Hey all,

I have a Jackson RR1 with Dunlop Flush-mount Straplocks at the minute, but after having a different Dunlop set fail on me on a different guitar, as well as just personally finding Schaller locks better for me, I'm looking to switch my guitars over to Schallers as much as I can. The only guitar I'm hesitant to do anything with is the RR1, just because the current straplocks are flush-mount and take up a lot more space in the body of the guitar.

I'm sure I could take the flush-mounts out and fill the gap with some kind of wood plug or something to attach a new Schaller to and hopefully the washer would cover the work, but I'm a MAJOR stickler for appearances, and even something as tiny as the paint around the straplock not being perfect really bothers me. I know it's petty, but I like my gear to be as mint as humanly possible.

So, I suppose my question to you knowledgeable people is this: is it possible to convert a Dunlop Flush-mount equipped guitar to take Schaller straplocks and have the work not be noticeable?

Thanks for any help guys
A question like this is probably better suited to going in Guitar Building & Customising, not saying that it being here is necessarily wrong, I just reckon that the people there will be more likely to be able to give you good answers!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The recessed style Duncans would have to be pulled and the hole plugged if you want to use Schallers. The plugs will probably be noticeable unless you do a great job of matching the finish.

If your locks on the RR haven't failed yet, then I wouldn't bother replacing them. Especially if appearance is very important to you.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
That's a mod I wouldn't attempt on such an expensive guitar. (Even if I wasn't a perfectionist.)

Schallers wear too, by the way. I would seriously not recommend for any guitar that has the pins at an angle (Les Paul and similar) - they wear heavily when you get any kind of friction on the pin. And with the RR, you will get that big pin aimed at your body - not exactly ideal comfort, is it?
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Fair enough, thanks for stopping me from trying something potentially stupid!
The only way I've ever seen a Dunlop fail is if you don't click the lock all the way in. When they get older you need to spray some lube on them or you can experience it pulling out.

I use Dunlop and Schaller with no issues and the strap locks are well over 10yrs old
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have never seen a Dunlop fail for any reason other than user error. Keep the things clean and give a quick tug on each end once inserted. That style of attachment is used in many industries and shouldn't be a concern.