Hello!

I am a beginner electric player and right now having a struggle of buying the best guitar for the least money (have about 80-90 quid to spend).

My two options are now Squer Standard HSS in mint condition for 70 quid (with a bag and strap) and Yahama 112 which is quite beaten bodywise, no sound affecting injuries but it has its marks, seller replaced original hum with Epiphone bridge hum as the original was broken, he can also include Warlord 4 way hum too, he's asking for a 60.

An image of Yamaha

So from reviews, I've heard that Yamaha is superior but in this particular case I am completely lost. Can someone with a bit of experience help me out here?

Thanks in advance!
They are about equal in quality. I'd go for the Squier if it is better shape and comes with goodies
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
They are about equal in quality. I'd go for the Squier if it is better shape and comes with goodies

agree.
I would favour Yamaha. No particularl reason, except I like them, I like finish on that one, and I don't mind a few battle scars. - They stop me getting ding anxiety.

Just as an aside, I was helping out at the local food festival a few weeks. One the performers was a graduate musician, who had had his own dance/jazz band. I'm not sure what you would call his style, kind of highly jazzified pop, clever stuff. He was playing a very beat up and mangled Yamaha 112, with the original hardware and electrics, through a Roland Cube. It ain't what you play, it's the way that you play it.
Last edited by Tony Done at May 11, 2015,
Go for the Yamaha, it's already relic'd

I had a Yamaha Pacifica 112V, great guitar... Solid guitar for the money.
Yamaha all day
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Both are really solid guitars for the money... Not sure I believe a Squier Standard Strat for £70 though... Are you certain it isn't an Affinity? People tend to sell the two interchangeably and, while the Affinity isn't a bad beginners' guitar, it's a price level below the Standard. If it is a Standard, then go for that one, but if it's an Affinity it'd be the Yamaha no question.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at May 12, 2015,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Both are really solid guitars for the money... Not sure I believe a Squier Standard Strat for £70 though... Are you certain it isn't an Affinity? People tend to sell the two interchangeably and, while the Affinity isn't a bad beginners' guitar, it's a price level below the Standard. If it is a Standard, then go for that one, but if it's an Affinity it'd be the Yamaha no question.

Completely sure. It's purple with a vintage creamy looking pickguard. Says Standard on the headstock
Yamaha.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Also Squier is literally 2 streets away from me whilst Yamaha needs to be posted.
8-Ball says: All indications point to the...

Squier.

If only because you have no idea what OTHER ills lurk on that sucker.
Paying mailing only to find there are more issues *and* it's already beaten up and obviously not well cared-for? Not something I'd tackle as a beginner.
Take along someone who really knows guitars, if you can.
Quote by dspellman
8-Ball says: All indications point to the...

Squier.

If only because you have no idea what OTHER ills lurk on that sucker.
Paying mailing only to find there are more issues *and* it's already beaten up and obviously not well cared-for? Not something I'd tackle as a beginner.
Take along someone who really knows guitars, if you can.

I've tried out Squier myself but the guy selling Yamaha is a respected dude from another guitar forum. I'm thinking if I can lower Yamaha price to 50 I'll go for it but if not - Squier it is.
Quote by LaMaestro
I've tried out Squier myself but the guy selling Yamaha is a respected dude from another guitar forum. I'm thinking if I can lower Yamaha price to 50 I'll go for it but if not - Squier it is.

if you tried it and liked it then get the Squier. i'll always take a guitar that i've played over one i haven't (unless the other was a spectacular deal or super rare).