"Wait 5 minutes when turning on and before turning off."

"I just flip both the switches and play until sound comes out."

I ask because my VK has been staying on for 2 hours straight on Sunday mornings, most the time on standby. I'm too worried that if I turn on power shortly before I go up, then off standby right before I perform, that it won't be warmed up enough. Generally I give 5 minutes between turning on the power and turning off standby. Haven't had any noticeable issues with that time frame.

Could I push it back to a minute between switch flipping? What about cool-down time? Is that even a thing? Does it depend on the amp? Is the proper time frame linked to how long it takes the amp to start playing when switched off standby, and how long it takes for it to stop producing sound when switched on standby?

30 seconds to a minute should be fine.

I don't know about any cooldown time, but I don't flip both switches off. I use a slight delay between each switch because I want to avoid any unnecessary pops.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Tube amps don't need to warm up at all.
in fact leaving the amp in standby for two hours is not good for your tubes.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I just flip both of them.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
5 seconds. Really, you're just trying to limit inrush current by staggering heater and HT currents. It won't hurt the tubes if you start playing before it warms up enough to hear anything. Well, no other tube device had a standby switch back in the day. You just turned them on and waited for sound to come out.

Off doesn't matter at all.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My amp doesn't even have a standby switch and it's been working like a charm for almost a couple years now, and I bought it used so who knows how long that power tube was in there.

The only things I substituted were a couple caps and the pre tube, all out of taste tho 'cause everything would be working fine if I left it that way.

Some say tube amps sound better when the tubes are warmed up but I've never noticed anything like that really, so I simply turn everything on and play, stop playing and then turn everything off.
Then repeat.
It'll be fine.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Yeah my VK powers up in like a minute. I have played amps that take like 2-3 minutes to warm up enough, though.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
I usually wait about 5 minutes which at the time when I was rehearsing with a band counted as shooting the breeze and having a cig.

When recording in the studio we used to power on amps about half hour to an hour on a session, I definitely can say that you would notice an improvement in tone after the 15 minutes an amp is on. Maybe it was the older designs but that was standard when our intern was prepping for a session in lockdown - the amps had to be on at least 30 minutes before the arrival of the client.
Quote by AcousticMirror

+1, you can do more harm than good leaving them on standby for too long

generally 30 seconds to a couple of minutes before switching on (if that's even necessary, I just do it for handiness).

no need at all to leave it on standby before switching off (you want the tubes to cool down, how will leaving the heaters on help with that? ), but a lot of players switch to standby before turning off just so the switches are in the correct place for the next time the amp is turned on
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I turn them both off and on at the same time and start to play before sound comes out.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
i turn mine on and then check tuning of guitar. by the times that's done flip on switch start to play. i do notice with some amps that when the tubes get glowing big time that the tone does change a little. my Legend (preamp tubes only) really comes to life after say a half hour of playing.
For my amp it takes about 30 seconds to hear the sound. So I usually wait 30 seconds and then turn the standby off. When I turn the amp off, I first turn the standby on and then turn the power off (a couple of seconds after turning the standby on). If I turn the power off straight away, it makes a popping noise. But yeah, some amps don't even have standby switches. I guess it doesn't really matter.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Tremolo Bum
I turn them both off and on at the same time and start to play before sound comes out.

Right there with ya!!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by AcousticMirror

This. When it starts making sound, it's ready to go.
Quote by Cathbard
5 seconds. Really, you're just trying to limit inrush current by staggering heater and HT currents. It won't hurt the tubes if you start playing before it warms up enough to hear anything. Well, no other tube device had a standby switch back in the day. You just turned them on and waited for sound to come out.

Off doesn't matter at all.

Quote by dspellman
This. When it starts making sound, it's ready to go.

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well it makes no difference for me to leave the amp on standby for long because the tubes dont get hot enough the way that they do when you have the amp running for 15min or longer. I can see it of being some use if you were playing where it snowed & the amp was left in the car trunk on the street, then keeping the amp on standby for 15min might prove useful. Otherwise 30secs or 1min is enough for the amp to be on standby mode.

When turning it off i first flip the standby & then the power button, that way next time when i go start the amp the standby switch is in the correct position.
Quote by Tremolo Bum
Why not keeping the standby switch on all the times and flip only one switch everytime though?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
30 seconds is all you need. Extended periods of standby is not recommended due to a thing called "cathode poisoning". Google it up.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
to be honest, the standby switch is totally unnesessary in an amp unless you want some sort of mute switch. In fact, leaving the standby switch off for 2 hours can and likely will cause cathode stripping, which is bad for the tubes longetivity. the tubes warm up in like 5-10 seconds. By the time they are nice and warm, the filter caps would be charged and you can make sounds at full volume. I have no clue about any problems related to cooldown of tubes when turning it on or off. the amp stops making sound after you turn it off in whatever time it takes for the filter caps to drain, which is just a few seconds.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
i know i don't have to, but i flip one switch, wait like one second and turn on the second, and wait for the noise.

when i turn it off, i flip one, wait a second, then flip the other.

i feel better that way so at least there is a tiny gap of time, kind of like when cath mentioned to "limit current inrush" and don't kill it too fast.

if i walk away longer than five minutes i turn the amp off, but i don't wait more than a second or two for power on of off.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by AcousticMirror

I once fell asleep (err, passed out?) for about 12 hours with it on standby.
It still worked.
I think I still had the stock tubes in it at the time though so It doesn't really matter.

Usually, I turn it on, put on my guitar at start playing usually. Maybe I'll power cycle my pedals or something. That usually takes about 20 seconds.
Although when we used to have weekly jams at my house, I would turn it to standby, go outside, smoke something, then go in and play.
Last edited by CodeMonk at May 11, 2015,
I'm with CodeMonk, you could leave your amp on standby for a whole day and would still work, and if you measured voltage it would be the same. And regards to Cathode poisoning I think it's just nonsense, leaving an amp on standby I don't think will cause it. Anyway cathode poisoning isn't terminal for a tube, it can be healed.
Gear

B.C Rich Wave Signature
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Schecter BlackJack ATX FR
Schecter Omen 7

Bugera 6262 212
Blackstar ID15 TVP
Quote by rickster100
I'm with CodeMonk, you could leave your amp on standby for a whole day and would still work, and if you measured voltage it would be the same. And regards to Cathode poisoning I think it's just nonsense, leaving an amp on standby I don't think will cause it. Anyway cathode poisoning isn't terminal for a tube, it can be healed.

Or 3 days, in the case of allowing a friend to use your amp who doesn't actually understand the switches...

Cathode poisoning isn't "nonsense" per se, but the concerns are grossly overblown.
Charles Darwin
Yeah, but why risk it? I just mute the input and leave the amp on between sets. The standby switch is more of a fashion statement these days. Just unnecessary.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, but why risk it? I just mute the input and leave the amp on between sets. The standby switch is more of a fashion statement these days. Just unnecessary.

I agree.
Charles Darwin