid rangey punk tone. i play everything from the stooges to rise against, pennywise and all points in between.
I probably like the OR50 for that grimy midrange which is perfect for punk. VHT/Fryette Deliverance would probably be my second choice if the price is right but honestly these are all good.
If you don't want to switch channels a XXX set on its crunch channel does a pretty good punk tone, you don't have to use the other two and would pay about $500 used
Marshall is the most overrated brand ever. I'm personally a big fan of Laney amps, great metal amps, but also very versatile.
Peavey Winsor. may need a boost for modern metal but is one channel with a fair amount of gain. not made anymore but can be had pretty cheap.
gh50L should do it

avenger might be a bit more modern-sounding (though is a better amp, if you know what i mean)

deliverance would probably do it too

i'm not that well up on punk though
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The SL-X is a beast and so is the Laney GH50l, so really which ever you think looks best.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Interesting mix of amplifiers; to be sure. The Marshall JCM900SLX was designed to be more of a high gain amp than were previous Marshalls. Some people loved them; others did not. A lot of Punk players seemed very happy with it. The VHT is great, but some people find its distortion to be a bit "too technical;" or perhaps "too refined." It is definitely aimed at metalheads. For what you have described, I think that you could almost flip a coin between the Laney and the Marshall. Either should suit you very well.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at May 9, 2015,
Man I'd just got with a jcm2000dsl, cover all of that, and have a clean channel...
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by FatalGear41
The VHT is great, but some people find its distortion to be a bit "too technical;" or perhaps "too refined." It is definitely aimed at metalheads.

I thought the deliverance was more aimed at more straight-ahead rock players? It didn't seem as metal as some of the other VHTs when I tried it, but at the same time it's ages since I did and I might think it's pretty heavy-sounding these days
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by monwobobbo
Peavey Winsor. may need a boost for modern metal but is one channel with a fair amount of gain. not made anymore but can be had pretty cheap.

if you want to go cheap, then +1 to this, it's supposedly Peavey's "copy" of a JCM800.