Hey guys!

first off:

Budget: under 200$ CAD (175USD, 150E, 125 pounds) more or less if possible. I can go for mroe but I'll have to cut other projects so it's not ideal.
used or new
I guess it can be a DIY project if it's relatively simple.
Styles of music: Alternative rock and classic rock
PRS custom made clone (SD JB and some other SD in the neck) through a t rex mudhoney 2 and a vox ac30c2

So I'm looking for a delay pedal and to be honest, I'm having a hard time finding one that has tap tempo and is relatively simple. There are a ton with integrated loopers, a million different delay simulations, tons of knobs etc.

I don't care about any of that. I want something simple, rugged with a warm sound. I want to be able to turn it on and tap the rhythm of the song and that's it.

I don't think I care if it's digital but I like a warm sound and don't care about ultra precision and infinite repeats.

I've seen some threads around here but I often see the DL4, the akai and a bunch of crazy high end gear being mentionned so I feel like those threads don't really apply to me.

Thanks!
yeah, as I mentionned in the OP, I don't need, care or want that many options. I don't care about 15 different delay sounds or a looper. I don't want a huge pedal on my board that will get used to 1% of its capability and I'd bet a pedal like that will need a dedicated power supply.

Not to mention that it's 100$ over my budget.
Deluxe Memory Boy by EHX, maybe? I loved it. Got rid of it in favor of the Flashback X4 and later the Timeline (because I needed the 15 different delay options and whatnot), but it's still one of my favourites. Might pick one up when I decide to build a board again.

The Ibanez ES-2 has been intriguing me for a while too. It looks really nice, but I don't have hands-on experience with it.

I can recommend the Diamond Qantum Leap and Way Huge Supa Puss as well, but those might be a bit over budget.
Ehx Deluxe memory boy gets my vote. Picked mine up used for 130. It does warm analogue delay and that's it. Has a cool tape flutter effect too, and a low pass feature which is a lifesaver because my tone is so beefy and low tuned, removes a lot of mud to cut through. I haven't tried it with an expression pedal but I'm glad for the option, would be really helpful to do feedback swells.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by flexiblemile
yeah, as I mentionned in the OP, I don't need, care or want that many options. I don't care about 15 different delay sounds or a looper. I don't want a huge pedal on my board that will get used to 1% of its capability and I'd bet a pedal like that will need a dedicated power supply.

Not to mention that it's 100$ over my budget.

Even used? That's like the cheapest I can think that sounds good and can be had about $130 used.

Honestly - I don't see what is overly complex about this unit but whatever...
Quote by diabolical

+1. It may not look it but it meets your criteria, and then some. You don't have to use all of its functions but they're fun to screw around with. If you don't wanna screw around with them, it's still a simple, warm (if you want) sounding delay with tap tempo. Nothing wrong with going simple, but if you can get the "and then some" for the same price, why not? (I know "why not", just sayin')

edit: I got mine for $100.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at May 11, 2015,
The dl4 is an awesome delay. That said I liked the tone of the deluxe memory boy better. The catalinbread echorec, I think that's what it's called, is arguably the best delay I've heard. I've seen it go used for 150/160usd. Super simple 3 knob setup and no matter what I did it sounded killer. ended up sticking with the memory boy but the echorec's a damn nice delay.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by diabolical
Even used? That's like the cheapest I can think that sounds good and can be had about $130 used.

Honestly - I don't see what is overly complex about this unit but whatever...

you're right, there are a few used in my price range close by. It's not really a question of being overly complex but of not wanting to pay for features that I'm 100% certain I'll never use.

I guess I'll try to go try it out at a store since so many of you like it.

The deluxe memory boy seems very interesting! I also saw the wampler faux echo. Anyone try one of these?
Cusack Tap-A-Delay seems to tick all your boxes, and should be within your budget used. Very nice warm sounding delay with a simple interface. Great modulation too if you care about that.

It's got some bells and whistles, but I think anything with a tap is going to have quite a few extra features. The ones on the Cusack are mostly hidden away so they're at least easy to ignore.

Wampler is probably good too, but I haven't played that one.
Another idea would be to buy something a delay that supports an expression input like the Memory Boy and buy a tap tempo pedal to go along with it. I don't know of any other analog delays that use tap tempo off the top of my head.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
I have a line6 echopark, It sounds really warm and fat on the analog setting, has tape setting and tap, paid $150 cad, well worth it
here is a +1 to the memory boy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
can i just point out that this is the perfect "which ____ pedal?" thread?

well done OP
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23

well done OP

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Way Huge Supa Puss

Bug MXR for a tap tempo Carbon Copy. That would be endgame for analog IMO.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Visual Sound(Trutone) Single Tap delay is usually around 160 US, tech 21 dla boost delay is another good option in that price range.
Quote by greeny23

well done OP

lol! Thank you very much! Lead through example, I guess haha.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. A lot of good sounding stuff. I have to say that so far the deluxe memory boy and the wampler faux echo are winning mostly because I found them for relatively cheap on a canadian website (I know I can get anything through the US but then I'd get raped on conversion and shipping fees)

Both pedals have good reputations and the demo videos for both are pretty good (but then again, the demo videos for the marshall mg15 make it sound good...)

I guess what I'm asking myself is if I prefer having the option to subdivide my delays (EHX) or if I want to have the simulated tape echo (Wampler)

The EHX is a bit ahead in the competition simply because it's getting more good reviews from you guys and no one has mentionned anything about the wampler yet.

Feel free to keep the discussion going. I'm going to sleep on it a few days (I make it a point of never buying anything within a week of deciding I need it. I saved a ton of money this way)

I'd really love to hear some feedback on the wampler, though.
You might check out the Joyo D-Seed delay, I think it ticks all your boxes, and is probably the simplest and least expensive delay with a tap tempo.
Quote by guitarsngear
You might check out the Joyo D-Seed delay, I think it ticks all your boxes, and is probably the simplest and least expensive delay with a tap tempo.

Thank you for your answer! I had considered that one, actually. I bought two joyo pedals in my life. One EQ that I use as a boost and is still in fine working order. The other was a compressor that sounded fine but that broke pretty quickly.

I'm sure that delay you posted sounds very good. But my delay already takes up a huge part of my sound and I'm hoping for it to take even more with a tap tempo.

My point is that I don't mind if my EQ pedal breaks when I'm doing a gig. I'll be able to tweak everything else a bit and there you go. However breaking my delay pedal would be a bit of a show stopper so I need ruggedness.

That being said, I really like Joyo. I think they have a huge place in today's world. However, that place is pretty much a cheap way to get good sounds at the cost of reliability and/or quality control.

If I ever want to play around with an effect that I'm not too sure I'll like, I'll automatically go for Joyo. When I'm convinced I like the effect, I'll switch to something else.
So in true UG fashion, I completely disregarded the advice of everyone in this thread and got something else instead, haha.

I went to a store that had the EHX and the Wampler. Tried both out and preferred the wampler. Actually they both sounded very good but I got more of a kick out of the fake tape switch on the Wampler than I did the delay splitter on the EHX.

Not only that but the store had a Wampler floor model that was in perfect condition but had been used a bit. So he let it go for 240$ Canadian taxes included. That’s about 195USD.

There’s only one thing I don’t like is that I get a bit of hiss on the longer delay times. But it’s really not bad! When I record, I usually use a VST anyways and live it's nowhere near loud enough to be noticeable

So since this basically just a good sounding delay, there isn’t all that much I can review on it. It sounds very good, very warm. I like the decay you find on long repeats. I can see how some people might hate it since it dirties up the sound but I think it’s great.

The fake tape echo is pretty good but becomes absolutely unusable past the half way mark. It’s just (seemingly) random noises. However, when you keep the knobs at around ¼ to 1/2, you get a beautiful chimey sound that really adds a lot of depth to your sound. You can also use it as a chorus-y/phase-y pedal by turning up the tape emulation but turning down the repeats to nothing

The tone knob is pretty useless. It doesn’t NOT work but the difference in brightness/darkness it puts on your sound is pretty negligeable.

Also it’s pretty stupid to still have to unscrew the backpanel to get to the battery. Come on, even joyo has little trapdoors! However I run off a powersupply so it has no bearing on my situation.

I don’t know if this is applicable to all delays but I love that you can tap the tempo as the pedal is off

This is a clip I recorded. PRS clone, shure beta 58a, fender silverface vibrochamp into a Tascam US2000. No effects but I took out a bit of bass with an EQ to get rid of a bit of oomph.

The first part is with the delay and a bit of tape delay sim. The second part is using it as a chorus-y pedal by bringing up the tape sim but bringing down the delay and repeats to almost nothing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8P7nRg7sUljYXlDLTE3ajBNRFE/view?usp=sharing

I'm going to be using the pedal a whole lot
Last edited by flexiblemile at May 23, 2015,
well at least you bought something good instead of the usual cheap piece of crap that leaves you whining "why didn't i listen to them"

analog delays get kinda crappy sounding at the far end of their delay time. tape echoes had issues like that as well. when trying to duplicate the tape echo sound what you mentioned tends to happen.

enjoy