Kind of related to the other thread. OP posted a crowdfunding link where the family was trying to save their cat and he/she/they weren't a fan, whereas almost everyone else early on was supportive of it.

Then you have lots of bands crowdfunding their upcoming albums (Protest The Hero comes to mind)

And then you have people on Facebook trying to get money to pay for their DUI conviction

As some examples.

So, I'm curious. What, for you, constitutes "good" crowdfunding and "bad" crowdfunding?

EDIT: For clarity, the examples are things that people have called "bad" crowd funding. I liked the PtH crowdfunding, I hate Megadeth's and I hate the DUI one.
Last edited by Shotgunmerc at May 13, 2015,
people who are dishonest about what they're doing

that's all, if someone wants to give someone else money so they can buy a rock or something, then awesome. Hope they enjoy the rock
I draw the line @ personal things for people. I only crowd-fund products.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
If it's something I think is stupid then it's bad. If I think it's nice then it's good.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
If it's something I think is stupid then it's bad. If I think it's nice then it's good.

was gonna virtually say this word for word.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
I don't.

People can, and should, support what they want to.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I personally don't dig anything that doesn't have a community return. Not that it's not worthy of people's money, but I just wouldn't put anything into it. Trying to fund a program, invention or organization start up are things that I would put cash down on, because I'd see a return on my investment.

That cat thing is sad, but in the end, it's throwing money into a pit; you never see it back. I'm a life-long pet owner. My dog is very dear to me, so I don't want to seem like I'm not sympathetic towards them. I just wouldn't put my money towards that sympathy.
Quote by JustRooster
I personally don't dig anything that doesn't have a community return. Not that it's not worthy of people's money, but I just wouldn't put anything into it. Trying to fund a program, invention or organization start up are things that I would put cash down on, because I'd see a return on my investment.

That cat thing is sad, but in the end, it's throwing money into a pit; you never see it back. I'm a life-long pet owner. My dog is very dear to me, so I don't want to seem like I'm not sympathetic towards them. I just wouldn't put my money towards that sympathy.

Totally 100 percent
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Commercial endeavours only for me. But the returns have to be realistic and fair.

£25 for an album/t shirt/other assorted little bits is great. A la:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/inmedawn

Plus shed loads of unreleased music, demos, acoustic renditions, online gigs...

Megadeth can f*ck off though. £22 for the CD on it's own?

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/megadeth

Robbery.
i haven't bought a "new" cd in years. I get them off amazon used, like £2-3 each, especially older stuff
Helping Koch brothers capture and rape a porpoise and leave it to die and rot thus killing 400 school children from cholera.

I wouldn't support that at all.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by ErikLensherr

ya

For me nice things would be saving people/animals/the environment/historic sites etc.

i wouldn't necessarily call everything else stupid but I'd feel like I was wasting my money if I did that.
cat
The only things I'll pay for on crowdfunding are people I know and trust or whose work I have seen and believe to be reputable. That shit is just too much of a con artist's wet dream otherwise; what's to stop me from making a Kickstarter asking for $5,000 for something I can do for $4,000, and pocketing an easy $1,000? It's my money now, you don't know what I'm doing with it, as long as I deliver a product resembling what I said I'd deliver, I'm free.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at May 12, 2015,
Quote by guitarxo
ya
For me nice things would be saving people/animals/the environment/historic sites etc.

*gag*
Quote by necrosis1193
The only things I'll pay for on crowdfunding are people I know and trust or whose work I have seen and believe to be reputable. That shit is just too much of a con artist's wet dream otherwise; what's to stop me from making a Kickstarter asking for $5,000 for something I can do for $4,000, and pocketing an easy $1,000? It's my money now, you don't know what I'm doing with it, as long as I deliver a product resembling what I said I'd deliver, I'm free.

You only pocketed ~$500 because kickstarter takes 5% off the top, plus transaction fees of 3-5%.
https://www.kickstarter.com/help/fees

But yes, scams abound I'm sure. How about funding this worthy cause?
http://www.gofundme.com/NewEnglandPatriots
Quote by black_box
You only pocketed ~$500 because kickstarter takes 5% off the top, plus transaction fees of 3-5%.
https://www.kickstarter.com/help/fees

The principal still applies though. What's to stop someone from saying they need X amount of money, when they really just need Y smaller amount, and pocketing the difference? How do donors know that's not happening? It's too easy a medium to exploit.

But yes, scams abound I'm sure. How about funding this worthy cause?
http://www.gofundme.com/NewEnglandPatriots

I don't know what's more depressing, the fact someone started a campaign to help a multibillionaire pay a fine that's chump change to him, or the fact that in about one day, almost a thousand people have donated over twelve grand to it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by Bladez22
people who are dishonest about what they're doing

that's all, if someone wants to give someone else money so they can buy a rock or something, then awesome. Hope they enjoy the rock

I really hope they don't.

Keeping a rock is a much larger responsibility than most people realise. Besides, it just seems immoral to keep a rock in captivity. They are beautiful creatures that belong in the wild with their families!
Quote by Baby Joel
was gonna virtually say this word for word.

everything we say here is virtual
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by necrosis1193
The principal still applies though. What's to stop someone from saying they need X amount of money, when they really just need Y smaller amount, and pocketing the difference? How do donors know that's not happening? It's too easy a medium to exploit.
Maybe they aren't a charity and need to eat

I mean what's unreasonable about a profit
Quote by necrosis1193

I don't know what's more depressing, the fact someone started a campaign to help a multibillionaire pay a fine that's chump change to him, or the fact that in about one day, almost a thousand people have donated over twelve grand to it.

For obvious reasons, I wanted to avoid mentioning this one, but yes, this is also a thing

I'm going to look at it from a positive perspective.

If Robert Craft/someone from the Patriots organization had started this, I would have shit all over it for the exact reasons you mentioned: no one needs to help a multi-billionaire pay a fine that amounts to pocket change for him.

However, a fan started this one. If you want to look at it from the perspective of a fan/fanbase trying to show support, then okay, I can't argue with that idea.

Horribly misguided, yes, but then again a large chunk of NFL fans are horribly misguided in their support of their team, and as a result go over the top
I guess what it comes down to is that it sucks, but it's better than rioting or starting fights over your team, so
Protest The Hero's crowdfunding campaign was great. Well-established bands crowdfunding is fine. Fans are basically buying the album before it's made.

I seen one where a guy was trying to get enough money to train to become a pro wrestler. So shameless.

Also, trying to save your stupid cat.

EDIT: Pretty much what that guy posted about community return (except human illness, disabiltity, etc., and other humanitarian cases). So many people just ask for money becuase there's something they want for themselves and they can't afford it.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Last edited by guitarist41 at May 13, 2015,
Honestly the only crowdfunded things i've ever even looked at are videogame ones, the cat one that dickhead posted on here the other day, and one where a band I used to enjoy desperately needed a new van so they could continue to tour.

So I haven't really seen enough of them to say what makes certain ones bad and certain ones good.
I want to crowdfund so that I can become an Uber. That would be the trendiest bunch of bullshit since the Macarena.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

I wouldn't pay to save a stranger's cat. Maybe if it were my best friend's cat, I'd throw in a couple bucks to show my support, but that's because I care about my friend, not his cat.
I'm fine with it if it's for medical stuff because doctors or anything medical is ridiculously expensive. Also fine with it if you've been hit with a tragedy or something because tragedies are ridiculously expensive.
this house is bitchin