I currently own a Peavey VK212 that I bought for $325 from a buddy a few years ago but now I'm looking to explore further into some more expensive yet affordable amps (I'm jobless), and one that caught my eye was the Orange CR120H.

My question is, is this an upgrade or a downgrade? The VK is definitely an outstanding amplifier and I've gotten a lot of use out of it and I've created some killer tones, but it's just not right for me anymore. I was a kid who started off with the gain maxed (and this amp handles it incredibly), but now after 7 years of playing I'm dialing the knob back a lot for a crunch to get a lot of classic rock and modern alternative/blues rock style tones, and using an MXR Distortion+ on top of that to kick it up when I need it.

If it's a downgrade or not that great of an upgrade, what would be a good amp to check out?
Last edited by Distophase at May 13, 2015,
Way down. Don't do it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by darkwolf291
This
Hooker's don't go down as much

I kind of figured it'd be a downgrade. Either of you know what would be the next step up from the VK?
Have you upgraded the speakers yet? If not, throw some V30's into it. That may be all you need.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by darkwolf291
Genre?

I play much more classic rock (Zeppelin, Hendrix, Thin Lizzy, that kind of stuff) and I've been gaining a finger for modern blues rock and alternative because of inspirations like Rival Sons, Reignwolf, Monster Truck, and The Sheepdogs.

I'd like something that's great for a classic crunchy lead and a dirty fuzz, but also has a great clean channel.
Quote by Cathbard
Have you upgraded the speakers yet? If not, throw some V30's into it. That may be all you need.

I've had two Yamaha EAS speakers and I've been using Fender Groove Tubes since I bought it. He had the tubes in already and I've tried them before anyway, and the speakers I already owned. They were much better than what he had in it before.
Quote by Distophase
I play much more classic rock (Zeppelin, Hendrix, Thin Lizzy, that kind of stuff) and I've been gaining a finger for modern blues rock and alternative because of inspirations like Rival Sons, Reignwolf, Monster Truck, and The Sheepdogs.

I'd like something that's great for a classic crunchy lead and a dirty fuzz, but also has a great clean channel.

this is kinda funny as that type of stuff is what the VK does best. as mentioned a speaker change will help. ditch the distortion+ and get yourself an overdrive and perhaps a fuzz. don't bother usig the boost function and as mentioned use the overdrive instead. way more control and a better tone.
Quote by Distophase
I've had two Yamaha EAS speakers and I've been using Fender Groove Tubes since I bought it. He had the tubes in already and I've tried them before anyway, and the speakers I already owned.

I have no idea what those speakers are like, unfortunately.

Groove Tube don't make tubes, they just test and rebadge them. You have to decode the part number to know what they actually are.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I have no idea what those speakers are like, unfortunately.

Groove Tube don't make tubes, they just test and rebadge them. You have to decode the part number to know what they actually are.

They're only marked GTSL6B.
You mean GT6L6B don't you? They're Sovtek power tubes.
What about the preamp tubes?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You mean GT6L6B don't you? They're Sovtek power tubes.
What about the preamp tubes?

Preamp tubes are Electro Harmonix 12AX7/ECC83. They're stock, it's printed in front of each tube socket.
Those are all ok. Not the best but ok. Maybe throw a JJ ECC83S into V1.
Your problem is most likely the speakers. Throw some Celestion Vintage 30's into it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Those are all ok. Not the best but ok. Maybe throw a JJ ECC83S into V1.
Your problem is most likely the speakers. Throw some Celestion Vintage 30's into it.

I've been considering that but the cost has been kicking me in the groin. At this point, though, I think I'll give it a try. Thanks!!
Quote by diabolical
I'd say move up to VK MkII, better build and more versatile from what I hear...or Traynor YCB50.

Just had a short demo listen and the II sounds incredible.
Quote by Distophase
I've been considering that but the cost has been kicking me in the groin. At this point, though, I think I'll give it a try. Thanks!!

I'd pickup the Avatar Hellatone 60's ($109) rather than the Vintage 30's at someplace like Parts Express ($145). The Hellatone is a Vintage 30 that's been run through 15 hours of a break-in program and then re-stickered. Vintage 30's will change their sound slightly as you break them in; the Hellatone 60's are a great deal that will not only save you money but will also sound better when you get them. http://avatarspeakers.com/home/product/hellatone-60/
Quote by Distophase

These are broken in, re-brainded V30's. I bought a used one for $70, which wasn't too bad considering a new V30 is $140.

http://avatarspeakers.com/home/product/hellatone-60/
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Ebay is full of V30's for around $100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
@Cath
Yes, indeed. +$15-$23 shipping. Not sure how much shipping from Avatar would be, but still figured it would be a viable option.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by Distophase
Just had a short demo listen and the II sounds incredible.

although it has a couple of new features the amp itself is the same. must have been a really well done video.
I had a VK and here is my .311 cents

The EHX preamp tubes I've experienced were crap. Cathbard has a good suggestion with the JJ preamp tube (I love them) but some complain they don't work well with an already dark Valveking.

I had good success with a JJ in V1, Penta Labs (Shuguang 9th Gen) in V2 and a JAN 5751 in V3. I do recommend JJ power tubes if you need power tubes.

In the old days, people used to complain that the Vintage 30 was just not the greatest replacement speaker for this amp. Most recommended the WGS Veteran 30 though. The Hellatone 60 may be a good option. Eminence makes some really nice affordable speakers too. I put a RedCoat ManOWar in my VK.

I also agree on the OD pedal vs the Disti pedal.

I suggest trying an EQ pedal in the loop. The Dano Fish n Chips 6 band is a great EQ pedal for $35.

The Traynor YCV50B that Diabolical suggested would def be step up. That amp is ready to go out of the box.
@311
The Hellatone 60 is a re-branded Vintage 30. I bought one today and it says "Celestion Vintage 30" on the sticker.

I also second the EQ pedal. I got one in a trade and wow. Pretty amazing change in tone.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Oh yeah. I know the Hellatone 60 is a rebranded Vintage 30. I spoke to Dave at Avatar about these when I bought my Avatar cab. That was 5+ years ago.

I bring it up because they are cheaper than Vintage 30s - so if you don't like it it won't hurt as much and because I know Vintage 30s have a reputation of not sounding great until they are broken in so a Hellatone may give a better representation of a Vintage 30 out of the box - without waiting on break in.

Personally - I'd hit up WGS or Eminence.

Celestion wise - I was super happy with my G12H30 when I had it.
For sure, just wanted to make sure we were all clear! I actually got a Hellatone 60L, a special voiced V30 with more low-end. I am pretty excited to pair it with regular V30.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
They break in fairly quickly though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by monwobobbo
although it has a couple of new features the amp itself is the same. must have been a really well done video.

It blew my VK212 away, so it must have been.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I suggest trying an EQ pedal in the loop. The Dano Fish n Chips 6 band is a great EQ pedal for $35.

I've been looking into EQ's for a long time, I'll definitely take a look at the Fish n Chips.
Quote by Distophase
It blew my VK212 away, so it must have been.

I've been looking into EQ's for a long time, I'll definitely take a look at the Fish n Chips.

well dunno what to tell you. i use a VK112 for a practice amp ancd have tried the new ones as well. didn't really notice any real difference.
You'd probably get decent resale on it, get yourself the Traynor and don't worry about a thing!

How about these Celestions?
I did a 2x12 with them and they had a nice bitier quality which should work well with the VK which is a bit on the duller side:
http://celestion.com/product/15/g12t75/

I was running Eminence for a while but I think this amp needs something livelier like the Hellatone or Celestions mentioned, the Eminence are too clean and tame IMO.
Last edited by diabolical at May 14, 2015,
I plugged in some JSX cab speakers into my VK and wow, what a huge difference. Even other crappy Peavey speakers are better than they are.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Don't forget that probably no acoustic thought went into the design of the VK cabs, so that's not a big surprise. For a weird experiment see if you can stuff some loose pillows inside your VK cab, it did wonders for me when I was running a horrid Crate.
Quote by diabolical
Don't forget that probably no acoustic thought went into the design of the VK cabs, so that's not a big surprise. For a weird experiment see if you can stuff some loose pillows inside your VK cab, it did wonders for me when I was running a horrid Crate.

No acoustic thought went into the design of just about any commonly used cab. The alleged "Best Selling Cab of all time" is the Marshall 1960, and legend has it that it was sketched out on the shop floor and designed so it could be built from a single sheet of plywood.

Stacking 4 speakers in a square is a pretty crappy design acoustically in any case, and you can only polish a turd so much...as long as a cab has decent speakers and decent build quality, that's about as good as it gets.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin