I'd like to add a sub into my music/movie/amplitube set up and have been considering doing the KRK 10" sub.

I was curious to know though if I could save some money and get something that will function just as well by getting something that is meant more for a home theater use.

I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to all of the wiring and whatnot so my question is this. I've seen that the majority of home theater subs do not have any cable inputs and just require you to wire them into the back. How can I go about running XLR from my speakers (KRK rokit) into a sub like this and/or is it worth doing?

also, off topic question but where could i go about finding a rack mount switch for speakers? Not sure exactly what its called but the same thing that you find at guitar center for demoing monitors and subs where you just flip the switch for the speakers you want on. I already run my speakers into a separate power conditioner that I can just turn on and off instead of turning them on individually
Um...Nah.

It's hooked up the other way around.

Hooking up the 10" KRK sub is a matter of running the right and left stereo outputs from your sound source to the 10" sub and then a second set of cables from there to KRK Rokits.

Check page 10 of the User Manual for the KRK sub.

There's a foot switch for the sub that will allow you to turn it on and off so that you can compare the Rokits by themselves to the Rokits plus Sub.

Did I misunderstand the first part of your question?
Quote by dspellman
Um...Nah.

It's hooked up the other way around.

Hooking up the 10" KRK sub is a matter of running the right and left stereo outputs from your sound source to the 10" sub and then a second set of cables from there to KRK Rokits.

Check page 10 of the User Manual for the KRK sub.

There's a foot switch for the sub that will allow you to turn it on and off so that you can compare the Rokits by themselves to the Rokits plus Sub.

Did I misunderstand the first part of your question?

I think you may have...

I'm aware of how i would connect the KRK sub to my rokits. The question was would it be possible to use a different sub that does not have any inputs such as XLR. Meaning that you need to attach a wire to the left and right as opposed to simply plugging a cable in.

Also, I know there is a footswitch for the KRK sub but I'd like to have the ability to flip through different sets of speakers and/or turn the sub on/off via the switching panel
Quote by andrerist
I think you may have...

I'm aware of how i would connect the KRK sub to my rokits. The question was would it be possible to use a different sub that does not have any inputs such as XLR. Meaning that you need to attach a wire to the left and right as opposed to simply plugging a cable in.

Also, I know there is a footswitch for the KRK sub but I'd like to have the ability to flip through different sets of speakers and/or turn the sub on/off via the switching panel

Different powered subs do different things (we ARE talking about that "different" sub having a built-in amplifier, right?). It's possible to have cables running solely to the Rokits and having a different cable (no "end", just bare wire) going to the sub's terminals. But without knowing specifically what you're planning (and how you plan to control its output relative to the Rokits) and what the sub is, there's no way to comment further.

As for the switching, you're looking for "monitor management" as keywords in your Google search. Here's an example: http://www.sweetwater.com/c417--Monitor_Management