Poll: Which amp should I choose?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which amp should I choose?
Jet City 20 Combo
9 69%
Peavey ValveKing 50 Combo
4 31%
Fender SuperChamp XD 15 Combo Hybrid
0 0%
Voters: 13.
Greetings everyone! I need your help!!

I live in Bangladesh and we have almost zero options when choosing the right gear. I am planning to buy a tube amp combo, (Yes this is my first time) after a lotta looking via Ebay/Craigslist/Amazon etc. I'm stuck deciding between a Jet City 20 Combo vs a Peavey ValveKing 50 combo vs Fender SuperChamp XD 15. The ValveKing is the one from the first generation (old design) and the Jet city is the one without the reverb but with 2 channels (so does Peavey). The Fender got a 10 inch speaker but the other two got 12 inchers. Fender got a few onboard effects, the others don't. Fender SuperChamp didn't really sound at all tubey to me.

I really can't play or try out either of the amps because I live in a different country and simply put, over here we have neither available.

I try to fiddle with a lot of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman, Tool, Blackberry Smoke, Led Zeppelin, Joe Bonamassa, Gary Moore, Buddy Guy etc. but I also love metal and classic rock, who doesn't.

I use pedals too. Mostly overdrives the Peavey comes with 6L6GC tubes while the Jet City comes with EL84. Fender got 6L6 as well. I'll mostly be using the amp at home but I can crank it up here since I live alone. peavey got texture control (A/AB) individual EQ control, and reverb. And Jet city is basically a straight forward classic rock amp. I'm sure you all know about them extensively.

So which one should I choose? Which one will last better and sounds better? All stock mind you! I simply don't have the cash to buy extra tubes or mods at this point. From a price point, the ValveKing is 50 bucks cheaper than the Jet City.

Please let me know your opinion. Much appreciated good folks!
Last edited by godsofchaos at May 13, 2015,
I have a VK and while I'm able to get some nice out of it, I think you'll have a better time with the Jet City as your first amp. This one? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/jet-city-amplification-jca2212c-20w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/h76847 If you buy the VK, you'll have to put a lot more than the $50 you save into the VK for a speaker swap and possibly new toobs. The Jet City has preamp/master controls for both channels, very useful for classic rock.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 14, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
The Jet City has preamp/master controls for both channels, very useful for achieving high gain distortion at low volume levels
FTFY.

Anyway TS, I'd get the jet city among these.
I though would much rather spend a bit more and get a JCA50.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I think either the VK or the JC will suit you fine, but from your given parameters I'd give a slight nod to the JC.

If you might want more clean channel headroom in the future, the VK would perhaps be better though.

The Superchamp XD is a competent little amp, but I don't think it will be as useful to you as the others.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Right. The VK doesn't have preamp/master for the clean channel, so you can't dial up some boostable crunch. The lead channel sounds muddy compared to the clean. I don't think the JC would have any problems with either channel used that way.
i find that VK to be teh better option myself. having seperate tone controls on each channel can be big in some circumstances. for bluesey type stuff i think the VK is great. for Hard Rock and Metal the JC may have the slight edge.

i play some of the stuff you mentioned and can get those tones (within reason) from the VK. the VK does benifit greatly from a speaker change and better tubes.
Thanks everyone for the replies! And thanks to the admin for moving this to the proper forum.
Problem is like I said, my budget is super tight lol. And the speakers and even the tubes are super expensive in my country. Getting the VK + new tubes + a speaker will set me back significantly.

Tried ebay and Craigslist for used Vks but they all have the stock stuff.
Should I take a Fender Blues Junior if I find a used one within the same price range of a Jet City 2212C combo? Is that amp loud enough? Assuming the speaker/tubes are stock can I get southern/classic/blues rock sounds outta it? I mean compared to the Jet City 2212C combo that is.
VK with a speaker swap if you want nice cleans, otherwise Jet City.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks a lot Will & Cathbard

Dunno if I will be that lucky finding a modded VK combo, I'll keep an eye out Hmm sounds like I've found a winner then in the form of Jet City for now

Anyone wanna recommend any other amp combo at this range? (300 bucks) Used or new. I know, the bar is set too low still...
Man go absolutly for the Peavey one!!! 50w tube...is all good!! And great versatillity!
Jet City by far unless you need pristine cleans. The overdrive is loads better IMO after owning both. The Valveking was a good amp, but the OD wasn't in the same league as the JCA
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Yeah that's what I hear as well. That the peavey is more versatile and the jet city is a better amp all told lol. Plus it weighs less than the peavey one.
Hey everyone. Sorry to bring this up again. But against a Bugera V22, how does the Jet City JCA2212C combo holds up??
Thanks Will! being in the same price range of the Jet City 2212C and after seeing a video comparison between JCA20 (not JCA22) and Bugera V22 I was kinda dumbstruck because it blew the Jet City away. But people did mention that the JCA22 is a step up sonically and feature wise from the JCA20. Just wanted a second affirmation lol. Thanks again.
You can't trust most vids, esp if they are pushing a barrow. Dial one in well and the other in badly and you can show just about any bs. The JCA's are built much better and most importantly, they aren't built by Behringer. The V22 is one of their better amps - but it's still a ****ing Behrringer at the end of the day.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Lol... True that. Honestly, I've never tried any behringer products lol. So all I know are from online sources so this makes it double difficult for me to verify anything on YouTube. So I just come up here and ask you lot since chances are you've had experiences with both. 😉
Quote by godsofchaos
Thanks Will! being in the same price range of the Jet City 2212C and after seeing a video comparison between JCA20 (not JCA22) and Bugera V22 I was kinda dumbstruck because it blew the Jet City away. But people did mention that the JCA22 is a step up sonically and feature wise from the JCA20. Just wanted a second affirmation lol. Thanks again.

The V22 hasn't historically been one of their amps that has had problems, but I can't speak to the tonal quality of it. Others here have mentioned they are quite good, and tone has generally not been one of the complaints in regard to Bugera. (And why would it be, they are all near-replicas of well-proven circuits?)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at May 22, 2015,
That's what I heard about their V5/V22/V55 series as well Arby911. But I already took the plunge a couple of hours back. Jet City JCA2212C for me.