Hi,

So, I have had a guitar for a while. A few years actually. When I first got it and I knew next to nothing it was great. I was learning new things pretty much everyday from various lessons online and I was seeing improvement regularly.

After a while I had learned the basic chords, barre chords, a few scales and various other little techniques and skills along the way while learning songs.

I actually followed the 'justinguitar' beginners course and then the intermediate method. I did skip some of the lessons within the courses but the majority of it I went through and learned.

Not long after I finished the courses it started to get boring because I just wasn't sure where to take it from there. Should I just keep learning more and more songs? I assume not but that is what I was asking myself as I just wasn't sure.

Anyway the improvement stopped and I wasn't learning anything new. I wasn't practicing in the same way I was before and although I would pick my guitar up everyday numerous times for short intervals, I would just be playing things I had already learned or I would just be messing around with the basic scales I had learned.

I saw a post on another forum which I can't remember the name of but it pretty much said if you're not that good then you may aswell give up and find something you are naturally good at rather than trying to get good at something you're not naturally good at. I find that quite discouraging and I hope I don't get any responses like that.

I just want to see how people on here progressed and learned. I want to gain a little more knowledge everyday and see myself slowly improve. Are there any online courses you can suggest from personal experience? What would you suggest?

Oh and thanks if if you took the time to read this entire post
What kind of music do you want to play? That would help us help you if you mention it.

Quote by dannnnnnn123

I saw a post on another forum which I can't remember the name of but it pretty much said if you're not that good then you may aswell give up and find something you are naturally good at rather than trying to get good at something you're not naturally good at. I find that quite discouraging and I hope I don't get any responses like that.

Don't let anyone tell you that. With enough and, most importantly, PROPER practice, you can play anything.
progress slows after a while that is just the nature of the beast. you can't expect to make major strides every month or two. take the time to improve on what you know already. try some things outside of what you normally play.

after 35+ years of playing i'm no guitar hero and believe me noticeable progress just isn't there. but really it is it's just not in your face so to speak. i judge how i'm doing not by my best moment after playing for 2-3 hours but rather by what i can do when i first pick the guitar up to play. things that only worked out on my best day are now warm ups etc.
Quote by dannnnnnn123
Hi,

Not long after I finished the courses it started to get boring because I just wasn't sure where to take it from there. Should I just keep learning more and more songs? I assume not but that is what I was asking myself as I just wasn't sure.

Oh and thanks if if you took the time to read this entire post

It's really a simple fix honestly. You just don't have any new guitar related goals, and you're just playing the same things you've learnt over, and again. So of course it's going to get boring. I'd advise you to expand your horizons with learning get into a style of music that you're really interested in. Whether it's blues, Jazz, Metal, or Folk finger style. There's no real excuse as to why you could possibly be bored because there's too much to learn.. Start making goals, and things will start to progress for you.
Last edited by Black_devils at May 9, 2015,
Go jam with other people. It'll do so much for your playing you won't even believe it. The above advice of picking something stylistically different from what you're accustomed to and work at that is good advice as well, but as far as someone telling you that 'if you're not naturally good, just quit and save yourself the trouble' sort of shit, that's the worst advice I've ever heard. Very few people start of even halfway decent at anything, let alone 'good.' Natural ability can only take you so far, and beyond that, it's all hard work anyway. If you love something, don't ever let someone else make you feel less for it or take it away from you.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Learn how music works (harmony, melody, rhythm) in more and more detail. That leads to huge variation, choice, and creative options (independent of style).

Try and learn more challenging tunes.

How good are your ears? Recognition of intervals and chord types by ears is really useful.

How many chord voicings do you know?

Can you play horizontally along one or two strings to express yourself?

There is a ton of stuff, honestly.

And yes, play with better musicians if you can.

cheers, Jerry
If you have the desire to play you won't let anything stop you. I can't imagine not playing. It's my drug of choice. I gave up all the other substances many years ago but playing guitar is one habit I can't kick, don't want to and never will. I'm a six string junkie.

I progress in small but significant terms by challenging myself to learn something I don't already know. Don't sit down and play the same thing over and over, find something that is just out of your reach playing wise and commit yourself to learning it. Don't over-reach, be realistic and pick something you can learn well in a few weeks time or less, then pick something else. If it means that much to you, don't give up. Get help and solid advise if you need it.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Keep Going !!! Keep Going it is hard at first but it WILL get easier if you practice regularly
and if you really want to play YOU WILL !!! Don't EVER let anyone else judge your playing but you but be honest all the time with yourself only learn songs you really want to learn bit at
a time , play with other people and don't try to take on more than you can easily absorb I recently went back to a guitar store I haven't been to for a few years because they wanted me to play my guitar that they had had repaired and nearly died of embarrassment with my lump handed playing , anyway went back there again recently took a 335 off the stand plugged in and let it go , sounded ok to me !!! I never thought I could stand up in front of anyone and play but I can and so can you if you really want to , bit at a time yes you can
The best thing you can do is get together with other people and play. One thing I've always liked to do is find someone better than me and jam a little. That's not easy after 54 years playing and generally being considered one of the top 5 players in the area, I've only found one guy in the last 15 years who made me work for it. I loved it...I was told by several people I was the better player, but he was just as good as me in my opinion, and I loved every second of the jam session.

The thing is, jamming with someone better than you are will always make you work for it, and if you pay attention, you'll always learn something, even if it's something minor. It irritates the crap out of me when I pick up a guitar in a music store and some 16 year old kid puts it down and won't touch it again. One made the mistake of saying it to his friend one day...I can't play after THAT...I told him, nicely though, he was basically an idiot, he should always pick up a guitar and play when he sees someone who is a better player, he'll earn something. He finally decided to play a little but didn't try to jam with me. And the kid was pretty good for his age...just intimidated. I'm hoping he thought it over and didn't make that mistake again. If Eric Johnson walked into a music store I'd practically beg the guy to jam with me for a while. Anybody at his level, you name it, I'd grab a guitar so fast it would make your head spin.

Why? I'd learn something.

Playing in front of an audience is priceless. I've put together bands and got gigs booked before we thought we were ready. I'll do it every time though, one night onstage is worth 3 weeks in the practice room. Get together with some other people and get some jam sessions going, learn to cover as many styles as you can, find an open mic night and go plug in...I can play classic rock, blues, country, a little jazz, 50's, a little bluegrass, I've even tried keyboard solos to a damn polka at a VFW hall gig...

I don't let anyone or anything intimidate me. I've been playing since age 5, I played fill in gigs for 4 years, I can keep up with any band in town and don't care if I've never heard the song, as long as it doesn't have any oddball chord changes I can follow the band. That all comes from grabbing a guitar and playing any time I can with anyone who will let me. I'd get onstage with any musician you can name tonight without hesitation. And probably wouldn't look like an idiot...

Find some people to jam with. Don't hesitate to at least try something outside your normal horizons. If you think you can, try different instruments. I picked up everything in the high school band room and learned it. Sax, (my main instrument), clarinet, flute, trumpet, trombone, marimba, xylophone, drums, tubular bells, piano, percussion, literally every instrument in the place. Except oboe and bassoon, I couldn't get the expensive double reeds.

Get out there and play!
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...