Hey,

I currently use a les paul studio, and i really like it. But i'm looking for something that sounds like a strat or a tele, but at the moment i don't have the budget to buy a fender (one day i'll buy one). Which guitars (a little cheaper ones) sound close to a strat/tele?
I'm looking for something different you know, everyone plays strats but i feel like i want to discover something more original, something different

edit: a bit more specifics

- i live in antwerp (belgium)
- i am willing to buy used guitars
- budget: up to about 400-500 euros
Last edited by Thomas_enzu at May 13, 2015,
Well, to help you, we at least need to know:

1) what your budget is
2) whether you're willing to buy used
3) whether you can/will shop online, or locally only. If the latter, we need to know where you live (in general, not your street address)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
look up a peavey horizon II. it can do just about anything. they are pretty cheap too.

its HSH with a switch for in/out of phase and off for the single coil a standard three way switch for the humbuckers, and when you turn the tone knob past 7 it coil taps the humbuckers. you can get strat, tele, and humbucker tones with one guitar. good cheap all around instrument. they were made in the USA in the early to mid 80's. killer guitars.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
nice, i'll look it up, thanks! and i've added some specifics. I have some good shops nearby, i don't know any good online shops in belgium so..
You can find a used Fender tele or strat for your budget. Also look at G&L guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
Do you want something which will do both strat and tele tones or just one or the other?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Thomas_enzu
Hey,

I currently use a les paul studio, and i really like it. But i'm looking for something that sounds like a strat or a tele, but at the moment i don't have the budget to buy a fender (one day i'll buy one). Which guitars (a little cheaper ones) sound close to a strat/tele?
I'm looking for something different you know, everyone plays strats but i feel like i want to discover something more original, something different

For that budget you can easilly afford a Strat or a Tele - just get a squier or a mexican model. There is absolutely no point in buying a low end copy of a strat or tele because Fender makes great electrics at the cheapest price points. Even the Squiers are playable.
Quote by Thomas_enzu
Which guitars (a little cheaper ones) sound close to a strat/tele?

Here's the thing: there are a LOT of guitars that look and sound like Strats and Teles- almost every major guitar maker except Gibson (and its subsidiaries) makes at least a single model reminiscent of one or the other, if not both.

If you can find them, check out guitars from G&L (Tribute), Godin, Fret-King (Blue or Black label), Dean Zelinsky Private Label, Fernandes/Burny. Quality will be comparable to (or better than) MiM Fenders, as will price. Each will offer some unique features.

The thing is, almost all of them will physically resemble a Tele or Strat. So if your quest for "something more original, something different" also includes a different VISUAL aesthetic, you'll have to look a bit harder, at some of the rarer models, and at smaller brands.

...which probably translates into spending a little more money.

My go-to brand on the road less traveled would be Reverend, a small company out of Detroit that makes their guitars in Korea. Quality is consistent and good. With their Bass Contour knob and Tone controls, they can cover a lot of sonic territory, many getting that tone you seek.

I'd think the Buckshot, Flatroc and Six Gun are probably your best bet for reaching those tones while also satisfying the desire for "something different" within your budget.

....if you can find them used, that is. New Reverends will cost @100-200 euros more than your stated budget.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

500 euro could get you a USA fender. But if you want to be different keep in mind same shape =/= same tone. For example G&L are different than fender in a lot of ways.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Have you thought about something like a Jaguar or a Jazzmaster? Totally different beasts, but they cover the same ground somewhat, in my opinion. Or maybe something with P90's, like an Eastwood? Or maybe a Danelectro, for a different vibe.

MiM Fenders are within your budget for sure, as mentioned. The Squier Classic Vibe series is wonderful as well.
Quote by reverb66
For that budget you can easilly afford a Strat or a Tele - just get a squier or a mexican model. There is absolutely no point in buying a low end copy of a strat or tele because Fender makes great electrics at the cheapest price points. Even the Squiers are playable.

To be fair, there are companies that make strats which exceed mexican strats at lower pricepoints. It's really about shopping around.
Wow guys, awesome suggestions!

I was actually thinking about something that didn't look like a strat/tele indeed!
I took a look at some of the brands you suggested (dannyalcatraz) and i was quite surprised by most of them, however some of them are not available in belgium that i know of.
Let's start watching reviews..
Check Thomann.

Godin has been making the Richmond Belmont in Canada for a few years now. It's a nice, retro-styled HSS that has an interesting blend of features. It can definitely roam a bit in Strat territory, and is definitely NOT a Stratclone. You may be able to find a used one in your price range.*

With a Bigsby tremolo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59itkizmZv8&sns=em

...and without:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAI0JUbO6Uo&sns=em

Well, since I posted links about the Godin Belmont, I figured I'd follow through similarly with the Reverends.

Reverend Buckshot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sLaT6VDWoE&sns=em

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reverend-Buckshot-Midnight-Black-Guitar-/181742224484?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a50ae4464

Reverend Six Gun
https://reverb.com/item/217258-reverend-six-gun-floor-model?_aid=pla&pla=1&gclid=CIvD3dj2wMUCFY0kgQodG10A0g#policies-tab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAQ0w4z3C8c&sns=em

Thoma Okaze seems to be the exclusive dealer for Reverend in Belgium. Their new prices are- as I suspected- over your budget's top end. However, they might be able to help you find a used one...
http://www.thomaokaze.com/Reverend%20guitars.htm

* this guy will ship internationally for a few extra bucks.
https://reverb.com/item/579067-godin-belmont#policies-tab

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 14, 2015,

Thoma Okaze is an absolute joke. I'd never buy from them even if it was my only option.