Just seen a Valvestate on eBay for £150. I've seen videos on YouTube and you can coax awesome metal tones out of the thing, but is it easy to do so without any additional parameters?

The videos I watched claimed that all they used was a boost (no post EQ-ing or any of that shit). However, others have reccommended a parametric eq to go with it. Also, in certain recordings it can sound rather thin and overly biting imo

What do you think?
Modern metal? No. You definetly need tubescreamer in front. Without it its more '80s Thrash amp. For example Lasse Lammerts clips are all boosted (except maybe his Chuck tone vid) either with Maxon or Protone overdrive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBrF-o07Bgs

The amp is very thin sounding but a trick to somewhat remedy it is to keep the contour knob low. Actually the low end sounds the best when contour knob is OFF but then treble takes a hit and you need an EQ pedal to restore it. Keep the contour knob as low as you can stomach and start EQing the rest from there. Interestingly though Lasse has contour quite high up in that clip but then again there is bass guitar filling the lows.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 13, 2015,
I wouldn't call it thin sounding but it will also depend on the speakers. I dunno what is modern and retro tone anymore, played this amp in thrash band with no extra help and it was fine, played it in a death metal band a few years ago with EQ pedal as boost up front. You can get mids grind as well and you can make it "thick" by eqing it right. This thing running through a 1960a cab is actually a beast.
Thanks. I have a Digitech Hot Head (Digitech's DS-1 clone), so using that as a boost, I would get a somewhat Swedeath tone with the pedal's gain on full, or just a normal boost with it rolled back. The pedal has both Low and High knobs, so that's helpful.

Should I place the EQ before the amp or in the effects loop? And is MXR's 6-band good enough, or should I get a 10-band?
Quote by supertom1
Thanks. I have a Digitech Hot Head (Digitech's DS-1 clone), so using that as a boost, I would get a somewhat Swedeath tone with the pedal's gain on full, or just a normal boost with it rolled back. The pedal has both Low and High knobs, so that's helpful.

Should I place the EQ before the amp or in the effects loop? And is MXR's 6-band good enough, or should I get a 10-band?

In the loop. If you set it before the amp you are shaping your guitars tone, not the amp.

I wouldn't call it thin sounding but it will also depend on the speakers. I dunno what is modern and retro tone anymore, played this amp in thrash band with no extra help and it was fine, played it in a death metal band a few years ago with EQ pedal as boost up front. You can get mids grind as well and you can make it "thick" by eqing it right. This thing running through a 1960a cab is actually a beast.

I admit its possible that there is something wrong with mine because its very low end deficient, even when bass is cranked. I need to check the tube in it some day.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I used my EQ in front. Actually it was a beater DOD eq and set up for boost as well. Coming to think of it I had a smile face on the eq to lower the mids but brought the mids up with the amp's contour (more to the left).

I used TRI-OD in the front on one audition with this amp and blew away this guy that was playing a JCM800. That was killer tone through a stock 1960a cab that they had in there.
I have owned one for 15 years, or so. They are a little thin, to my ear.

While it doesn't have a ton of low-end, thump, I have never run it with an EQ. This is partly because I don't own one, but largely because I think that it sounds perfectly good, in its own right. It doesn't sound like my JCM2000, but that's because it's not a JCM2000, but it puts out great tone for a solid state hybrid. The Contour knob is your friend.

I do run an overdrive pedal into the front of the amp, but mostly because I don't care for the clean channels. I tend to run the amp with one of the "OD" voicings (I like them both: OD1 is crunchy, OD2 is a more high-gain / modern voicing), with the gain somewhere between 9:00-6:00 for my "clean tone," and hit the stomp box for dirt.

Also, Diabolical is right, make sure that you run it through a quality cab--it will make a big difference. I would also recommend making sure that both the pre-amp tube and the reverb tank are good on the one you're purchasing. This particular model is notorious those two issues, and I've had both repaired on mine. That could turn your $165 amp purchase, into a $265 amp purchase.

In summary, it's a great deal for the money, if you're looking for a lot of power and a lot of options. It can get pretty raunchy, but it is not a fire-breather. If you can't shell out the cash for a Rectifier or an Engl, this amp, paired with a good OD (the EQ idea sounds good, too!), ought to do the trick.
My experience was regardless of the cab it will still sound thin and buzzy. We tried 1960A and Soldano 212 and it didn't really help a lot.
Dreadful, dreadful amp. Unless you want that dog awful Death sound, look elsewhere,
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
My experience was regardless of the cab it will still sound thin and buzzy. We tried 1960A and Soldano 212 and it didn't really help a lot.
Dreadful, dreadful amp. Unless you want that dog awful Death sound, look elsewhere,

We have a critic! Maybe you could suggest an alternative? A high-gain, 100w head, at a comparable price?
JCA100 or 6505+ depending on taste. You'll probably have to go used.
A Vyper Tube 60 would work well too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ok after this thread my Valvestate started to bug me so I finally bothered to open the amp and change the tube. And what do you know, the low end came back! As well as a big volume boost which made jump since I didnt touch the settings. I dont know why I didnt notice this before but it seems the EH tube had died at some point because and now that I put in a spare Bugera tube (practically new, taken from my 333) the difference is night and day. Never gave it that much thought since I had two better amps to play with but now the amp feels alive again.

It is still relatively thin amp and the bass knob can be kept quite high without mud but atleast now turning it audibly affects the sound.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 14, 2015,
Well I have had one and with a green monkey up front and an eq in the loop it can sound pretty good and cover a lot of metal tones well. Especially for the price, way better than a Vyper.
i would take a tube vypyr. or a jet city, or a 6505+ or even a XXX or JSX.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hell, a jab in the eye with a sharp stick is better than a shitty Valvestate.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Hell, a jab in the eye with a sharp stick is better than a shitty Valvestate.

maybe a knee in the crotch.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Well, if I was offered to use a VS8100 or a 2203 with a knee in the nuts, I'd still opt for the 2203 and just cop the pain.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
back on topic. they aren't great, but they do have a little niche tone. honestly if you want something that is SS and does decent metal, look into the ampeg VH140C. the VS can do one tone decently, but it is NOT good for much and isn't versatile.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
back on topic. they aren't great, but they do have a little niche tone. honestly if you want something that is SS and does decent metal, look into the ampeg VH140C. the VS can do one tone decently, but it is NOT good for much and isn't versatile.

I totally disagree on that. I bought the VS8100 head and a buddy at the same time got the combo with the 2 Celestion speakers.

So as far as what I've done with it, it is pretty much metal stuff but I played some blues on the clean channel with the drive on and it sounds pretty decent if not even ... dare I say? *good* Seriously, single coil Carvin pickups into this with a Fender knockoff partcaster sounded pretty good for blues. Some decent cleans and a decent sound for rock. Pretty good spring reverb also, not the digital crap like on newer models.

I traded up eventually, keeping it as spare, but that amp did pretty good service from '93 up to somewhere around 2000.

My buddy played pop, top 40s, funk and bubble gum punk (Green Day type of stuff) and for the most part sounded pretty good on all of it. He used a Hamer USA strat style humbucker guitar and had a pretty decent tone with some help from effects.

While it might not be the best amp, quite better sounding than the MG series and with a little effort you could fool some toob snobs of the day...the Marshall logo helped a lot too
Last edited by diabolical at May 15, 2015,
Quote by diabolical

While it might not be the best amp, quite better sounding than the MG series and with a little effort you could fool some toob snobs of the day...the Marshall logo helped a lot too

Immeasurably better than an MG. They are still very mediocre IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!