I just bought a Les Paul a few weeks ago (first time ever having a LP) and I noticed that I can pop out the volume knobs. What exactly does that do? I've been searching on the internet for an answer, but I didn't get a clear understanding
Quote by J23L
I just bought a Les Paul a few weeks ago (first time ever having a LP) and I noticed that I can pop out the volume knobs. What exactly does that do? I've been searching on the internet for an answer, but I didn't get a clear understanding

it is a coil tap
It basically allows you to get single coil sound from the humbucking pick-ups.

What model is it exactly?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
it is a coil tap
It basically allows you to get single coil sound from the humbucking pick-ups.

What model is it exactly?

Epiphone Standard Pro
Quote by J23L
Epiphone Standard Pro

yeah it is the coil tap feature. I have several guitars that have that feature, I don't use it often, but it is nice to have for variety.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
yeah it is the coil tap feature. I have several guitars that have that feature, I don't use it often, but it is nice to have for variety.

Yea, i noticed many guitarists don't use the single coil feature. I can barely hear a difference between the single coil and double coil sounds.
IT will probably be much more noticeable on a clean sounding channel. Single coils tend to have more of a bright spankiness to then as opposed to a fuller humbucker sound.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9