Greetings gearheads. Maybe someone here can help me.
I have an egnater tweaker 15 and was wondering how to get a good chunky metal distortion out of it (think old school metallica and anthrax). I have had a couple distortion pedals, but they haven't sounded just right.
The tweaker has some good gain, and I like it for a lot of sounds. This one is getting away from me.
What I have not tried is a really good overdrive pedal, since I am a fan of the amp, but want a little more out of it.
I did a little research, and was pointed to the MXR badass custom overdrive.
Is this the key? Am I not giving enough info?
Thanks
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
i'd look for a tubescreamer style overdrive. you probably won't need a ton of gain and will most likely use the pedal for a boost (volume on 10, gain on maybe 2 and tone to taste).
Many ways to skin this particular cat...

I love the Zenman by Budda - overdrive and a boost, will proabbly give you a lot of options. On the cheap, try a Marshall Jackhammer or Guvnor used, boss SD-1 new. One of the Joyo tubescreamer clones would do as well...maybe just even a clean boost from eq or a booster.

A Rat could also give you some interesting options.
That's 2 for the jackhammer. Maybe I will grab one. I was looking and they are pretty damn cheap.
Cheap enough to grab a tubescreamer clone, too.
F@cking pedals. I'm going to need a bigger board.
Last edited by ryanbwags at May 11, 2015,
Check out the MI Audio Crunch Box too. I don't know about 80's Metallica, not my cup of tea, it is very ACDC-ish at bout half gain but goes to crunchy, crushing distortion beyond and has a very distinctly Marshall flavor to it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
UPDATE: I remembered that I had a Danelectro FAB Tone OD in my closet somewhere (I know, leave me alone. It was hella cheap) plugged it in and set for low gain with cranked volume. I think you guys are dead on. Now, I'm going to go search up a good tubescreamer clone. Jackhammer is a little rare right now.
Quote by ryanbwags
UPDATE: I remembered that I had a Danelectro FAB Tone OD in my closet somewhere (I know, leave me alone. It was hella cheap) plugged it in and set for low gain with cranked volume. I think you guys are dead on. Now, I'm going to go search up a good tubescreamer clone. Jackhammer is a little rare right now.

Digitech Hardwire Cm-2. not rare and really good.
Quote by monwobobbo
Digitech Hardwire Cm-2. not rare and really good.

Thanks for the tip!
Quote by ryanbwags
Thanks for the tip!

no problem, it's been my go to overdrive for metal for a couple of years now. very versatile overdrive.
I always vouch for Fulltone Full-Drives. 2, Mosfet, or 3 are all great. I forget about the Seymour Duncan 805, though. Very transparent tubescreamer pedal with EQ knobs, but super flexible.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band