I am looking to upgrade to a tube amp and I had question. I've been playing a Fender Mustang III as a bedroom amp without it being too loud. How does the Hot Rod Deluxe compare loudness wise will I be able to play it in my bedroom?
Quote by Dark_Star94
I am looking to upgrade to a tube amp and I had question. I've been playing a Fender Mustang III as a bedroom amp without it being too loud. How does the Hot Rod Deluxe compare loudness wise will I be able to play it in my bedroom?

yeah you can. it will most likely be a little touchier with the volume knob though. i use a 50 watt tube amp at home to practice all the time and manage not to piss the neighbors (or mrs) off (much ).
Quote by monwobobbo
yeah you can. it will most likely be a little touchier with the volume knob though. i use a 50 watt tube amp at home to practice all the time and manage not to piss the neighbors (or mrs) off (much ).

Cool I think I am going to jump on this Fender Deluxe.
It is a ridiculously loud amp. I don't need to push mine more than 2 on the volume dial to compete with a drummer and bassist. It is also a wonderful amplifier to run pedals through!
Quote by SillyTaka21
It is a ridiculously loud amp. I don't need to push mine more than 2 on the volume dial to compete with a drummer and bassist. It is also a wonderful amplifier to run pedals through!

Cool I am going to run a Tube Screamer, Boss DS-1, Line 6 DL4, Phase 90, and Crybaby Wah. Maybe invest in a Big Muff and Boss OC-3.
Last edited by Dark_Star94 at May 10, 2015,
Quote by Dark_Star94
Cool I am going to run a Tube Screamer, Boss DS-1, Line 6 DL4, Phase 90, and Crybaby Wah. Maybe invest in a Big Muff and Boss OC-3.

Nice one! The overdrive/distortion channels are a little rubbish IMO, but..there's plenty of headroom on the clean channel (which sounds lovely), so your pedals will have quite a bit of room to breathe. (I use a Fulltone OCD and Russian Big Muff for overdrives and it sounds great!)

You might also wish to use an attenuator pedal to get the full effect of the driven tube sound...so you hear it even at a lower volume setting.
Also one last thing to note whilst I'm on it...it is also quite a heavy amp!
I have the 40w HRD combo myself, and...well...everything said above is pretty much true.

1) the dirt channel is garbage. I get a up on mine years ago.
2) the clean is gorgeous, and takes pedals well.
3) it is plenty powerful- mine never leaves the house, and almost never gets turned up to 3. My old guitar teacher turned me onto mine because he uses his for gigging and studio work all over Texas, in a wide variety of genres. About the only thing they don't handle well are the heavier genres.

I've had mine for @10 years now and nothing has gone wrong on mine yet. Not even a single tube.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by SillyTaka21
Nice one! The overdrive/distortion channels are a little rubbish IMO, but..there's plenty of headroom on the clean channel (which sounds lovely), so your pedals will have quite a bit of room to breathe. (I use a Fulltone OCD and Russian Big Muff for overdrives and it sounds great!)

You might also wish to use an attenuator pedal to get the full effect of the driven tube sound...so you hear it even at a lower volume setting.
Also one last thing to note whilst I'm on it...it is also quite a heavy amp!

I am going to be running clean 75% of the time. Do you think the distortion can cover some punk garage rock, Nirvana, Black Sabbath? For the rest of the time I am going to be playing indie/alternative psychedelic improv rock. Can you recommend a good attenuator pedal?
I'd just use dirt pedals instead of the amp's other channel.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by Dark_Star94
I am going to be running clean 75% of the time. Do you think the distortion can cover some punk garage rock, Nirvana, Black Sabbath? For the rest of the time I am going to be playing indie/alternative psychedelic improv rock. Can you recommend a good attenuator pedal?

no way on Sabbath or anything approaching metal. once you get past blues rock it just doesn't really cut it without a fair amount of help.
Quote by Dark_Star94

I'd definitely use pedals for your overdrive/distortion. The onboard overdrive sounds really wimpy and sounds very flat to my ear. (Which is a shame, as it excels in the clean department).
As for an attenuator, try something like a Weber Mini Mass, that will do the trick. Just be careful not to drive the tubes too hard all the time, otherwise they will wear out quickly!

If you can, try and find a local shop that has the amp in stock..take your pedals and guitar and give it a really good test drive.
With the right pedals, I can approximate classic hard rock/metal tones from the 60s & 70s, maybe some early proto-hair metal.

But I wouldn't fool anyone who is a big fan- it won't sound quite right.

nice loud clean amps. damn loud and damn clean. i haven't played the newer models, but back maybe eight years ago i played with a guy who had one and he used an OCD with it for OD and i loved it. i don't remember what amp i had then, i think it may have been a VK, but i don't think my ears were quite as discerning then though.

i say to just on it and get a good OD pedal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have the Blues Deville which has the same sound as the Hot Rod but is a 212. Its a gorgeous clean tone and takes pedals fantastically with little noise. I'd recommend the setup to anyone. Gain tones with pedals are as good as anything ive tried so far. Doesn't have the tightness for modern heavy tones but aside from that its great.