Hi there.

So, lately I've been looking at some D.I. / Speaker Simulator boxes.
Especially the Palmer PDI-03, PGA-04 and PDI-09.

I must say that by having such device it's much easier to setup up your gear when playing live and recording.
Though, there are some things I'm not quite sure of by doing this, and therefore I really hope you guys can help me with this

So, right now I'm running a basic setup, which I've been doing for a while now.
The setup is this: Guitar - Boss GT-10 Input - GT-10 Mono (L) Output - Marshall MG100DFX Effects Loop Return. Meaning that I use the built-in Preamps and Cabs.
I've found that these are really good and it gives me a great sound!
Then I started looking at some videoes of guitarist Phil Collen from Def Leppard and saw that he uses a Palmer PDI-03 Speaker Simulator along with his other rack gear. That got me thinking.
If I were to use a device such as the Palmer PDI-03 or PDI-09 what would my way of setting it up be?? And what problems would I ran into?
What about the Amps and Cabs I'm already using in the GT-10? - I like them and the sounds I've made. What will happen if I just connect it to the Palmer PDI-09 / 03??
From what I can imagine I would say that the two Speaker Simulators would be mixed? Right? The one from the GT-10 and the other fra the Palmer device, right?

How would I go about doing this?

Many thanks!
I don't see any point in using a Palmer with that amp, and it's even less practical since you're only using the Marshall as a power amp for the modeler. Using the GT10 straight into your recording interface or PA should give you a better result.

The Palmer type stuff is for knocking down a tube amp to a recording level. Taking a modeling unit, amplifying it, and then "un-amplifying" with the Palmer is a waste of time and money. If you want a simpler live rig, ditch the Marshall and use the Boss straight into the PA. The Boss already has speaker sim built in.
The speaker simulator is just that: a device that allows you to go direct and without a cabinet; the speaker simulator working as both a load box (check that impedance first!!!) and coloring your sound so that it has the characteristics of speakers into a microphone and into the P.A. If you want to do without cabinets, but find a D.I. Box to be a bit on the sterile side, then by all means, go with a good speaker simulator. The Palmer units have been the most popular for years, but some other companies have recently tried to take some of the market from them.

A speaker simulator would be the last part of your signal chain before you plug direct into the board; just like your cabinet would be the last part of the chain before it went into a microphone, and then into the board. Your effects would go into the effects loop of your amplifier; just as always.

I do not know many guitarists who like speaker simulator rigs. Unless you have a good modeling rig (think: AXE-FX; DigiDesign's Eleven; or a Kemper Profiler Amplifier; etc.), you might find that your guitar sound in a direct rig is a bit "sterile" or "lifeless." Most of the people I have seen who like the speaker simulators are bass players, and more of them are going direct every day.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Depending upon the box, a DI/Cab Sim box might would have a 1/4 input and XLR output. Some might have 1/4 ins and outs, which is what you'll need. If you're using your amp, you would be sending a cab sim'd signal that is emulating a mic'd speaker in a PA system, but sending that signal to a loudspeaker. Kinda counter productive I would say, and you might could loose some frequencies you would want.

If you wanted to go Guitar-GT-Cab Sim/DI box-PA system/Recodring that could work. But you probably wouldn't need any cabs on the GT (amp models are good though). You would need a 1/4 input and XLR output for this. Depending upon the box, the cab sim quality can range from just a low pass/high cut filter, to studio-quality sims. That's $ though.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 14, 2015,
Hi again.

Thanks for all your answers - I'm glad!

So, after I've done some research, I've found out that what I need is a regular D.I. Box - a Passive D.I. Box. I've been told that a Palmer Pan-01 Passive D.I. Box should do the job.
The point is, I like the direct sound I get from the GT-10 and its built-in amps and cabs and therefore I only need a D.I. Box without a Speaker Sim in it..
But, the questions is then - how would I connect all this??

The rig is:

Guitar - Boss GT-10 input - Boss GT-10 Output Mono (L) - Marshall MG100DFX Effects Loop Return.

Thanks!
What do you need the DI box for? What are you plugging it into? I think you're making this harder than it needs to be.

The GT10 is pretty much a one-stop solution. If you're plugging into a recording interface or a PA you just go straight in from the GT10, no need for the amp and definitely no point in using the amp plus another piece of hardware to reinvent (poorly) what the GT10 was designed specifically to do.

The DI box would be for if you only had an amp with a line out. The GT10 is a substitute for that whole amp/silent line out/DI Box rig.
Well, I wanna be able to plug it into the PA so that I don't have to mic up my amplifier and by that achieving a more consistent sound.. Or am I wrong here??

Alright, so I would go from the GT-10's output to the PA or?
How would that be done?

Sorry for all this, but I'm not familiar with this at all!...
Plug the GT-10 output straight into your mixer. I'm sure it's in the manual, it's definitely something these pedals are designed to do.
You'll have to change output type from amplifier to line level. If you want you can get a HKRedbox which goes between your amp and cab, that way your sound doesn't change and you're sending what you're hearing at the amp...but I don't see why not use a dynamic much at the cab and get it over with?
For recording I'd just use the Boss and set it for line level. Problem is that all these patches will change sound as I've experienced, every time you put them through difernt outputs.