What's up, people?

I've got an ESP Horizon NT-7 with EMG 707s, and they have got to go. They're boomy and clicky and super compressed. Long story short, not my cup of tea in the slightest. I run through a Peavey 5150 II and I play (of course) metal. Keep in mind, the pickups have to be EMG sized soapbars! The guitar is alder, with maple neck through, and an ebony fingerboard.

Things I want in a pickup:
Good string to string clarity - this is something I'm used to with the Titans in my S.
Tight low end - I 10/10 require low end that doesn't flub. Not something that sounds good in Bb standard.
Strong midrange - I don't like scooped sounding pickups.
For the neck, I like a fairly fluid solo tone - but not to the level of, say, Petrucci.

So, pickups I'm considering:

SD Distortion/Jazz: This is an old standby of mine. They generally do what I ask for.
BKP Holy Diver/VH-II: This combo is a little more vintage voiced than what I usually go for, and I'm wondering if they'll end up being a bit too vintage for my tastes (I'm usually a ceramic magnet bridge guy).
BKP Ceramic Nailbomb/VH-II: This is my frontrunner right now, since it seems to be a SD Distortion/Jazz set, but better.
BKP Miracle Man set: Frankly, I know next to nothing about these but they do sound good. A little scooped though, so I'm not sure how this will work out in my rig.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The SD Pegasus/Sentinel will probably do what you want really well.

I would recommend my go to of the Full Shred set, but A) You might have to get them soapbar sized from the custom floor ($), and B) For some reason, they seem to be pretty love/hate around here. They're the most clear and detailed pickups I've used though, with a perfect tightness.

I have an SD Distortion/Jazz in my RG and I think the Distortion is just too high output for full string clarity, after like 15K on Duncan's ratings it just gets messy. IME. So I'd be looking at the Full Shred, Pegasus (supposedly designed for this stuff), and maybe a Custom?

A Ceramic Nailbomb looks good too. If I were to ever venture into BKPs that's definitely where I would start.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Sounds like a Lace Deathbar/X-Bar 3.5 set is exactly what you want. Super clear and tight. The Deathbar has a boosted low mids compared to the X bar and the X bar in the neck is super smooth. The 3.5" models fit in 707 routes, only downside is you need to drill 4 new holes to mount then, which is not a huge deal, just don't drill through your guitar lol.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Sounds like a Lace Deathbar/X-Bar 3.5 set is exactly what you want. Super clear and tight. The Deathbar has a boosted low mids compared to the X bar and the X bar in the neck is super smooth. The 3.5" models fit in 707 routes, only downside is you need to drill 4 new holes to mount then, which is not a huge deal, just don't drill through your guitar lol.

Not a fan of Lace stuff, really. Good idea though!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Not a fan of Lace stuff, really. Good idea though!

All good. In that case yeah a Nazgul/Sentient may be good. Somethign not as gainy int he bridge you could do a Pegasus.

Also I've heard the 57/66 set from EMG is actually really good and very passive sounding, even PAF-like is some regards. With the new quick connects you should be able to swap them out pretty easily.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I actually can't stand the 57/66, I had a set and really didn't like them.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Check these out. I am very impressed by the Rio Grande pups I have. Never tried these actual pups (I no longer have a 7) but if they are as good as my Rio Grande P90's then they'll be very good.

https://www.riograndepickups.com/scart/SubCategories.asp?ProductName=7+String&SubCatName=HUMBUCKINGS
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Those new SD 7 string pups that others have said are a good shout. I personally like the blackouts in my schecter, but if you didn't like the EMG's they are active pups as well so you may not like them (although I think they are more passive sounding personally). And you can't really go wrong with bareknuckles.

If you are looking at them predominantly, give Tim at Bareknuckle an email, he's super helpful in saying which model will suit you most
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I would...oh- the Stig and Cath already beat me to it.

I'll add the Tesla Plasma 71 to the pile, though.
http://www.teslapickups.com/?products=plasma-71-7-string
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpRhrGguqNo&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 11, 2015,
So to update all of you - I was talking with Aaron from Blackwater Guitars, and I'm gonna try some of their new pickups. I'll be ordering a set of Elder Gods from them soon.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden