Just picked up a 6505 combo and love the sound I'm getting, especially with drop tunings.

I have been using it for band practice and what I've noticed is that its not cutting through very well, especially for lead playing. I have previously been using a Fender Blues Deville 212 which uses 2x6L6GC like the peavey and is also 60W. I have been using a distortion pedal when needed on the Fender and I found that it could be heard well over the drums (we practice in a small room).

I was expecting the 6505 112 to be louder and cut through more clearly, but I guess im used to using a 212 with high sensitivity speaker.

I know the stock 6505 Sheffield speaker is said to be crap, but I'm wondering whether to get an extension cab (maybe a Harley Benton 212 with V30s) and possibly do the head conversion later or just swap the Sheffield for a different speaker and be done with it?

lodgi
You can do any of the actions you've just mentioned regarding what to do with the cabinet and get a good result.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I used to just disconnect my 6505 212 speakers and run into a mesa 4x12, can't you just do the same thing with the 112 combo?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
The result of both ideas will be good, it really only depends on your preference.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
If your only problem is sound dispersion, try simply putting your amp on a chair, a table, milk crates or whatever. Maybe it won't work to your liking but it's a cheap and easy fix. If, as you say, you're happy with the sound, it might save you a good amount of $$$ that you can spend on other stuff
Quote by Leather Sleeves
Maybe you're dialing in too much gain and/or bass. Try cranking the high and presence and cutting back the gain. Also, elevating the amp is a good idea. You could also try putting it in a corner.

This. Some of the controls only really have significant effects on the signal when they're turned up or down by either extreme. Its only until you turn the presence knob up to 8 that it really begins having a huge effect on your tone. Its the same thing with the midrange. At 0-3 the amount of midrange the amp has changes drastically compared to anything past that. It makes adjusting the amp a pain in the ass as such miniscule adjustments can have such huge effects. I wish they used log pots instead of linear.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 12, 2015,
THanks for the advice people. I don't think I'm dialling too much gain, I was trying the pre around 4-5 on Sunday with the crunch button in and out depending on song (out was clearer but still not as much as id like), and as for the bass I normally have it around 4 when practising with our bassist so as to leave him space for his sound. I have so far left the presence and resonance at 12 o clock but ill have a fiddle with them on the weekend when I jam again.

I realise that either option (seperate cab or in built speaker changed to a V30 or whatever) will be an imporvement but im really trying to gauge if I would be happy with a speaker change, or will I feel some what let down by the 1x12 forever after using a 2x12 in the past?

Does anyone have any experience of playing these amps with a band and finding they dont cut through, and what were your solutions?

lodgi
I've never played a 6505 myself, but I've used other Peaveys and I think they have similar voicings. It doesn't sound to me like, in your situation, having different speakers would help much. Part of it could be that the room you're in is too small and/or resonant, but it's probably mostly the way the amp's dialed in or its voicing.

Next time you guys practice, try this: Lead channel, pre-gain:5, presence:10, resonance:0, bass:0, treble:10, mid:5. Crank the post gain, if that isn't enough, try turning the mid all the way up, if that doesn't work, try the mid all the way down.

If none of that works, try different amp placements (elevated, in the corner, behind the drummist, etc).

If you're still not cutting through you might need to resort to pedals, Eq pedals, or ODs/distortions. There's a guy in a local band here who rocks a 6505 but uses a DS-1 for a more vintage sound. Why he uses a 6505 for a vintage tone, I don't know, but the 6505 is a modern voiced amp. Often, modern amps have trouble cutting through without help from pedals or front-of-house equipment.

Anyway, I know I sort of didn't answer your question, but I hope that helps.
Get the amp up off the floor. That's most of the problem.

The Sheffield, while being a less than stellar speaker, shouldn't have trouble cutting through a mix. It is a LOUD amp with plenty of mids even when set to "2-3". Don't run any knobs at zero though. That's silly.

A new speaker like a V 30 or Governor is not only louder, but they will have more upper mids which will also help your problem. Throw a Tubescreamer or other overdrive up front and that will also help.

But -- I maintain that even in bone-stock form it should cut through a mix. But naturally, a bigger cab will sound fuller/bigger and disperse the sound better.
1. V30 speaker swap
2. slight mid boost
3. ???
4. Sign a record deal!

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
sounds like you need a tubescreamer and/or EQ.

i would probably go the route of getting a cab for it. the harley benton cabs are so cheap, it would be hard not to get one. i would do that. keep the cab at practice and bring the combo back and fourth.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Right, thanks for the replies. Will try to get the thing off the floor. Will probably get the Harley Benton cab at some point, then I can either use it as an extention or a stand alone cab if I do the combo to head mod.

Just a side question in relation to trashedlostfdup's comment and the general comment that a lot of people make about boosting a distorted amp with a clean boost:

What is the difference in clean boosting into a distorted amp and simply turning up the pre amp?
With a boost, you are hitting the amp harder on the first gain stage harder and tightening the tone a bit. Especially with tubescreamers as they pop up the mids and cut back on the bass a tad.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by lodgi
Right, thanks for the replies. Will try to get the thing off the floor. Will probably get the Harley Benton cab at some point, then I can either use it as an extention or a stand alone cab if I do the combo to head mod.

Just a side question in relation to trashedlostfdup's comment and the general comment that a lot of people make about boosting a distorted amp with a clean boost:

What is the difference in clean boosting into a distorted amp and simply turning up the pre amp?

**You don't have to do the head mod to connect it to another cab; that just makes it more convenient. All you really have to do is disconnect the onboard speaker, plug it into another cab and make sure the Ohms setting matches the cab you're using. You could even use the onboard speaker and another 112 standalone cab together if you set the impedance properly according to what speakers you're using.

As for boosting the amp, what Trashedlostfdup said was right on the money. Typically, when you boost the front end of the preamp, you turn your preamp gain down, otherwise it's just too much gain. Where I might set my gain to "5-6" without a boost, I'd set it to around "3-4" when using a boost. I really never use my 6505+ unboosted though. For me, it's more about the response to playing than anything else, including tone.

With the boost up front, it focuses your sound and makes the amp track the intricacies of your palm-muting much more quickly and precisely. But it also adds some "grind" to the tone and brings out pinch harmonics. Without the boost, the amp may actually sound bigger/bassier, but overall just doesn't sound as good for the types of metal I play. If I played sludge or stoner metal, I might actually prefer it unboosted.
Interesting stuff kalim. Isn't the same result gotten by setting more gain on the pre amp, cutting the bass and boosting the mids on the amp?
^^Nope. Because the tone shaping is happening at a different step in the chain. By doing what you're describing, it will indeed tighten up the response from the bass reduction, but adding more gain can muddy things up if it gets too high. It still won't sound as focused as it will when boosting with a pedal.

One other thing that should be mentioned is that boosting an amp becomes less necessary at higher volumes. However, I always run mine boosted regardless of volume, but it helps the most at lower volumes.
Ok I'll keep using the bad monkey up front with volume up and gain on zero.
I've been running my 1x12 in front of me like a wedge with a mic on it. That's just an RM20 with a V30 in it. The band can hear me really well, as can I, but none of it goes to FoH so the sound guys are happier too. Throw a V30 into it and give it a try.
And yeah, overdrives and EQ's are your friend.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification