So I've got a Peavey Valveking 20w micro head in my store right now. I'm still waiting on some cabs that haven't come in yet, and in the mean time, in case somebody wants to try this thing, the only cab I have to plug it into is a Line 6 Stereo 4x12. Thing is, the VK has an impedance switch that goes either 16 or 8 ohms. The Line 6 cab is 8 ohms per side for stereo, or 4 ohms into one input for mono. Now, I'm pretty sure that you don't want to plug an amp into a cab with a lower impedance rating, so I don't want to plug into the 4 ohm mono jack on the Line 6 cab. Can I just plug it into the other side, and only use one side of the cab, at 8 ohms? And to do that, do I need to plug an empty cable into the other input on the cab, to make it think it's running stereo, or will it work by just plugging the amp into the input that's not labled for mono?
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Last edited by the_bi99man at May 11, 2015,
Quote by the_bi99man
So I've got a Peavey Valveking 20w micro head in my store right now. I'm still waiting on some cabs that haven't come in yet, and in the mean time, in case somebody wants to try this thing, the only cab I have to plug it into is a Line 6 Stereo 4x12. Thing is, the VK has an impedance switch that goes either 16 or 8 ohms. The Line 6 cab is 8 ohms per side for stereo, or 4 ohms into one input for mono. Now, I'm pretty sure that you don't want to plug an amp into a cab with a lower impedance rating, so I don't want to plug into the 4 ohm mono jack on the Line 6 cab. Can I just plug it into the other side, and only use one side of the cab, at 8 ohms? And to do that, do I need to plug an empty cable into the other input on the cab, to make it think it's running stereo, or will it work by just plugging the amp into the input that's not labled for mono?

Yes.

Yes.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Awesome. That's what I thought. Thanks a bunch.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Tube amps don't like lower impedance, so you're right, plugging into 4 ohms wouldn't be a good idea.

To test for sure what the other way would do, plug a guitar cable into one stereo jack, and a bare jack into the other and measure either with a multimeter. That will tell you what impedance it is for sure. I've never seen a speaker that registers exactly what it says on the label, the 4 ohm Gorilla speaker in my Champ is about as close as they get, 4.2 ohms. The 8 ohm speakers in my Kustom 2x12 are around 7 - 7.5 ohms each if I remember correctly.

You can also plug a guitar cable into just one stereo jack, leave the other one open and measure the cable, that will tell you what it does with just one plugged in.

So you'll get a slight mismatch most of the time, but not enough to worry about. If it's only 7.5 ohms, carry on. I've seen 8 ohm speakers range from 7 to 9 ohms. As long as it's in that general range, you should have no worries. If it's more like 16 ohms...something is not right, but then again, 16 ohms won't hurt an 8 ohm amp. It just makes it work a little harder. An 8 ohm amp running a 4 ohm load is not good, it can fry a transformer.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at May 12, 2015,