I've been looking at some signature models of Sugizo's on the ESP website, and I noticed that in several more expensive incarnations of his guitars, the ESP and Navigator models:

The neck pickup is a staple P-90 (an SD custom shop model), whereas on the Edwards incarnations of the same guitars (~Lower-end Gibson/basic US Fender ballpark price range), the staple P-90 is foregone in favour of a standard SD P-90.

The issue of staple P-90s being a custom shop thing notwithstanding, what's special about the staples? Do they sound inherently/majorly different from regular P-90s? I've read that they're better in the neck, not so good in the bridge but I haven't really seen anything meaningful pinned down about the sound.

Sorry if this is more of a GB&C thread, but since it's just a question of sound...
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Staple P-90s were at least originally completely different than a regular P-90. They didn't have the bar magnets of a P-90, hence the larger "staple" pole pieces/magnets. So they do sound quite different, it's not just a different pole piece shape. They're brighter than a comparable P-90, and usually hotter. I imagine you don't see them as bridge pickups because they they would be too brilliant/piercing.

The Duncan staple P-90s are still made this way, I believe. I imagine some other "staple" P-90s are just a regular P-90 with different pole pieces for the visual effect alone.
Quote by Roc8995
I imagine some other "staple" P-90s are just a regular P-90 with different pole pieces for the visual effect alone.

You got that right! I learned that the expensive way a few years back.

The Duncan "Staple" P90 is a great reproduction (so is the Duncan "Staple" P90 with the "Dog Ear" tabs). The only drawback is that both pickups are available only through Duncan's "Custom Shop," so they are on the pricey side: US$225.00 each.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Welp, looks like I know where my student loan will be going...
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Education dies with you. Good guitars live on long afterward!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by K33nbl4d3

I've got an email in to Mike Reilander up in Vancouver. He makes really nice custom P90's, and I'm thinking he'd probably tackle bar post ("staple") pickups if coaxed with filthy lucre.