Hi,

Changed strings on my rg and removed the stop bar for a floating trem. The thing just won't stay in tune, it's completely hopeless, by the time I've tightend the lock nut the strings are way out. Any ideas?
Quote by gravyYelp
by the time I've tightend the lock nut the strings are way out. Any ideas?
You are supposed to tune the guitar with the fine tuners on the bridge after you tightened the lock nut. So yeah, it's anticipated that it will be out of tune by the time you tightened the lock nut.
Thanks for the replies.

I've stretched the strings a bit using the trem and bending them, pulling them off fretboard.

It was fine with the stop bar, but i'd like to try out the floating trem rather than just dips with the stop bar.

I tune each string using the pegs, tighten the lock nut tight, tune using fine tuner and work from the low e string downwards. By the time ive tuned the guitar and pluck the low e string again, its miles out, and theres not enough thread left on the fine tuner to tune it in.

I've taken the stop bar out about three days ago, how long does it take to settle?
Quote by gravyYelp
Thanks for the replies.

I've stretched the strings a bit using the trem and bending them, pulling them off fretboard.

It was fine with the stop bar, but i'd like to try out the floating trem rather than just dips with the stop bar.

I tune each string using the pegs, tighten the lock nut tight, tune using fine tuner and work from the low e string downwards. By the time ive tuned the guitar and pluck the low e string again, its miles out, and theres not enough thread left on the fine tuner to tune it in.

I've taken the stop bar out about three days ago, how long does it take to settle?

tune the strings in pairs starting with the E strings and working your way in. this will help. you really do have to spend some time stretching the strings otherwise you will have issues. this is part of teh downside to locking trems.
Quote by gravyYelp
TBy the time ive tuned the guitar and pluck the low e string again, its miles out, and theres not enough thread left on the fine tuner to tune it in.
On a floating bridge tuning is an iterative process. You have to keep tuning the strings until they are all finally in tune. Each time you tune a string it makes the others go out of tune. But each repetition gets closer and closer until it's finally in tune.
It could be that the springs on the trem are worn as well. How long since you've been using the springs on the trem?
Personally, I'll probably tighten them just an idea into the guitar so they are in a different position than they were while you didn't float the trem.

The way I tune Floyd trem, I open all the clamps on the 0 fret. Put all the fine tuning pegs in middle position so you have enough give each way to go lower or higher. Tune guitar a little sharp about 1/4 tone sharper than usual, kinda ballpark it. Close only the middle. Check tuning on the open strings that are not locked, and tuning on locked strings, tuning strings should lose just a little so they've probably gone a tad flat that when you locked but you're in the ballpark. Re-tune the still open strings, lock the next two, either higher or lower, repeat tuning process, then the last two. Finally use the fine tuning.