Does the now legendary Marshall 100 Watt head pack enough gain to handle 80s rock? Think Guns N' Roses, Scorpions, Whitesnake, that kind of stuff.

Volume is not going to be an issue, I plan to use an attenuator between the amp and the cab.

Thanks!
Yamaha F310P "Bella"
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Goldtop "Chrysa"
Fender Standard Stratocaster "Michelle"
Fender Classic Series 70s Stratocaster "Nefertiti"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

Dunlop Stubby 3.0mm picks
D'Addario strings
Marshall's Super Lead Plexi was never a high-gain amp. To get it to distort at all, you have to play it at deafening volume levels. As others have said, you will need a pedal to get your high-gain stuff. Fortunately, the Marshall SLP is a great amplifier, and it takes pedals very well. Get yourself a Wampler Triple Wreck or SLOstortion pedal to go with it and you are set.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Just get an 800 if you're worried about more gain on tap. It'll do the 80s and still sounds decent for classic rock when you crank it up.

Really though, how about a budget? There's other options out there besides Plexis and Marshalls in general that can probably get you what you want.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Splawn

+1. its everything that a Marshall should have been but failed to be.

Three gears for different gain levels, footswitchable OD1/OD2, footswitchable second master volume for a volume boost dialed in by knob, etc. you can find them cheap too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Just get an 800 if you're worried about more gain on tap. It'll do the 80s and still sounds decent for classic rock when you crank it up.

Really though, how about a budget? There's other options out there besides Plexis and Marshalls in general that can probably get you what you want.

I have heard it in clips, and basically sounds like a knife going through your ear with all that treble
Yamaha F310P "Bella"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

D'Addario strings
Quote by CostasNoir
I have heard it in clips, and basically sounds like a knife going through your ear with all that treble

no. that is how some idiot EQ'd it. they sound good when ran properly.

seriously look into a splawn quick rod.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by CostasNoir

You wont like a plexi then, theyre pretty trebly amps too.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by CostasNoir

and yet these were the amps used by the bands you mentioned. keep in mind that an amp played by itself won't sound the same as in a band mix. the JCM 800 was the sound of 80s metal.
I may have to take that back about the JCM800 being overly trebly, did some YouTube research and it sounds really good and balanced. I was probably watching videos with the amp EQd terrible, as trashedlostfdup said.
Yamaha F310P "Bella"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

D'Addario strings
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Plexi is a great amp. Surprisingly, it actually sounded very close to the Carl Martin Plexitone when put in the cross configuration, bottom left feeds top right, I think (jumpered config).

It will pull AC/DC, maybe Scorps but it will be at deafening volumes. Takes really good with pedals up front though, so you can pick up a HT-Dual or Sansamp Original and get quite a few good tones out of it. You could also try it with the Yngwie overdrive (DOD 250, I think) - that's the original Yngwie tone.

Great amp when eqed and set up properly. The best Marshall cleans. If I can, I'd own one.

Even though this is the Plexitone, it sounds pretty close to what I got out of a Plexi in studio conditions under some really loud settings in an iso booth:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/DistShootout/Samples/carl%20martin%20plexitone.mp3
Last edited by diabolical at May 14, 2015,
Quote by CostasNoir

So you basically have no clue as to what you want
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by diabolical
Plexi is a great amp. Surprisingly, it actually sounded very close to the Carl Martin Plexitone when put in the cross configuration, bottom left feeds top right, I think (jumpered config).

It will pull AC/DC, maybe Scorps but it will be at deafening volumes. Takes really good with pedals up front though, so you can pick up a HT-Dual or Sansamp Original and get quite a few good tones out of it. You could also try it with the Yngwie overdrive (DOD 250, I think) - that's the original Yngwie tone.

Great amp when eqed and set up properly. The best Marshall cleans. If I can, I'd own one.

Even though this is the Plexitone, it sounds pretty close to what I got out of a Plexi in studio conditions under some really loud settings in an iso booth:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/DistShootout/Samples/carl%20martin%20plexitone.mp3

Yep, put a shit pedal through a good amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by diabolical

good playing but sir that does not sound good.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by diabolical
Which one is the sh*t pedal?

The HT dual
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
For the same price as the HT-Dual new I'd rather this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eiiN26BY3M

Maybe not quite as many higher gain tones but still very versatile (and sound fucking amazing)
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by gregs1020
splawn

Splawn.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by diabolical
Is that Atomic Steve Stevens in a box? Sure sounds li

Tbf with the gain dialed back you can get some decent Kossoff tones.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Yeah man. If volume is no issue and you have an attenuater then it will be pretty good for that kind of stuff. Buy an OD pedal was well. Randy Rhoads used one cranked and his sound was every bit as heavy as GNR so it should do you well.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Randy used a distortion pedal into his Marshall for his metal tone iirc.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Plexis are only useful for novelty/historical value. Non MV amps are just poor design, whichever way you look at it.

Get a JCM800, turn the volume all the way up and use the gain as your volume. Magic, you now have a Plexi. For all intents and purposes anyway. If you can find a MV 2203 that's even closer.

Better yet, get a JCM2000 DSL100. It's a Plexi, JCM800, and a clean channel all in one. Depending on how you run it.

And if you don't mind not having a Marshall, there are amps that do Marshall "better", these guys will tell you all about them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Plexis are only useful for novelty/historical value. Non MV amps are just poor design, whichever way you look at it.

Get a JCM800, turn the volume all the way up and use the gain as your volume. Magic, you now have a Plexi. For all intents and purposes anyway. If you can find a MV 2203 that's even closer.

Better yet, get a JCM2000 DSL100. It's a Plexi, JCM800, and a clean channel all in one. Depending on how you run it.

And if you don't mind not having a Marshall, there are amps that do Marshall "better", these guys will tell you all about them.

+311 on the JCM 2000 DSL100.

Splawns and Soldanos are probably non-starters since he's in Greece.
Quote by Ippon

Splawns and Soldanos are probably non-starters since he's in Greece.

Nah, he just needs to get Merkel to pay for them

I am all for the Plexi, its a nice vibey amp and it feels like you finally got a chance to sleep with that Scandinavian model you've been chasing for 5 years and it turns out she's no fun in the sack...but your friends still envy you.