I recently acquired an old and beat up yamaha acoustic (googling the serial number it came back saying it was made in 89 or 99). It needs a new nut, saddle, and bridge pins and looks like it may need new frets as well as they are incredibly low.

I don't want to spend a ton of money on this guitar but given that i already have 2 other acoustics, I'd like to do something fun with this guitar and make it a bit unique. Anyone have suggestions? Paint it? And easy and inexpensive mods to do? I just want a way to make it truly my own and look good on my wall.
I'd like to do something fun with this guitar
Cook marshmallows over it.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Replace all the parts that need replacing, since none of them should be very expensive. If you dont know how to replace the frets, this is a great oportunity to learn how to do it, because even if you screw up, you wont really be upset about destroying a guitar. You can also sand it down, paint it white, and draw a nice design with a sharpie on it, and then finish it.

Or just smash it on stage. I always wanted to do that.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
Replace all the parts that need replacing, since none of them should be very expensive. If you dont know how to replace the frets, this is a great oportunity to learn how to do it, because even if you screw up, you wont really be upset about destroying a guitar. You can also sand it down, paint it white, and draw a nice design with a sharpie on it, and then finish it.

Or just smash it on stage. I always wanted to do that.

any recommendations on where to get the stuff to try refretting it myself? and roughly how much it'll cost to do that?
a cheap piezo pickup system which on ebay is about 11 bucks, other than that custom parts like new tuner knobs perhaps if the tuners resemble grovers you're good.. custom string saddle pins

perhaps that sound hole covers, potentially a different pickguard, or stickers and inlay decals (which last surprisingly long) is all I can think of. This is why I like to modify electrics is the more common the shape is the more options you have.Usually with broken , beat up or free guitars I get I try crazy things on it. I scalloped one acoustics fretboard , as all my main guitars are like it. I learned to do this or that repair and all. Sometimes cheap guitars with a bit of love sound as good as expensive guitars. We just have to let our ears and not our wallets decide.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at May 11, 2015,