Hi guys, I'm trying to learn the technique whereby you slap the bass strings while simultaneously strumming the top 3 strings with the top of the nails. Further to this you can advance it whereby you are only strumming one string - but that requires a lot accuracy.

The trouble is I'm having a hard time strumming the strings at a good velocity. I tend to end up strumming too hard which makes the notes I play, during the slap, sound too loud and obnoxious. Or I miss the stings completely.

On top of that I've seen two different techniques. One is to slap with the palm just above the wrist, and the other is to slap with the side of the thumb. I can get a better strum sound out of the palm slap technique, but the thumb slap technique feels like it would eventually be more accurate as well as giving a better slap percussion sound.

This is on acoustic by the way.

Is it just one of those things you have to practice for a long time and do what best suits you? Any advice? How long did it take you to master it? I've been at it for about 4 days now. Usually after a few hours I can get at least a feel for a technique, but this I'm struggling with.
Last edited by gweddle.nz at May 11, 2015,
This is definitely one of the techniques I struggled with the most. Fingerstyle isn't anything easy honestly. It takes a lot of finger independence between all of the fingers on your right hand. To get a good general feel for this percussive finger style technique it took me a good week.

All in all don't expect to perfect it within the first four days because you're still working out the kinks. It's a trial, and error type of situation; it takes a while to really get down to the root of the problem so just keep experimenting. I must say though that this technique was a real hard one to get down, but it just makes your fingerstyle guitar playing much more amazing.

I'll post a video explaining the technique because it's a hard technique to really explain how to do right through text.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8_ldh4lJk8

^ Video
Last edited by Black_devils at May 11, 2015,
Thanks Black,

I will certainly check that video when I get home. I did find another one that as helped a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqcomT_erdM

After watching the above I was able to at least start getting the thumb and strum action. Now I can actually get a good sound, so while I'm miles off perfecting it, I can at least see the potential now - which is all I was after. Before I just didn't feel like I was doing it at all right.

Now I just have to perfect that and then single string strumming while slapping.

Agree it's the hardest technique I've had to learn to date, but it's gonna be wikkid when I've got it down pat. I find anything that requires, and thus trains, accuracy of the right hand is a good thing.
Just an update. 1 week later and this technique is starting to settle in. Definitely not an easy one, very hard to explain the motion. If anyone else is learning this, seriously, it's just practice. The video in my previous post is good enough in explaining the basics but otherwise just keep at it, and it will come.
Quote by gweddle.nz
Just an update. 1 week later and this technique is starting to settle in. Definitely not an easy one, very hard to explain the motion. If anyone else is learning this, seriously, it's just practice. The video in my previous post is good enough in explaining the basics but otherwise just keep at it, and it will come.

Great to hear there's no secret method, but to keep practicing.

For sure, still a way off before it becomes 2nd nature but I'm immensely happy with where I'm heading. I think being able to have a bit of a beat within a song significantly improves the groove and my overall rhythm.

Hoping to get to a point eventually where I can add it it to almost any song without thinking about it too much.