Page 1 of 2
I need a different amp. I'm considering running a Fender Hot Rod Series Blue Junior and a ProCo Rat or something similar. This band I am in is doing 90s alternative rock/grunge songs exclusively so I don't need to worry about brutal tone. Doing stuff like Seven Mary Three, Nirvana, Sublime, Blur, Eve 6, et cetera...

It needs to be light. I like that the Blues Jr is only 30 pounds, compared to the 67 pounds (iirc) the 6505+ is weighing me down.

I'd like to buy it new.

Budget is ~600 dollars for the amp and distortion pedal (if applicable).
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Buy a good trolley/dolly/handcart.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Buy a good trolley/dolly/handcart.

Not practical. When I say "lugging around", I mean getting it from my bedroom to the truck, and then from the truck to the garage (at the drummers house), then back from there into the truck, et cetera...

it isn't lugging it long distances, its lugging it short distances multiple times
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Quote by AcousticMirror
didn't you just buy an amp.

No; I was planning on buying a 4x12 cab from a co-worker but that ended up not falling through, if that is what you are thinking of?
Peavey 6505+ 112

I cut mine to a head (easy 20 mins work) and have a 112 at home (shefeild) and a 212 where we jam (V30s), as a head it's super easy!
Last edited by Tempoe at May 12, 2015,
Quote by BV-95
Not practical. When I say "lugging around", I mean getting it from my bedroom to the truck, and then from the truck to the garage (at the drummers house), then back from there into the truck, et cetera...

it isn't lugging it long distances, its lugging it short distances multiple times

And a trolley won't help that because? That's how I use mine. My amp's 90lb, I carry it nowhere. I load it onto the trolley and just wheel it around.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by BV-95

Ya that's why I almost never recommend combos and why they are so much cheaper then heads used...

no one actually wants to lug them around.

You can get a lighter combo but it's still going to suck and the fender isn't going to sound anything like your peavey even with a pedal in front.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
Ya that's why I almost never recommend combos and why they are so much cheaper then heads used...

no one actually wants to lug them around.

You can get a lighter combo but it's still going to suck and the fender isn't going to sound anything like your peavey even with a pedal in front.

I'm not trying to sound like my peavey, I'm not playing metal anymore. When we jam I actually use the rhythm channel with the crunch setting enabled and the pre-amp gain on 3.
Peavey 6505+ 112

Quote by Tempoe
^ stairs? That was my case...3 flights

Stairwalker

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Damn, you think that's difficult to lug around? I've been carrying my VK212 up and down flights of stairs for a few months now. It's br00tal. But I also understand, I completely hate it. Hence why I'm getting a head + cab.

Sounds like you could benefit from like a Peavey Classic or Valveking mini head or a Sovtek Mig 50 or some other cute head.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Last edited by nick.culliton at May 12, 2015,
Quote by BV-95
This band I am in is doing 90s alternative rock/grunge songs exclusively so I don't need to worry about brutal tone. Doing stuff like Seven Mary Three, Nirvana, Sublime, Blur, Eve 6, et cetera...

I'm not trying to get the sound of the 6505.

Getting a Fender amp to replace a Peavey doesn't make much sense, though. They're entirely different amps for entirely different purposes.
Peavey 6505+ 112

i second the head chopping idea. i have done it before with success. head in one hand and cab in the other.

i don't think i blues jr. will do what you want. you will maybe get $350 for your 6505+. and wouldn't want to play br00tz sometimes. a 6505+ works fine for alt rock.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What about the Peavey 6505 mini.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Quote by Guitar137335
What about the Peavey 6505 mini.

I'm considering this and also considering the chopping my combo in half lol
Peavey 6505+ 112

Quote by BV-95
I'm considering this and also considering the chopping my combo in half lol

chop it in half.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
chop it in half.

Do you figure it would be worth it to replace the stock speaker with an Emi Gov or V30 and use the other half of my combo as the 1x12 cab?
Peavey 6505+ 112

Quote by BV-95
Do you figure it would be worth it to replace the stock speaker with an Emi Gov or V30 and use the other half of my combo as the 1x12 cab?

i haven't ever owned an amp with a sheffield speaker (shitty one that peavey uses in everything), i have had both a VK and 6505+ head used with different cabs. saying this, i really like the v30 and k100 mix. i haven't played a governor though but celestion hasn't let me down . i would probably go warehouse speakers over eminence though.

i really recommend chopping it in half. its easy to do and easier to transport, and whenever you get to having a designated practice space, you can keep the chopped cab at home, and a cab at practice and just bring the head back and fourth.

i really don't think it makes sense to get rid of it. it will do alt rock fine, and you will lose your ass on selling and buying a new amp. i also don't think that the micro 6505 would be the best either, partially because of headroom, and partially because of price.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i haven't ever owned an amp with a sheffield speaker (shitty one that peavey uses in everything), i have had both a VK and 6505+ head used with different cabs. saying this, i really like the v30 and k100 mix. i haven't played a governor though but celestion hasn't let me down . i would probably go warehouse speakers over eminence though.

i really recommend chopping it in half. its easy to do and easier to transport, and whenever you get to having a designated practice space, you can keep the chopped cab at home, and a cab at practice and just bring the head back and fourth.

i really don't think it makes sense to get rid of it. it will do alt rock fine, and you will lose your ass on selling and buying a new amp. i also don't think that the micro 6505 would be the best either, partially because of headroom, and partially because of price.

Well what I meant was would my money be better spent on something like an Orange PPC112 or something like that that COMES with a V30 and is perhaps built a bit better than the 6505 combo, or just swapping the speaker and turning the bottom half of the combo into a separate 1x12 cab?
Peavey 6505+ 112

Quote by BV-95
Well what I meant was would my money be better spent on something like an Orange PPC112 or something like that that COMES with a V30 and is perhaps built a bit better than the 6505 combo, or just swapping the speaker and turning the bottom half of the combo into a separate 1x12 cab?

personally i would get the WGS here is a link for it at $69 new.

i, myself, wouldn't bother with a 1x12" i usually feel better about 2x12"s. you get better sound disbursement and most handle >100 watts, so you aren't limited. for example, if you have a PPC112 orange, it only handles 60 watts. what happens if you get a bigger amp?most likely you would want another cab.

food for thought.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I carry my 110 pound cab up and down the stairs. Eat your Wheaties.

However, I second the recommendation to turn it into a head, and make the 112 shell into a small cab. Two trips = easier than one heavy trip.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Pussy.

More seriously, just buy another amp. All this "chop and cut" nonsense is a waste of time and energy. If you like your current amp, buy another 1x12 version, change the speaker and leave it in your drummers garage. You should be able to manage that for less than half of your budget.

Or leave your current amp there and buy something for you at home.

Carrying stuff around is a PITA. It's marginally worth it if you're getting paid, and almost never worth it for screwing around.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at May 12, 2015,
If you want something much lighter, look into a Pod bean and a powered PA-type speaker. Something like the Carvin PM12A comes with a 400W amp, weighs in at around 30 lbs and can be one-handed into a venue without your arm becoming 2" longer and your scoliosis taking a hit. Have your girlfriend carry it. Not expensive; $279, I think, plus shipping. Add a used Pod X3 and you're set.

real musicians sacrifice anything (even their backs) for their tone
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i second the head chopping idea. i have done it before with success. head in one hand and cab in the other.
I presume TS would be leaving a cab at the jam place and another at house. But then you leave your gear up to someone else to make sure it doesn't get wr3cked.

You could also leave all your gear at the place and just get a smaller amp for your own house.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 12, 2015,
geez buy a a weight set and build some muscles . my Ultra 2x12 is pretty heavy but i lug it like a man when needed. Cathbard has a good idea and one i used in my band days. for a while i was using a Legend Rock and Roll 50 2x12. the cab is made of 3/4" solid oak. you wanna talk heavy that was heavy.
Quote by Will Lane
real musicians sacrifice anything (even their backs) for their tone

Guitarists have no idea.

I started with a Hammond B3 and a pair of custom-built 250W Leslies, plus a Fender Rhodes 88. Bass player would struggle in with a 150 8x12 and a 100 lb head. Pansy-ass guitarist would come in whining about a 65-lb amp and the singer would walk in and point at where he wanted his monitors placed by the PA crew.

I stood there mumbling, "Money for nuthin' and their chicks for free" and the next thing I know it's a song.

Eventually you become the guy that puts wheels on anything heavier than a ham sandwich.
Last edited by dspellman at May 12, 2015,
Guys, removalists manage with far heavier objects. How? They use ****ing trolleys. Why are you guys carrying heavy amps? Are you more stoopid than a furniture monkey? Buy a friggin trolley.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup
personally i would get the WGS here is a link for it at $69 new.

i, myself, wouldn't bother with a 1x12" i usually feel better about 2x12"s. you get better sound disbursement and most handle >100 watts, so you aren't limited. for example, if you have a PPC112 orange, it only handles 60 watts. what happens if you get a bigger amp?most likely you would want another cab.

food for thought.

I can get the v30 for just a little bit more than this haha I work at GC
Peavey 6505+ 112

I'm pretty strong and I personally don't think I'd want to lug around a 6505 212 combo.

Oh wait - this is the 112 combo? Oh well. Never mind.

Seriously though, is the $600 budget include selling the 6505+112. Where abouts are you again?

(yes I own a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 and it has good tone and very transportable FYI)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'm pretty strong and I personally don't think I'd want to lug around a 6505 212 combo.

Oh wait - this is the 112 combo? Oh well. Never mind.

Seriously though, is the $600 budget include selling the 6505+112. Where abouts are you again?

(yes I own a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 and it has good tone and very transportable FYI)

Yeah it would include selling the 6505 ideally but I'm strongly considering keeping it now.

I'm in Michigan, but that doesn't really matter because I don't want to buy used.
Peavey 6505+ 112

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
why no used?

Lack of manufacturer warranty and I am able to get things new for close to the price of used if not lower most of the time.
Peavey 6505+ 112

Just sayin.

You could buy a used Peavey Vypyr 60 and a used Peavey Classic 30 for that money.

Or the Vypyr and a decent 212 extension cabinet. I plug my Vypyr into my Splawn 212 cab. Kills.

All of my amps I bought used and have never ever once needed a warranty or regretted my decision.
Maybe leave the amp where you jam and buy a cheap practice amp for home?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Actually I might re-consider and go used. I just saw a used vypyr tube 120 head for $200...

I think I need to sit on this and think some more before I get too hasty. I'm not sure I even know what I want at this point
Peavey 6505+ 112

Last edited by BV-95 at May 13, 2015,
Page 1 of 2