My question is for the semi-regular giggers (like more than 12 times a year). I'm asking only regular giggers because if you gig once a year, you'll be a lot more motivated to bring everything and the ******* sink, triple redundancy etc.

How screwed are you if various parts of your gear break? Of what do you have spares? What could you live without? What is a show stopper for you?

I'll go first:

If my guitar breaks, I have a spare

If a cable breaks I have a spare

If a tube pops, I have spares

If my amp completely breaks, I have a preamp pedal that I can use to plug my board into the PA but then I lose my amp as monitor and adding a big weight on the PA which or might not be able to take it.
Alternatively, our other guitarist play mostly acoustic but has a fender blues junior for some parts. So I could steal that and he goes to acoustic only (not a show stopper)

If my distortion pedal breaks, I'm sorta screwed. I can use said preamp pedal as a distortion but the sound is very different. Alternatively I can just put my VOX into overdrive and use the volume control on my guitar but this isn't ideal by any means.

If my delay pedal breaks, I'm losing the indefinable essence of my sound (lol) but I'm only screwed a little bit.

If my comp breaks, I don't have a spare but I don't care.

If my EQ breaks, I don't have a spare but I don't care.

If my wah breaks, I don't have a spare but I don't care.

If my power supply breaks, I am well and truly ****ed. I never thought about it before but I think I need to buy a spare of this.

What about you guys? Think about every piece of gear you gig with and tell me how screwed you are if it breaks at the start of a gig

EDIT: k i t c h e n is censored? English might be my second language but I'm pretty sure it's not a bad word?
Last edited by flexiblemile at May 12, 2015,
I've always had at least one minor problem at most gigs but never a catastrophic failure.

1. There's always a backup guitar (usually my FMT Tele) in the backline for both me and the other guitarist to use just in case.
2. I always have my cable/battery box side-stage. My wireless nearly died halfway through the set the one time I didn't
3. If my pedalboard goes down that'll suck but it's not a deal breaker.
4. If the Marshall goes down...lord help meh.
I* always carry 2 (or more guitars if I'm on tour)

I carry a back-up head just in case. I also carry a POD XT and FBV shortboard

I have a clip-on tuner just in case my pedal tuner/power supply goes south. I can live without pedals
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
when i gigged i always had spare tubes, chords and batteries. oh and of course strings. i rarely had a spare amp but made sure mine was properly maintained. as for guitars that kinda depended on which one(s) i needed for that gig and where the gig was. seedy dive bars i tended to just bring the cheaper stuff and maybe just one. i've never had a pedal crap out on me during a gig so i never really thought about bringing extras.
I always have a spare guitar and I always make sure there is a backup amp or else I take my GT-100 for that job. Pedals I can live without but I always make sure I have some type of OD backup.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I am screwed on literally all accounts if something goes wrong haha; don't have the $ for spare amp, guitar, pedals. I run too many cables to be able to check which one's dead. I use a Floyd rose so spare strings are pointless since re-stringing isn't time efficient. DOn't have spare tubes but that's a bit more do-able financially and time of replacing so I probably should.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at May 12, 2015,
I gig rarely but my live rig consists of everything in my sig. If the amp goes down I have the processor and vice versa. I'm not worried about the guitars.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I am screwed on literally all accounts if something goes wrong haha; don't have the $ for spare amp, guitar, pedals. I run too many cables to be able to check which one's dead. I use a Floyd rose so spare strings are pointless since re-stringing isn't time efficient. DOn't have spare tubes but that's a bit more do-able financially and time of replacing so I probably should.

when i used a floyd i always made sure there were extra wraps on the tuning keys. if string broke then unclamp let out string some insert back into bridge retune. only takes a couple of minutes and the string is already stretched (of course theis only works if string breaks at bridge wheich tey usually do.)
Quote by Tremolo Bum
I gig rarely but my live rig consists of everything in my sig. If the amp goes down I have the processor and vice versa. I'm not worried about the guitars.

You never break strings?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by monwobobbo
when i used a floyd i always made sure there were extra wraps on the tuning keys. if string broke then unclamp let out string some insert back into bridge retune. only takes a couple of minutes and the string is already stretched (of course theis only works if string breaks at bridge wheich tey usually do.)

Why haven't I thought of this before?

Edit
Quote by Cathbard
You never break strings?

Surprisingly, not when it matters. I broke a decent amount on my first Floyd when it was new though.

-Digitech RP1000
Last edited by Tremolo Bum at May 12, 2015,
Quote by flexiblemile

EDIT: k i t c h e n is censored? English might be my second language but I'm pretty sure it's not a bad word?

Yep. I asked a mod about that a couple years ago.

Apparently, UG got a rash of spam from a couple of remodeling companies specializing in that particular room of the house. In response, UG reset their profanity filter to catch that key word. Messed up their company name and their links.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by monwobobbo

I'll keep it in mind; been using 'em for a few years now, haven't had a string break yet, but still need to get the hang of some of the quirks
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
I haven't broken a string on stage while playing slide but I've broken so many on normal guitar that I still won't take a single guitar to a gig. How the **** can you not break strings? Hit the strings like a pussy maybe?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
How the **** can you not break strings? Hit the strings like a pussy maybe?

Not "like", "with". Definitely no string breakage that way.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Cathbard
I haven't broken a string on stage while playing slide but I've broken so many on normal guitar that I still won't take a single guitar to a gig. How the **** can you not break strings? Hit the strings like a pussy maybe?

Haha, like I said, I don't gig that much anymore (thanks engineering).
I always have both guitars with me when I do though and they're in the same tuning so if I do break one, it doesn't really matter. I play with thick strings in low tunings mostly.

I just like to switch guitars every so often to give the impression that I'm better than I actually am.

-Digitech RP1000
I mostly broke strings doing huge 3 fret bends, something that you just don't do on slide.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
I carry a back-up head just in case
Surely you jest. To every gig? That's seriously keen.

I'll always have some spare cables, batteries, and a second hardtail guitar to cover all tunings if my first throws a string. Amp and preamp cover each other against the unexpected. I'd be a bit jacked if my mfx crapped out tho.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
I play an extremely light gauge string set and I haven't broken a string in ages. Then again, I'm very light with the guitar. I also learned to string the guitar 'correctly' (proper length plus bends to 'lock' the string) which cut down on string breakage quite a bit. In fact, I haven't broken a string since switching to that method of stringing the guitar.

I'll still bring an extra guitar most times, but not if it's an open mic/open jam type thing.

Other than that, I have some extra tubes, picks, patch cables, strings + adjustment tools in my case. I haven't had to use them in years, but they're there just in case. I also keep an extra fuzz box in there.

I play out of a pretty simple rig for most gigs. Just fuzzbox, wah, octave fuzz, guitar, and amp for the most part. I'll bust out the a tremolo/univibe/leslie/tape echo every once in awhile, but I've gotten pretty lazy when it comes to carrying gear around. I'd rather use my guitar controls and a fuzzbox to get 90% of my sounds.
Quote by Cathbard
I mostly broke strings doing huge 3 fret bends, something that you just don't do on slide.
That'll teach you to show off. You were probably playing some horrid rock music. You wouldn't break strings if you were playing the best music there is, which is country.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I always take at least two guitars to each gig.

I also take my Jet City head, which if my main amp has a problem I can use the head with my main amp's speakers.

Several spare cables & strings just in case.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud

This is my board.
I could theoretically play any gig with any guitar and amp (as long as it had a clean channel) with the Meet Maude (Silver back left pedal).
Do I want to however?
**** no

I gig pretty frequently. I have no back up shit myself except for strings.
Quote by T7E

This is my board.
I could theoretically play any gig with any guitar and amp (as long as it had a clean channel) with the Meet Maude (Silver back left pedal).
Do I want to however?
**** no

I gig pretty frequently. I have no back up shit myself except for strings.

lol, how many reverbs and delays do you need?

cool rig, though
tah. I get asked that a bit. They are all kinda different and unique to be honest.
Reverb Machine is a deep springy verb that can self oscillate. Misty cave is a resonant filter with a delay line (I think). Afterneath is a multi-tap stuttery mess of weirdness. DD7 does reverse and tap divisions. Meet maude is always on modulated slap back. I stack various combinations of them all.
My band is 7 piece psych/soul. 2 guitars and 3 synths on stage at any given moment. I have a noisey textural role mostly.
I make experimental kinda noisey drone music by myself where they all get used also.

BUT ON TOPIC you point kinda validates itself and my post, in that if Push came to shove, I could get away with one modulated anaolg delay and nothing else haha It's really just various flavours of the same thing. Opposite ends of the flavour spectrum but yeah if a catastrophic failure occurred then I could get by with any guitar+clean amp and the meet maude. Probbaly the DD7 by itself too in a pinch. Or any modulated delay.
I take two guitars, if the amp breaks I can use the GT-100 direct to the PA. I also carry an extra cable and strings sometimes, I've only broken a string once though.

If my wah dies I can use the one on the Gt-100, if the Gt-100 dies I'm ****ed
I have at least two of everything.

And they're pretty much identical; that way I don't have to be thinking about NOT being able to stomp in the same place with my backup, or that my second guitar works differently from my first.

I've also simplified my rig. No more rats' nests of pedals and connectors with tons of single points of failure.
Quote by The Judist
You wouldn't break strings if you were playing the best music there is, which is country.

Better yet, no one would notice if you did.

Banjos only have four, and THEY get to play Cah-Hunt-Tree. after all.

Ditto fiddles.

Follow the Bouncing Badonkadonk.
Quote by dspellman
I have at least two of everything.

And they're pretty much identical; that way I don't have to be thinking about NOT being able to stomp in the same place with my backup, or that my second guitar works differently from my first.

I've also simplified my rig. No more rats' nests of pedals and connectors with tons of single points of failure.

Out of curiosity, what kind of rig do you have? I don't have the most complicated setup and I have a hard time imagining bringing two of everything to every gig.

How often do you gig?
Two amps, my JCM800 clone and my peavy clean amp.
If the JCM breaks, I have an A/B Hooked up at the end of the chain so I can switch amps straight away without any fumbling around.
2 Guitars
Extra instrument and speaker cables, patch cables, and power supply cables
A spare preamp tube, power tube, and fuses
Strings, though breaking a string on both guitars would be extremely unlucky
Quote by Tremolo Bum

Why haven't I thought of this before?

Edit

Surprisingly, not when it matters. I broke a decent amount on my first Floyd when it was new though.

used floyds for almost 25 years. you learn a trick or two along the way. i had to learn eveything by trial and error as i was like the first guy in town to get a guitar with one (early 80s). my tech had never seen one let alone worked on one .
Quote by flexiblemile
Out of curiosity, what kind of rig do you have? I don't have the most complicated setup and I have a hard time imagining bringing two of everything to every gig.

How often do you gig?

Mine's dirt easy, honestly.

Bar rig is a pair of Agile AL's (like an LP) with Floyds, a couple of Line 6 Pod XT Live, some cables, with everything going into the PA.

Theatah rig is a pair of Variax JTV-89Fs into a pair of HD500's via VDI (ethernet) cables. and off into the mixer.

Another project involves a pair of LPs with sustainers via wireless into backline modelers (not Pods this time). And off into the mixer.

When I need personal amplification for guitar or bass I have a pair of Greenboy fEARful 15/6/1's or fEARless F115's and a pair of 1500W Carvin power amps. Usually only use one power amp and one cabinet at a time. The F115s weigh in a bit over 40 lbs each, the power amps are around 9 lbs, and I don't know what the rack box they're in weighs.

For keyboards I use the F115s, a Korg Kronos X, an M-Audio keyboard, a mixer and the power amps. And, of course, into the PA as well.
oh ok, I understand more now. If everything is going to the PA, it's a lot simpler, indeed.

You don't miss the push of a real amp to reinforce the FOH or ever have a monitoring problem, though? When we do random bars in different towns, it's always difficult to gauge what kind of PA/monitors we're going to get so having a good set of speakers behind me to act as a monitor or an extra piece of PA is always useful
when I use to gig I carried my gig/rig box. it had strings. fuses, tubes, cables, etc in it. I brought 2 guitars along and a spare mic.
at the time I used various amps with a boss gt10 (4cm). so if the amp went down I could switch from pedal board mode over to amp sim mode and run to the front of the house.

I changed my rig to a simple 5150ii and individual pedals for about 6 months and carried a backup head.

now I run a clean/dirty dual amp rig with a line 6 m13 (for delay,mod,and a few other noises) and some individual pedals. so needless to say im covered for just about any disaster.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
I not only carry my guitar stuff but I own and operate the PA unless we are opening for another band or playing in a room with it's own PA system. We work often in two rooms that have their own decent PA system (but you still have to operate it which is the way I prefer it.) Normally I carry enough gear that I could either live without one or two pieces. For my PA I run four Mackie active main speakers so if one went down we could carry on fine (it hasn't happened but we could). I also carry a smaller version of my mixer that fits in a suitcase and stays in the van as a "just in case".

I carry two guitars of different types for different sounds and that varies depending on the gig. I will use either a VOX VT30 or VT40 (I own both) that I mic through the PA. I only take one amp to a gig and if necessary I could go to the PA directly and use a BOSS ME 50 that I have wrapped in bubble wrap at the bottom of the case with my microphone and guitar cords. The last item is a suitcase (with folding handle and wheels) full of various mics, tuners, adapters and odd cords. Other than that I could get through a gig without too much trouble. Two to three trips with my hand cart ( in the horizontal position) and I'm in the club. (Oh, last but certainly important to me, I try to never forget my fan.)
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at May 14, 2015,
Quote by flexiblemile
oh ok, I understand more now. If everything is going to the PA, it's a lot simpler, indeed.

You don't miss the push of a real amp to reinforce the FOH or ever have a monitoring problem, though? When we do random bars in different towns, it's always difficult to gauge what kind of PA/monitors we're going to get so having a good set of speakers behind me to act as a monitor or an extra piece of PA is always useful

Thus the information regarding the power amps and fEARless/fEARful speaker cabs.

The quick answer is that "reinforcing the FOH" usually involves two problem areas. One is stage volume (I'd rather keep it down so that I'm not getting a lot of clutter into the vocal mikes, and so that I can hear what's going on on the other side of the stage) and the other is phasing and time delay. The sound from your amp is coming out of its speaker at a different time (and distance from the audience) from that coming out of the PA, and that usually produces mud. The fEARless F115 speakers I have are just as comfortable in a stack facing the audience or sitting at a 45 angle working as monitors (preferred) facing me. Also worth noting is that they're full range cabs with a lot of power available to them, and they have speaker stand "tophats" built in, so they can also function as PA in a pinch.

15" LF (Eminence Kappalite 3015LF), 6" mids (either an 18 Sound or a Faital), 1" tweeter. A pair of these speakers will handle 1500W @ 4 ohm. Weighing at around 42 lbs each.