i might be buying my good friends soldano avenger 50 watt and i am going to play it tommorow and i was curious what is a good starting place settings wise for a hardcore punk tone in the vain of agnostic front, sick of it all, the exploited and so on. my guitar is a fender strat with a lone seymour duncan distortion humbucker in the bridge.
A good starting point would be to set all the controls to 5 and then use your ears to determine whether or not you need to add or remove gain or certain frequency ranges to get the kind of tone you want to hear.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Your best bet is to realize that you're using a freaking Soldano and it's gonna be hard to make it sound bad.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
they are really easy to dial in from my experience. its not like you are EQing something with passive and active EQ's like a mesa mk (which still don't take that long).

as it has been said, set the EQ at noon. try the gain at noon and three o'clock. see what you like, it will probably be in that range. practice at a practical volume and turn it up (if you can) try it with and without a boost. dial around until you have what you like.

generally i never turn the mid knob under noon.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Blompcube
A good starting point would be to set all the controls to 5 and then use your ears to determine whether or not you need to add or remove gain or certain frequency ranges to get the kind of tone you want to hear.

Excellent starting points.

I'm not familiar with the bands you listed; however, play around with both the High and Low inputs in combination with the Presence and Depth knobs to find what works best in a band setting (like most amps, what sounds good in solo practice may need tweaks with the band).

The Hotrod 100 Avenger (has effects loop that the regular didn't) I had was very easy to dial, as mentioned. How much is he selling?