Page 1 of 2
Are you writing your essay or is your pencil?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by JustRooster
I'm not writing anything, I'm drinking coffee

I was drinking coffee. Now I'm cleaning it off the monitor.
Quote by JustRooster
I'm not writing anything, I'm drinking coffee

Don't be silly, you just wrote something right now.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by JustRooster

Why not?

Not much of a test of anything. Tone variations would be pretty much masked by the amount of gain, and honestly there wasn't much for the "hands" to do (either one).
ffs if you're gonna do an experiment like this, chuggalugging high gain riffs isn't going to highlight extremely nuanced differences between the players. What a failure of a video honestly so dumb, you have to have them play something that has more "feel" based things in it, legato runs, pinch harmonics, sharp vibratos, etc.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
None of which has anything to do with "tone., IMHO, but rather, illustrate the guitarists' technique and taste.

Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.

...and not surprisingly, viewing the video with monitors on & eyes closed, couldn't tell if they used one guitarist or twelve.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 15, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
Not much of a test of anything. Tone variations would be pretty much masked by the amount of gain, and honestly there wasn't much for the "hands" to do (either one).

Quote by Acϵ♠
ffs if you're gonna do an experiment like this, chuggalugging high gain riffs isn't going to highlight extremely nuanced differences between the players. What a failure of a video honestly so dumb, you have to have them play something that has more "feel" based things in it, legato runs, pinch harmonics, sharp vibratos, etc.

Agreed. I thought I heard some differences in a couple of places but this "test" is deeply flawed.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Even this guy's t-shirt is douchey.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Agreed. I thought I heard some differences in a couple of places but this "test" is deeply flawed.

The biggest difference was during the full chords part, when the guy with the biggest hands had the clearest sounding chords. This whole video was just nonsense lol.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

soooo tone is in the amp?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by dspellman

+1

Also I'd say that using completely suitable kit for the type of music being played doesn't really prove that much. Like, if I put 2 top Formula 1 Drivers in identical Formula 1 cars, you can confidently state that the driver makes all the difference, and there's not much evidence to disprove that.

Put one of those drivers into an F1 car, and the other into a family hatchback, and now does the driver make all the difference?

Also I unapologetically listened to that test on my laptop
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Also I unapologetically listened to that test on my laptop

I used some beefy speakers hooked up to my TV. You missed nothing.

I want that Beta Lead in the video.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by dannyalcatraz

This. Please, let's print this in golden 72 font somewhere and close the "tone is in the hands!!!1" thing forever.
He said "You're going to need studio monitors for this". I don't need studio monitors to tell the difference between two guitars or two amps. So what's even the point of testing if the guitarist is "the single biggest factor" in tone?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by dannyalcatraz

^

Well Danny. You're going in my sig. I agree.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by lemurflames
I used some beefy speakers hooked up to my TV. You missed nothing.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I basically wanted to start a thread about how Glenn Fricker is a doucher, and I've succeeded. I showed this to my boss, we're actually thinking of doing a reply video with a Strat and a Princeton.
i can't say i heard much of s difference but with that much gain who cares. seems like a variety of licks through some different settings would have done a better job. they might have well have gone into GC and had 3 guys playing Line 6 spyders on insane setting and asked if we could tell the difference.
Quote by JustRooster
I basically wanted to start a thread about how Glenn Fricker is a doucher

I already knew this. He had a bit of a rant video hating on digital preamps and managed to piss off half the internet.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by JustRooster
I basically wanted to start a thread about how Glenn Fricker is a doucher, and I've succeeded. I showed this to my boss, we're actually thinking of doing a reply video with a Strat and a Princeton.

Well there's no discussion there, everyone knows that's the case!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I still don't see how playing differently, no matter if you're playing uber brutalz with gain at 15 or cleans on a Fender, makes your tone different. It's called a style, not tone.
ya lol glenn fricker can kick rocks
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by JustRooster

Do it, but change the settings each time.. Then people will be all like "I knew it the tone is all in the fingers" and then you will have tricked them all. Make it super obvious, like the pickup switch or knobs clearly moved. People will still fall for it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by TheLiberation
I still don't see how playing differently, no matter if you're playing uber brutalz with gain at 15 or cleans on a Fender, makes your tone different. It's called a style, not tone.

Play closer to the neck and then play close to the bridge. Play with the fat side of the pick and then play with the sharp side. Play with the tip of your thumb and then play with the side. Pluck up and then pluck down. Hit the strings hard and then hit them softly. Hold the pick horizontal to the strings then hold it at an angle. All of those things will give you different tones. It's much more apparent when not playing high-gain.
Honestly, those are small variances in tone compared to what you'd get from engaging/disengaging a pedal, spinning knobs, or completely switching axes or amps.

I can point out similar tonal variances due to technique in the violin family of instruments, but whether I'm playing a student instrument or a fine Stradivarius will make a bigger difference.

I don't even have to go those extremes in comparison: the difference between my entry-level pro cello and my teacher's 450yr old instrument was night & day. Not only was his sweeter, but it projected sound energy much more efficiently. Playing an open C forte on my cello would fill our practice room with a sweet, deep note. Playing an open C forte on his could rattle knick-knacks on the shelves.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by JELIFISH19
Play closer to the neck and then play close to the bridge. Play with the fat side of the pick and then play with the sharp side. Play with the tip of your thumb and then play with the side. Pluck up and then pluck down. Hit the strings hard and then hit them softly. Hold the pick horizontal to the strings then hold it at an angle. All of those things will give you different tones. It's much more apparent when not playing high-gain.

What Danny said (switching from bridge to neck pickup or vice versa is a much more drastic difference in tone than any of these, not to mention stuff like different guitars and different amps), and still this is much more easily and logically defined as a style.

A tone is something completely different. You won't make your tone fatter or more trebly by playing differently, while on the other hand even using a different pick influences that. You won't make your tone cleaner or more distorted by playing differently (unless the amp is set in a kind of "in between" clean/crunch setting, but that's still controlled by your gear in the first place).

Your style is in the fingers, your tone is in the gear. If you're a brutal death metal player, you won't sound brutal trying to palm mute hard on a single coil strat through a clean amp. If you're a delicate blues player, you won't sound subtle and delicate on an 8-string with EMGs through a cranked Peavey 5150. In both cases it will be instantly heard their style is different than what's most usually done with such gear, but the tone won't be.
The large amount of gain used masks any nuance the players might have. Might be better on a clean setting or an in between setting where chords are crunchy and clean notes are a bit compressed.
Quote by TheLiberation

A tone is something completely different. You won't make your tone fatter or more trebly by playing differently, while on the other hand even using a different pick influences that. You won't make your tone cleaner or more distorted by playing differently (unless the amp is set in a kind of "in between" clean/crunch setting, but that's still controlled by your gear in the first place).

You absolutely can.

Arg, these situations always start with some eejit arguing some ridiculous extreme, and then end up with someone else arguing the opposite extreme, which is arguably equally silly.

There's a lot of overlap in the middle. Knowing how to use your gear and get the most out of it, is that gear tone or player tone, for example?

Both the gear and the player are important.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
You absolutely can.

Arg, these situations always start with some eejit arguing some ridiculous extreme, and then end up with someone else arguing the opposite extreme, which is arguably equally silly.

There's a lot of overlap in the middle. Knowing how to use your gear and get the most out of it, is that gear tone or player tone, for example?

Both the gear and the player are important.

people here argue i must have missed that post

you definitely can change tone by playing. something as simple as where you pick will make a difference. picking dynamics will also affect tone.

without out a doubt your overall tone and style are interdependant. that's the great thing about electric guitar you have a great deal of control over the sound depending on a bunch of factors.
^ LOL

And agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It is a sum of all the parts that is responsible for the sound you make not just one thing!!

Or is it??

Your mind controls you!! When it comes to your actions, belief on what you hear etc. it is all in your mind!! You decide when it sounds right to you when it come down to your playing and the sound coming out of it.

Sure you don't sound like a Mesa/boogie or Marshall stack but your controls your hands and fingers. Hopefully it will come out as feel at some point and you decide for you when you are there,
Quote by JustRooster

and?

Quote by theogonia777
Do it, but change the settings each time.. Then people will be all like "I knew it the tone is all in the fingers" and then you will have tricked them all. Make it super obvious, like the pickup switch or knobs clearly moved. People will still fall for it.

This is a killer idea, actually.

Quote by gregs1020
and?

It was great until Dave started being so damn agreeable!
1) Make a Venn Diagram shirt for where tone comes from, "Fingers" and "Gear":
http://www.spreadshirt.com/you-and-me-nsfw-venn-diagram-t-shirts-C3376A100816590

2) ...then have a busty "guitar grrrrl" model it.

3) win the internet

Quote by JustRooster

It was great until Dave started being so damn agreeable!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheLiberation
If you want to truly win the internet, it needs a cat somewhere in the mix.

...let's do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzKFbUxYJys Follow this vid for tips
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Page 1 of 2