I have a Traynor YGL1 I use for my Strat HSS and PRS Mira. I want to get pedals useful for blues and rock. What would be the essentials I would need? My budget is not unlimited but I don't mind spending for decent quality.
Don't believe everything you think
Tubescreamer variant.

Chorus

Clean Boost of some sort.

Maybe a Fuzz

Really, not a lot. There are others you could add but it's debatable if they are necessary or not. (as are the ones I've mentioned, quite frankly.)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I think "essential pedals" are a matter of personnal taste. I like my Trem alot and a Wah.
I agree you don't need much. If I were going blues heavy, though, I'd prioritize a tremolo pedal before a chorus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHyqqPsB_F4&sns=em

Then a good fuzz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDh2QcwK-6I&sns=em

After trem & fuzz, a chorus would be good, but an OD or OD/Dist is almost required for rock. Wah can be fun, but isn't crucial- been playing electrics since 2005, just got my first wah this year.

A good reverb and/or echo pedal can get you some nice, haunting effects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaW9FwFE4vQ&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 14, 2015,
here is what i use for classic rock/blues

wah: fulltone clyde
OD1: zendrive (low OD)
OD2: fulltone OCD (high OD)
modulation: Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe (really nice and really cheap)
delay: malekko 616

i don't use fuzz, i would have to say my favorite that i have tried is the musket fuzz, but something fuzz-face based would probably be better for you want.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
for blues or blues rock really all you need is an overdrive. a wah and a delay are good investments as well. other than a phaser that's all i have on my board (use fuzz on my hendrix board)
Essential:
An overdrive (either a 'screamer or a Klone, blues-breaker based is fine too). I'd say Klone.

Non-essential but nice to have:
A Wah. I'd suggest the Crybaby with true bypass or Modtone Wah.
Heavier overdrive to boost the amp more.
Reverb. Hall of Fame/HOF mini.
Everyone will have there own essential pedals.

Mine are a fuzz, OD, reverb, delay and a Loop pedal
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Thanks everyone, this is a great help. I'm taking my GAS down to L&M this afternoon!
You don't need anything. All I need is wah very rarely. I just prefer guitar straight to the amp, no signal issues, no battery issues, nothin. But if you're using a solid state amp get a distortion pedal. The built in distortion on solid states are usually pretty bad
Quote by xnameisonx
Saw this in another thread earlier. It may be of interest.

https://youtu.be/ZkGCvLstPrE

cool video. bet it helps to have several thousand $s worth of guitar and amp. somehow you have to wonder if he's sound as good with epi starter pack guitar and amp.
Quote by monwobobbo
cool video. bet it helps to have several thousand $s worth of guitar and amp. somehow you have to wonder if he's sound as good with epi starter pack guitar and amp.

Well sure
But TS isn't using a starter pack guitar and amp

I also looked up a video of the Traynor YGL1 on YouTube. Seems like it should be quite capable of getting decent sounds this way.

That said I'd probably get some kind of Rat clone personally just because I like that flavour of distortion (I don't actually play much blues/blues rock so that may not be relevant but look into it), but I wouldn't say it was essential
There's nothing you absolutely need, although if I had to point out the one most useful and versatile pedal, it would be hands down reverb - makes your tone more lively and interesting pretty much regardless of style and genre.
For me playing rock, I'd say:
An OD of some kind (the OCD is my choice because you can tweak the gain for different levels)
A chorus (EH Small Clone is awesome)
A wah (Dunlop 535Q is pretty much the standard for wahs)
A delay (if digital go with the Boss, if analog go with the Carbon Copy)

For blues maybe a trem over the chorus (I don't know too much about trems because I don't use them) but it is a pretty common effect for blues.

If you don't need a ton of gain the Tubescreamer is really the best choice for well priced overdrives.
If I'm using a single channel amp, all I need is an overdrive. Occasionally I use wah, but I can live without it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'll add a MXR 10 Band EQ to the list.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
My pedal board is -

Arion Analog Delay (always on, one echo, barely tell it's there)
Dan Electro Rocky Road (close to a flanger)
Marshall Bluesbreaker Overdrive
Distortion pedal (one of three, whatever I feel like using)
Volume pedal (mandatory)
A/B switch going into both channels of a Super Reverb. Each set for different tone, normal channel a bit louder and brighter for leads

Reverb channel of the amp is set for very light reverb, about 2 on the knob.

Most of the time the only effect I use is the overdrive. Flanger was used last weekend's gig once, distortion once, and of course echo is on all the time. Overdrive was used almost every song.

I play mostly classic rock and blues, if I need to go light I carry overdrive and volume pedal, that's it. That's what I use at band practice, don't need anything else. For what you're doing, the very first thing you need is an overdrive pedal. I love a volume pedal too, but try just a overdrive for a while and see if you really need anything else.

For classic rock and blues, or any style actually, a delay is handy, if you know how to use it, a chorus or flanger is useful now and then, but an overdrive is...ok I can't live without mine...it's the only thing I really need, the rest is icing. I can play anything we want to do with nothing but that and the volume pedal, even for gigging. I had to do it a few weeks ago when I forgot my pedal board, all I had was volume pedal and overdrive, already in the gig bag for practice. Never noticed the difference...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I play similar styles, and I have a wah, tubescreamer, delay, fuzz, looper, tremolo, and a tuner. You may want to look into a leslie or univibe pedal too. And a reverb, I dont think your amp comes with it.
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
Off the top of my head you can go with this one which should cover everything:
http://carlmartin.com/quattro/

All analog fx pedals in one.

Otherwise I'd say you'd be pretty much down Voodoolabs' alley for everything:
Sparkle Drive OD, Chorus, maybe Tremolo, maybe Octavia fuzz, possibly a compressor, I'd say MXR, and some kind of Echo/Reverb pedal, maybe Roland RE-20.
Soooo, OP...

Did you buy anything? Did you find anything you have questions about?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Still holding on to my wallet....
but I think a tuner, OD, wah, and tremolo look like a good place to start. Now I just have to decide which ones

I was looking at the Line 6 M5 expression pedal. Any thoughts on this? It looks like a way to try out a lot of pedals in one package.
Last edited by Fretski at May 16, 2015,
Korg Pitchblack is the tuner I use.

There are good trem pedal recommendations here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1676589

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 16, 2015,
Quote by Fretski
Still holding on to my wallet....
but I think a tuner, OD, wah, and tremolo look like a good place to start. Now I just have to decide which ones

I was looking at the Line 6 M5 expression pedal. Any thoughts on this? It looks like a way to try out a lot of pedals in one package.

the expression pedal isn't a seperate effect. it is used to control functions on certain styles of fx. you would need a multi-fx unit to go with it.

i suggest looking into Morley Wahs. personally i use either a Classic or a Power.
I wouldn't personally go Morley for Blues, i found mine a bit too metal-voiced, not vocal bluesy sweep. The new crybaby mini looks pretty sweet, different voices, pedalboard friendly footprint, might be worth a look, otherwise try out the standard crybaby or vox wah.

Getting an M5 for modulation might be a good shout if you're new to effects, has lots of good chorus/tremolo/delays/reverbs, so you can try them all out and see what dedicated units you want. But you would probably want a separate wah and overdrive.

I swear by my reverb and delay combo (TC hall of fame and Malekko 616) really useful for different genres, from blues to ambient just giving some extra life to my sound (and covering my sloppy playing...)

Recently found a new love of my Carl Martin Classic Chorus, using the volume setting as a warm clean boost in front of the amp, after my main overdrive, hardly any modulation on it, makes a nice change to my usual tubescreamer in that position.
Quote by jaybals
I wouldn't personally go Morley for Blues, i found mine a bit too metal-voiced, not vocal bluesy sweep. The new crybaby mini looks pretty sweet, different voices, pedalboard friendly footprint, might be worth a look, otherwise try out the standard crybaby or vox wah.

Getting an M5 for modulation might be a good shout if you're new to effects, has lots of good chorus/tremolo/delays/reverbs, so you can try them all out and see what dedicated units you want. But you would probably want a separate wah and overdrive.

I swear by my reverb and delay combo (TC hall of fame and Malekko 616) really useful for different genres, from blues to ambient just giving some extra life to my sound (and covering my sloppy playing...)

Recently found a new love of my Carl Martin Classic Chorus, using the volume setting as a warm clean boost in front of the amp, after my main overdrive, hardly any modulation on it, makes a nice change to my usual tubescreamer in that position.

which Morley were you using? the classic is voiced the same as it was back in teh mid 70s when it came out. works great for blues and classic rock.