So, I was eating barbecue recently at this roadside BBQ Hangout, waiting to listen to some band that was playing that night. Hadnt heard of them, but I saw a Shobud steel, and some classic vintage amps, and the equipment they were loading made me think, maybe these guys know their stuff.

So as I was hanging out, and they are setting up they pipe music through the PA and I hear a song that is kind of cool, kind of catchy, has a laid back attitude, and just sounds "good". I grab my iPhone and Siri he name of it, and it's a band I never heard of and a song I never heard f, so I mentally file the name for the next time I decide I wanna Spotify a new band and fall down the musical rabbit hole, exploring their tracks.

So fast forward to the other night, I do just that, and as I play the song - Uncle Lucius - Liquor Store, I grab my guitar off the side of the bed and in 2 seconds...yes two seconds, I have the entire key, chord progression, and licks and am playing along to it.

And...that's when the moment went from "this is a cool song" to

"meh..."

It actually lost its shine because I figured it out that fast. It wasnt as "special". I initially listened to it munching BBQ and enjoying the cool Texas evening. It was grand, I wasnt trying to figure it out, I wasnt analyzing it, but as soon as I played it in 2 seconds, I didn't want to play it anymore.

Has this ever happened to any of you? Or is this just me? Has deconstructing a tune for you, ever made it lose it's initial shine?

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at May 12, 2015,
Nah. I've gotten tired of playing songs before, but not just because I knew how they went. In fact, for a while after learning how it's constructed, you might could experiment for a few plays to see what new you can come up with. c:

Generally if your musical ear is fairly developed, you can catch how songs are chordally structured without even picking up an instrument. Maybe you were just caught up in the atmosphere of the night (and bbq) and appreciated simplicity more than you often would.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 12, 2015,
I have not had this happen yet. I have, however, had tunes not seem as appealing when heard outside the context that I originally heard them.
Yeah, happens to me all the time. Sometimes I hear some nice tune that I can really get into, but once I figure out how to play it, it becomes far less appealing. It isn't even deconstructing the song, cause let's face it, most really catchy songs are based on progressions you can figure out without your instrument. To me it seems more like having actually played the thing makes it a bit "meh"...
Sometimes great tunes are very simple. That doesn't bother me.

I would, however, agree that there is a certain "mystique" that goes away once you've learned something.
Yeah but not as much since taking theory more seriously.
I purposely used to not figure some songs out for that very reason...
to avoid (postpone . ) the 'meh' moment.

Pentatonics have kinda been like that for me also.
(meaning not immediately obvious - eg: 2nd half of Midnight... Coldplay)

Have also experienced the opposite:
Eg: Jaco - Portrait of Tracy:
Pre: sounds like he's just noodling what ever...
Maybe that's why it's taking me forever to accept (hear) jazz?

Also there are some simple sounding songs that conceal some nice changes.
Islands In The Stream... Major chord changing to minor.

Anyway welcome to the club ha ha!!
It depends. But the way I listen to a song does change when I learn to play it. Learning to play a song takes some more thinking. You need to pay a lot more close attention to the details than when you are just listening to the song. I think it's sometimes good to just listen to a song without analyzing it at all. But yeah, many times when something sounds great, I want to figure out what's happening.

I don't know... It hasn't really ruined any song for me. But yeah, to be able to play the song, you need to know it really well. And when you know a song really well, it may kind of lose the "magic" it once had (but as I said, it depends).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I'm normally the opposite, when I learn to play a song I maybe wasn't too enamoured with I normally get a newfound appreciation for it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Sean0913
So, I was eating barbecue recently at this roadside BBQ Hangout, waiting to listen to some band that was playing that night. Hadnt heard of them, but I saw a Shobud steel, and some classic vintage amps, and the equipment they were loading made me think, maybe these guys know their stuff.

So as I was hanging out, and they are setting up they pipe music through the PA and I hear a song that is kind of cool, kind of catchy, has a laid back attitude, and just sounds "good". I grab my iPhone and Siri he name of it, and it's a band I never heard of and a song I never heard f, so I mentally file the name for the next time I decide I wanna Spotify a new band and fall down the musical rabbit hole, exploring their tracks.

So fast forward to the other night, I do just that, and as I play the song - Uncle Lucius - Liquor Store, I grab my guitar off the side of the bed and in 2 seconds...yes two seconds, I have the entire key, chord progression, and licks and am playing along to it.

And...that's when the moment went from "this is a cool song" to

"meh..."

It actually lost its shine because I figured it out that fast. It wasnt as "special". I initially listened to it munching BBQ and enjoying the cool Texas evening. It was grand, I wasnt trying to figure it out, I wasnt analyzing it, but as soon as I played it in 2 seconds, I didn't want to play it anymore.

Has this ever happened to any of you? Or is this just me? Has deconstructing a tune for you, ever made it lose it's initial shine?

Best,

Sean

Absolutely. I used to transcribe pop/rock songs alot, and after a while deconstructing them and writing down the guitar/bass parts made them uninteresting in a way. Same time though it's cool to see how all the parts work together independently.

I think hearing all the parts together and being able to appreciate the song for what it is artistically is a cool thing. It's almost magical when you don't try to intellectualize or dissect it and just experience it.

But then when you start to pick it apart and break it down, at first sometimes it's interesting, but go on long enough and it can kill the magic of it all, because you're like 'oh, that's not even a cool guitar part'.
I feel like it's more like... as a musician, you hear something that you don't know how to play. You think, "wow, I wish I could play that song/style/genre/etc". So then you figure it out, whether by ear or score or tab, and then... that's it. You know how to play it. So then you don't really care about it because then the next thing that you can't play and so the thing you can play seems boring in comparison. You always want what you can't have and you never want to do something more than you can't do it, you know?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
This happens to me all the time. I've wondered if the speakers have an impact on this.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X

Sure.

Anytime you take the mystery and/or novelty out of an aesthetic experience, that experience loses some of its emotional impact.

That's why you might feel like you're just going through the motions when you're playing a tune you've been playing for years while that same tune moves one of your listeners to tears.
"No one is a sorcerer every hour of the day. How could you live?" — Pablo Picasso
Last edited by Tonto Goldstien at May 14, 2015,
Hence the beauty of totally improvised music.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Not really. If I liked it initially, analyzing it most likely won't change that; at least I can't remember that ever happening.

It's not about complexity. There are a lot of I - IV - V based songs that I like, knowing that they are indeed 3 chord songs.

But sure, from a musician/composer's point of view, it's always fascinating to hear something that both sounds GOOD and you can't immediately figure it out in real time. Then it's time to analyze
I would assume it has more to do with context than learning how to play it. I love some things more now than I ever have, and I've been playing them for years. But I will say that I transcribe a lot of violon and piano music to guitar, and sometimes it so happens that the voice of the guitar, or the way I'm playing it just completely doesn't jive with my ears, even though I would love the piece when played on another instrument.